Minutes for February 9, 2017

Date: February 9, 2017

Location: Conservation Central Office & Research Center, Columbia, MO

Time: 9:30 a.m.

Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:33 a.m.

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Tim Haithcoat—  present
USGS David Nail—  absent
OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—  absent
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell—  present
MoDOT Joe Carter—  present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—  telephone
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—  telephone
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—  excused
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Andy Hunter – excused
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Past-chair—  present
OA-ITSD Revenue Jason Hinson— telephone
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—  telephone
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—  telephone
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—  telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—  telephone
Wilson & Co. Eric Cenovich—  present
USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—  present
Surdex Tim Donze, Treasurer—  excused
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski—present
St. Charles County Mark Duewell – present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—  present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—  present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—  telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair—  present
City of Lee Summit Steve Marsh—  present
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—  excused, Spicci proxy
City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—  telephone
MoRAP Diane True—  present
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—  telephone
Boone County Jason Warzinik—  present
MU Extension Shannon White—  present
 

Other Attendees

St. Louis County Lauren Voelker, Melisa McLean
Custom Meeting Planners Jamie Schieber
Census

Fugro

MSDIS

Craig Best

Les Bevin

TomVogt

   
  1. Approval of Minutes January minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Steve Marsh, seconded by Mark Duewell, approved by vote

 

Melissa reminded the group that names are needed for officer nominations (due in May) and the input is needed for next year’s budget.

 

  1. MGISAC Administration

4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

  • No report

 

4.2 MSDIS report — Tom Vogt / Tim Haithcoat

  • Working to get things organized for the conference
  • New brochure (passed around to committee)
  • Planning for this year’s clearinghouse summit to be hosted in Missouri likely in August. Looking for ideas of activities in Columbia
  • Added 8 LiDAR projects for download as DEM and LAS (2012 Mo Central, Cape Girardeau – Stoddard, Marion-Ralls, New Madrid – Pemiscot, Shannon, Ste. Genevieve, Stoddard – Mississippi and Vernon-Barton)
  • Add MDC imagery service for infrastructure data, LAS files available at Washington University
  • Rolled out new LiDAR map service
  • Disabled the ‘download all’ function as at least two users have tried to download an excessive amount of data.
  • Working on improving data discovery tools
  • Working on fixing issues with SSL

 

4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze

Previous balance   $ 31,095.88
Income Conference Phone – Boone County $      239.00
Expense none $       
Ending balance   $ 31,334.88
     

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci

  • Working with Public Safety on nomination

 

4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter

  • No report

 

  1. Project Updates/Action Items
  • Legislative Flyer discussion – tabled to focus on Conference. Will discuss next month.
  • Discussed MGISAC flyer – desire to have flyers available at Conference. Melissa will work up a draft and send it out to everyone. Flyer will be available at the conference.

 

  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik

  • State of Missouri is available as a number of rest services.
  • NAIP 2016 imagery is on its way to MSDIS.
  • No activity on FirstNet
  • Buster will share N-G-9-1-1 updates
  • Clair county LiDAR is in QA/QC process
  • NRCS may have funds available for LiDAR acquisition; talking with SEMA on priorities.

 

6.2 Education — Shannon White

  • Still working on setting up The ESRI National K12 Mapping Contest
  • Planning a teacher workshop in March for teachers; focused on making maps.
  • Working on creating smaller maps; large ones are being used quite a bit.
  • Geography Bee in the spring. Will be looking for help.

6.3 Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell

  • No report

 

6.4 Local Government — Melissa Johnson

  • No report
  • 30 minute time slot at the conference to discuss the local government survey.

 

6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik

  • Minor updates to contacts on the website.

 

6.6 Missouri GIS Conference — Steve Marsh and Melissa Johnson

  • Currently have 120 registrations; 15 exhibit booths, 97 full conference, 4 student/military, 4 workshop only
  • Room block is covered
  • Conference agenda is full
  • Cancelled 4 workshops due to low registrations
  • Final meeting after regular MGISAC meeting

 

6.7 Outreach — Tim Haithcoat, Tim Donze

  • Mark met with the St. Louis GIS Users group, will be hosting a St. Louis Metro workshop on May 25. Will send out save the date soon.

 

6.8 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison

  • Discussion on 103 and H.R.482. Bills are not well-received within the geospatial community.  Tony provided an update on NSGIC’s perspective.

 

6.9 Service Recognition — Tim Donze

  • No report

 

6.10 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike

  • The Strategic Plan was already approved in February 2016
  • Matt presented a version that included the changes were requested along with the previous approval.
  • There will be a session at the Conference to discuss the Strategic Plan. Will consider the current landscape and discuss how we should move forward.

 

 

  1. Liaison Reports

7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh

  • First Symposium Planning Meeting in Omaha last month.
  • MAGIC 2018 will (hopefully) be held in Omaha in April 2018

 

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Update from Tony

 

  1. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock

  • Vacancy is held up by hiring freeze

 

8.2 USGS — David Nail

  • No report

 

8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True

  • No report

 

8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson

  • No report

 

8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole

  • No report

 

  1. Round table Discussion
  • Debbie – OGI is working on a governance document for ArcGIS
  • Matt Hesser (via Tony) The Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA) program is in the beginning stages. The Census Bureau has sent out contact-information-verification letters to mayors, presiding commissioners, and other highest elected officials.   Invitations to participate in the program will go out later this summer.  Hesser hopes MGISAC members and participants will help spread the word to local governments about the importance of their participation.  Even a small percentage of missing or incorrect address records in the Census Bureau’s database can have a significant impact on federal funds disbursed to Missouri, its local governments, and citizens.
  • Jennifer – Camden County has aerials in QA/QC, not available to the public yet
  • Shannon – GeoTech: Drone Camp – July 16-20, 2017. Open to 12-15 year olds (as of day 1 of camp).  This is part of the Summers@Mizzou camp program information found at: http://4h.missouri.edu/summersmizzou/main.  This year there will be 2 returning young persons of color from last year who will be junior counselors.  Hhoping to develop and an Advanced Drone camp next year if there are enough youth to meet the minimums.
  • Matt G. City of Columbia is implementing is software licensing application; working on parking; unified development ordnance going to city council.
  • Tom – MSDIS’s imagery and LiDAR collections has exploded in recent months. MSDIS thanks everyone willing to trust them with their data.
  • Steve – RPG can help local governments with LUCA; kudos to Jason and Melissa for their hard work on the conference.
  • Mark D – St. Charles County website successfully went public; set up open data portal. Awareness of portals has resulted in good publicity for the web/portal and the program.  Have leveraged the publicity to help secure additional funds.
  • Joe – upcoming conference GIS-T in April; Joe will report back. Working on state highway map production; RFP for 4 annual maps.
  • Melissa – has a niece looking for an internship in within the geospatial community. Looking for anywhere in US or Canada.  If you know of any opportunities please let Melissa know.
  • Christian Oros – MSHP has upgraded their GIS infrastructure

 

 

 

  1. Next meeting: Thursday, March 9, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium Jefferson City MO

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:43a.m.

Comments are closed.