Minutes for January 12, 2017
Date: January 9, 2017
Location: Conservation Central Office & Research Center, Columbia, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:32 a.m.
- Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Tom Vogt- telephone – Tim Haithcoat – present|
|USGS||David Nail— telephone|
|OA ITSD GIS||Tracy Schloss— excused|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell— excused|
|MoDOT||Joe Carter— present|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell— present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser— telephone|
|Missouri National Guard||Wiley Howell— Nick Young proxy – present|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci, Past-chair— present|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Jason Hinson – OGI Dept of Revenue – telephone|
|Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources||Michael Weller— telephone|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison— telephone|
|Sanborn Mapping||Brad Arshat— telephone|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman— absent|
|Wilson & Co.||Eric Cenovich— present|
|USDA-NRCS||Marty Comstock— excused|
|Surdex||Tim Donze, Treasurer— present|
|US ACE St. Louis||Michael Gawedzinski—excused|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike— telephone|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon— present|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung— telephone|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson, Chair— present|
|City of Lee Summit||Steve Marsh— present|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Kent Park— present|
|City of Jefferson||Buster Schrage— telephone|
|MoRAP||Diane True— telephone|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner— absent|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik— telephone proxy for Comstock|
St. Charles County
|Shannon White— telephone
Mark Duewell, Jacob Guthrie
|Custom Meeting Planners||Jamie Schieber|
St. Louis County
Loran Volker, Melissa McLean
- Approval of Minutes: December minutes available on the web site.
- MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss
4.2 MSDIS report — Tom Vogt / Tim H
- December added Eastern Mo Imagery
- Added MDC imagery also
- New LiDAR arrived recently, will go to Wash U
- Mo 2016 Schools Shapefile on portal
- Created image mosaic to navigate web/imagery/lidar services, labeled Mo LiDAR DEM. Please test it out.
- Two imagery service outages recently caused by efforts to move Mo West Imagery
- A few LiDAR counties held up due to naming
4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze
No Update this month due to new MSDIS finance training
|GIS Day Postage
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
- Jeff Herzer of Highway Patrol has been submitted for membership. No word yet.
4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter
- Project Updates/Action Items
- Draft Legislative Flier for Review
- Extensive discussion about purpose and message of our flier as well as the mission of our group.
- Gerike suggested revisiting the vision and goals of our strategic plan
- Cole suggested we continue the brainstorming through the listserve
- Warzinik suggested have current, past and future chairs meet with Tracy and the new CIO
- Haithcoat suggested a brainstorming / whiteboard session during the conference in a couple weeks.
- Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik
- Comstock: LIDAR: St. Clair county Lidar is now in QC from the FY15 contact. This is the only remaining county to be delivered of the 15 that were flown
- Schrage: FirstNet: They are down to one selection to provide the telecommunication network believed to be AT&T. There has been a legal challenge to this selection by Rivada Mercury. Motions are due by February 16th. The Missouri Department of Public Safety states that it is reasonable to anticipate that the state plans won’t be delivered until late 2017. Regardless of the contract award date FirstNet released the milestones and plans for the first 100 days after the contract has been awarded. The 90th day milestone is important because it includes the “State Plan Portal Delivery.” This portal initiates the Governor’s 90 day timeline to make a decision to either create its own state run plan or to opt-in the nationwide plan.
- Marsh: FirstNet meeting at MARC was not well received
- Nail: MSD 3DEP grant has been awarded
- Williams: State geospatial contract RFP still in hands of purchasing
6.2 Education — Shannon White
- Please promote to schools in your local area as the more geography we have the more GIS awareness we can promote! Deadline is soon for school level (or homeschool group) registration: Registration ($120) ends Monday, January 23, 2017. School must submit application but you could help them with registration fee.
