Minutes for March 9, 2017

Date: March 9, 2017

Location: MDC Credit Union, Jefferson City, MO

Time: 9:30 a.m.

Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:35 a.m.

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Tom Vought- telephone – Tim Haithcoat – excused
USGS David Nail— absent
OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—  present
 
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell— absent
MoDOT Joe Carter—  excused
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—  telephone
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—  telephone
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell— excused
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Past-chair—  present
OA-ITSD Revenue Jason Hinson – present
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—  excused
 
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison— absent
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—  telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—  absent
Wilson & Co. Eric Cenovich—  excused
USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—  telephone
Surdex Tim Donze, Treasurer—  present, proxy for Warzinik
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski— telephone
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—  telephone, proxy for White
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—  telephone
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—  telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair—  present
City of Lee Summit Steve Marsh—  telephone
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—  telephone
City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—  present
MoRAP Diane True—  telephone
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—  absent
Boone County Jason Warzinik—  excused
MU Extension

St. Charles County

Shannon White—  excused

Mark Duewell – present

Other Attendees
Esri

Sanborn

Joe Eckmann

Brad Arshat

Fugro

St. Louis County

 

Les Bevin

Melisa McLean

  1. Approval of Minutes: February minutes available on the web site.

Approved

 

  1. MGISAC Administration

4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

  • Imagery RFP went out. Due next week.  No state imagery project planned, mainly for agencies and locals.  Short 2 people for reviewing the responses.  Looking for volunteers, contact Tracy or Arnold.
    • There is interest in collecting imagery in the future, but funding and partnerships have not yet been established. Past frequency has been ~10 years
    • Discussion of the data development committee should meet and make recommendation for frequency of state imagery
    • State structure initiative could be a driving cause
    • OGI can assist with the coordination
  • ESRI contract group is in the process of adding some new things to add things like health checks, jump starts and workshops included in MPA
    • Spicci added at there is a contract out there for GIS services that MDC has used in the past. Having flexibility to choose from a pool of contractors, like the imagery project, is desirable.  With the nature of funding in these times will often cause projects to be last minute and fast track
      • OGI needs specific examples
      • Gerike suggested summarizing past / current projects that have used the state contract. Also suggested asking potential users of contracts to write letters of support for the state contract.
      • Support from State agencies will be key
    • OGI working on governance documentation on using the cloud with strong support from DNR, as well as Briedwell / SEMA.

 

 

4.2 MSDIS report — Tom Vought

  • Deployed NAIP 2016 image service and available for download through ftp (county SIDs)
    • Several have asked for entire dataset loaded on drives
  • Have added last 4 LiDAR deliveries, naming structure re-work, Wash U has the data and it has gone live
  • Schloss asked about creating a service for the entire state leaf-off data
    • Vought will work on setting that up

 

 

4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze

DreamHost account #1254850 (“MGISAC Account”) was paid this week $119.40. Will be applied in next month’s balance update.

 

Previous balance   $31,334.88
Income None
Expense None  
Ending balance   $31,334.88

 

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci

  • One potential candidate for report next month, Public Safety

 

4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter

No report

 

  1. Project Updates/Action Items
  • During MoGIS conference, the idea of a historian for MGISAC was discussed
    • Haithcoat identified as the best walking historian
    • We have a recording of Tim’s session at MoGIS
    • Spicci has some historical documents provide
  • Keep in mind nominations for the board

 

  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik

  • Schrage: NG911: SEIC meeting yesterday for FirstNet’s roll out, ~March 15th announcement which will start opt in / opt out process.
  • Warzinik:
    • The NRCS QL2 LiDAR for Christian County and the missing pieces of Stone and Wright have been 100% collected.
    • The State Imagery RFP closes March 15th and the selection committee will be starting the selection process in late March.
    • Working on the 6-month MoNAD update now and just added Callaway County.
    • Based on the discussion at the last meeting, I have talked with Tom at MSDIS about setting up a quarterly MSDIS clearinghouse / MGISAC data development committee meetings as a way for them to show off and get feedback on the resources and website functionality.
    • MoGIS tech went well. Analytics: 77 people downloaded app, 211 app views

 

 

6.2 Education — Shannon White

  • Thanks to all of the interest at MoGIS Conference
  • We are in need of 3 timekeepers and 2 helpers with the Giant map for the State Geography Bee on Friday, March 31.  Please contact Tim Hill if interested (see email sent to listserv yesterday)
  • Statewide Esri K-12 GIS Mapping Competition for Missouri paperwork is signed and will have a deadline at the end of April/Beginning of May. Volunteers for judging will be contacted in the next month by Shannon.
  • GeoTech: Drone camp already has 11 youth signed up. Two are returning youth who will be junior counselors.  Max capacity of the camp is 20 youth. Registration information at: http://4h.missouri.edu/summersmizzou

 

6.3 Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell

            No report

 

6.4 Local Government — Melissa Johnson

  • Local Gov meeting in the next month

 

 

6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik

  • Conference tech went well; thanks everyone that helped with the prep, photos, and with the tech during the conference.
  • We had 77 Yapp installs (analytics and session rating info is attached).
  • Plan to post the award and posters info on MGISACon the champion’s page as well as change the conference site homepage over to a thank you for attending version/highlight slideshow with the full agenda/presenter list for GISP folks to use.
  • Working on a meeting with Tracy and OAIT to discuss options for allowing more access to admin the MGISAC website.

 

6.6 Missouri GIS Conference — Steve Marsh and Melissa Johnson

  • We had the following registrations:
    • Exhibits – 16
    • Full Conference – 105 people
    • Student – 4 people
    • Workshop Only – 6 people
  • We had 89 workshops taken on Monday.
  • Internet issues, especially with workshops day. Hotel throttled internet
  • ESRI learning lab was well received
  • Pending financial results

 

6.7 Outreach — Tim Haithcoat, Tim Donze

  • We will be supporting the St. Louis Regional Workshop on May 25th
    • Thanks to Mo Mappers for their support
    • Volunteers needed to help support the building of agenda
  • Metadata workshop will be next

 

6.8 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison

  • New resolution introduced in the House last week.
    • HR1305 American Community Survey, currently mandatory

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1305

 

6.9 Service Recognition — Tim Donze

            No report

 

6.10 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike

  • There were good discussions at MoGIS conference.
  • Will work with marketing to update the main web page to display vision and goals
  • Please review committee web pages to offer updates

 

  1. Liaison Reports

7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh

  • Working to approve agreement with the Double Tree in Omaha
    • April 22-26
    • Volunteers needed

           

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Mid-year meeting was last week, went well
    • 3DEP & addressing the big topics
    • NSGIC working with USGS to help support funding
    • Keith Masback was the keynote
    • Most presentations will be posted, minus a couple of Fed
    • COGO meeting held in conjunction. Moving forward with Geospatial Data Act.  Surveying community on the east coast is pushing again to have control over geospatial data.
  • Annual Conference in Rode Island in Sept

 

 

  1. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock

            No Report

 

8.2 USGS — David Nail

            No Report

 

8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True

            No report

 

8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson

            No report

 

8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole

            No report

 

  1. Round table Discussion
  • Schloss: New administration initiative is the IT should be looking at ROI and cost of operations. OGI GIS tech position closing today
  • Donze: Surdex hiring for several positions
  • Spicci: Two more CWD positives in St. Clair county
  • Eckmann: ARC GIS user seminars in KC and STL on March 21st, similar to a version 10.5 roll out

 

  1. Next meeting: Thursday, April 13, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Department Credit Union, Jefferson City, MO

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:16a.m.

Comments are closed.