Minutes for July 13, 2017

Date: July 13, 2017

Location: MDC Credit Union, Jefferson City, MO

Time: 9:30 a.m.

Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:31 a.m.

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Martin Wills – present
USGS David Nail— telephone
OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—  absent
 
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell— absent
MoDOT Joe Carter—  present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—  present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—  absent
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell— absent
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Andy Hunter – absent
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci – present
OA-ITSD Revenue Jason Hinson – telephone
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—  telephone
 
Cooperating
University of Missouri

Washington University in St. Louis

Mike Urban – present

Aaron Addison— absent

Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—  telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—  absent
Wilson & Co. Eric Cenovich—  present
USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—  absent
Surdex Tim Donze, Treasurer—  absent
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski— absent
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—  present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—  present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—  telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair—  present
City of Lee Summit Steve Marsh—  absent
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park— present
City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—  present
MoRAP Diane True— absent
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—  telephone
Boone County Jason Warzinik—  present
MU Extension

St. Charles County

MSPS

US ACE St. Louis

Shannon White—  telephone

Mark Duewell – present

Jon Cole – present

Michael Gawedzinski – telephone

 

 

Other Attendees

Esri Joe Eckmann – telephone
Fugro

St. Louis County

Census

 

Les Bevin – telephone

Melisa McLean – absent

Craig Best – absent

  1. Approval of Minutes: June minutes available on the web site.

Approved

 

  1. MGISAC Administration

4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

  • No Report

 

4.2 MSDIS report — Martin Wills

  • Lower Grand River Lidar data has been posted on the Washington University FTP Site
  • Received 3 new Datasets from the Office of Administration
  • Mike Urban with the University of Missouri Geography Department
    • Recently hired a Graduate Assistant to help Martin Wills starting the first week in August 2017

 

4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze

  • Encumbrances: $584.78 for St. Louis Regional Workshop Lunch and $1,500 for NSGIC membership

 

Previous balance   $35,855.55
Income $0
Expense $0  
Ending balance   $35,855.55

 

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci

  • No report

 

4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter

  • No Report

 

  1. Project Updates/Action Items

5.1 Voting for Council Positions

  • No Report

5.2 Budget and Vision for next two years

  • No Report

5.3 Timing of our meetings

  • No Report

5.3 MSDIS Workgroup

  • During the June MGIASC meeting it was discussed to create workgroup to help with securing MSDIS; 22 people attended that initial teleconference
    • Discussed MGISAC’s mission to guide MSDIS in the future
    • First step mentioned was to reach out to MU Extension and other entities within MU to create a partnership for MSDIS
    • Jason Warzinik met with Mark Stewart within MU Extension; they have a few initiatives of taking data information and getting it to their constituents;
    • Jason Warzinik met with Chris Fulcher of CARES to discuss a potential partnership for MSDIS; opportunities are there for a working partnership
    • The big thing for MSDIS will be who would have the budget to support its’ operation going forward
    • Mike Urban suggested to look for funding outside of the University of Missouri, this would suggest to the University the importance of MSDIS;
      • The State initially funded MSDIS to start it with $158,000 in 1998 to establish it but no future funding has been allocated from the State in support of MSDIS; Since the inception of MSDIS the School of Arts and Science has funded MSDIS
      • If another large financial cut occurs at the University next year, cutting MSDIS will be an option
    • Mike Urban mentioned he was open to meet with anyone at the State to look for future MSDIS funding and support
    • Mike Urban asked for the MGISAC group to offer leadership assistance to the incoming Graduate Assistant
    • Jason Warzinik asked for approval to attend the Data Clearing House workshop August 22-24 hosted by MAGIC in Oglesby, Illinois; It was approved for Jason and Martin Wills to attend the conference
  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik

  • NRCS working with USGS and FEMA to finish the QL2 state Lidar coverage
  • NG911 – FirstNET Status – in Mid-September a final state funded plan will be sent to the Governor for review, he will have until mid-December to make his decision whether Missouri Opt’s in to the FirstNet operated plan or to Opt out for the state operated plan; Many Governors are asking to by-pass the 45 day window and go ahead and opt-in to the FirstNet/AT&T operated plan.

6.2 Education — Shannon White

  • The large Missouri map is under high demand
  • The Geographic Alliance will not exist after next fall

 

  • Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell
  • No report

 

  • Local Government — Melissa Johnson
  • The GIS survey will need to be released in August
  • The Region F GIS Managers are looking at a grant for our local RPC to finish off addressing in the region for areas that do not have 911 data

 

6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik

  • No report

 

  • Missouri GIS Conference — Melissa Johnson and Jason Warzinik
  • List of potential 2019 conference locations have been reduced to 3 sites
    • Melissa Johnson requested and was approved for site visit expenditures
    • Tony Spicci volunteered to assist with the site visits

 

6.7 Outreach — Tim Donze

  • Are there any volunteers to help with outreach?

 

6.8 Policy and Legislation — Group

  • No report

 

6.9 Service Recognition — Tim Donze

  • No report

 

6.10 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike

  • No report

 

  1. Liaison Reports

7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh

  • There is a Clearing House Workshop in Illinois next month

 

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Tony Spicci gave an update on the Geospatial Data Act (GDA)
    • If passed the GDA will help and strengthen the FGDC and NSDI
  • Registration is open for the annual conference in September

 

  1. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock

  • No report

 

8.2 USGS — David Nail

  • Next USGS Lidar solicitation is coming up in mid-late August

 

8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True

  • No report

 

8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson

  • Registration open for conference in August

 

8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole

  • Board meeting is July 15th

 

  1. Round table Discussion

 

  • Joe Carter
    • Large amount of information is available for the Solar Eclipse in August
  • Tony Spicci
    • Missouri Department of Conservation will be shooting off fireworks during the Solar Eclipse
  • Jason Warzinik
    • Boone County recently purchased 2 Mavic UAS and are currently getting 8 pilots at the county getting certified and 22 others in the works

 

  1. Next meeting: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 9:30 a.m., Columbia, MO

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:45a.m.

Comments are closed.