|Gear Up for the 2017 National Geographic Bee|
|Register your school to compete in the 2017 National Geographic Bee! Help spread the word at events, on your website, social media, and newsletters. Find details, including eligibility, at NatGeoBee.org and promotional resources in the Nat Geo Bee toolkit.|
|· Missouri -Focus: ArcGIS Online U.S. School Competition 2017
· Missouri is hosting a statewide competition and more state-specific information will come soon! Paperwork was filled out last week with Esri (we needed a lead organization to deal with the award money for youth so Shannon submitted it with the Missouri Geographic Alliance as the lead organization) but Joe Carter is the co-lead on this and we are hoping many GIS professionals will want to be judges (online judging process with a possible follow up conference call – we think – more to come). See information below for overview and preliminary link Esri has provided for the national competition.
· Across the U.S., high school and middle school students are exploring their world and creating interesting map products with ArcGIS Online. Esri now challenges students to create and share maps about something in their home states, working to be among the best in the school, state, and nation. The ArcGIS Online US School Competition 2017 is open to high school (gr.9-12) and middle school (gr.4-8) students in the U.S who can analyze, interpret, and present data via an ArcGIS Online presentation, web app, or story map. Missouri is hosting a statewide competition and more state-specific information will come soon!
Read more preliminary information: https://geonet.esri.com/thread/186176-arcgis-online-us-school-competition-2017
- The Giant Floor Maps of Missouri: Trainings have been completed in all of the MU Extension Regions except Urban – West (we are trying to find a date that works for them). They started before Thanksgiving and wrapped up just before Christmas. A person in every county has now been trained on how to possibly use those maps.
- The maps are being checked out consistently. This week of the 3 maps we have – 1 MGISAC and 2 National Geographic based are all checked out and it’s like that for the next month or so.
- More information about use of the Floormaps can be found at: http://mga.missouri.edu > Giant Travelling Map drop down
6.3 Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell
6.4 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Gerike: Questions are being organized for next survey
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
- Website was having issues with https is now required
- Will need an SSL license
- Updated version of WordPress has broken a lot of things
- Please check committee webpages
- Busy supporting conference efforts
6.6 Missouri GIS Conference — Steve Marsh and Melissa Johnson
- Will be meeting when finished here
- Need more presentations and registrations
- 14 exhibitors
- 36 full conference registrations
- Workshops have room
- Spicci made a motion that we do a hotel search for the 2019 conference to the St. Louis region and KC, seconded by Colin Duewell – Motion carries
6.7 Outreach — Tim Haithcoat, Tim Donze
6.8 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison
- No sessions over the holidays.
- University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS) had a webinar yesterday with NGAC & FGDC. The webinar is available @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6rhlyuN1C8
- A few high points:
- Potential opportunities for our committee.
- FGDC is moving toward endorsing standards vs. writing them
- There is a new transition document of the Strategic Framework
- NSDI is being expand and is being rebranded to broaden awareness tied to policy and legislation
- Discussions of developing the expanded workforce for the new NGA facility in St. Louis
6.9 Service Recognition — Tim Donze
6.10 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
- Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
- 2018 conference will be in Omaha
- Hotel site visit and planning meeting in a week or so
- Working on conference format changes
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
- GDA will be re-introduced
- Mid-year meeting in late February
- New details coming out about 3DEP
- Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock
8.2 USGS — David Nail
Perry County data had been rejected and errors were never fixed
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole
- Round table Discussion
- Mark Duewell: Planning dates for St. Charles regional and confirmed funding support from Outreach. Support confirmed.
- Mark Duewell: Should we consider moving an occasional MGISAC meeting around the State with St. Louis being a possible first location.
- Carter: Possible location of 911 center in Columbia.
- McLean: Suggested STL County Health Center as a likely venue in STL.
- Spicci: CWD sample produced 5 positive cases.
- Spicci: GIS position(s) are open with Timmons Group to be placed at MDC.
- Johnson: Cole County ambulance dept is looking at a new CAD and AVL system that integrates with ARCGIS.
- Next meeting: Thursday, February 9, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Department Credit Union, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:45a.m.