Date: August 10, 2017
Location: MDC Central Region & Research Center, Columbia, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:33 a.m.
- Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Martin Wills – present|
|USGS||David Nail— telephone|
|OA ITSD GIS||Tracy Schloss— excused|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell— present|
|MoDOT||Joe Carter— telephone|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell— telephone|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser— absent|
|Missouri National Guard||Wiley Howell— excused, Nick Young – present|
|OA–ITSD Health and Senior Services||Andy Hunter – absent|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci — present, proxy for Park|
|OA–ITSD Revenue||Jason Hinson – absent|
|Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources||Michael Weller— telephone|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison— excused, Bill Winston telephone|
|Sanborn Mapping||Brad Arshat— telephone|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman— excused|
|Wilson & Co.||Eric Cenovich— present|
|USDA–NRCS||Marty Comstock— telephone|
|Surdex||Tim Donze, Treasurer— present|
|US ACE St. Louis||Michael Gawedzinski— absent|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike— present|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon— present|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming–Chih Hung— excused Warzinik proxy|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson, Past Chair— present|
|City of Lee Summit||Steve Marsh— present|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Kent Park— excused, Spicci proxy|
|City of Jefferson||Buster Schrage— excused|
|MoRAP||Diane True— absent|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner— telephone|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik— present, proxy for Balsman|
St. Charles County
|Shannon White— present
Mark Duewell – present
Jon Cole – present
|Esri||Joe Eckmann – telephone|
St. Louis County
|Les Bevin – telephone
Melisa McLean – absent
Craig Best – absent
Bill Walker – telephone
Stacey Priest – telephone
- Approval of Minutes: April minutes available on the web site.
- MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss
- ESRI contract wrapping up with no gap at Aug 31 deadline
- Contract amendment in place for professional services
- Imagery contract in final stages. Review committee just did final signatures
- State parcel acquisition presented at Mo Mappers last week. Jan Elliott of Tax Commission will be reaching out to the Assessors and will share results. MMA looking for clear vision from the State on parcel collection.
4.2 MSDIS report — Martin Wills
- Grad student started with Martin last week. Seems very capable technically. ARC GIS Server is the focus on publishing the new MoDOT data. Another new watershed dataset ready to publish too
- Mike Urban and Dean of Arts & Science met in Jeff City last week. Support was express for MSDIS, but the funding is still unknown. Mike is working on a broad MSDIS business plan. Martin will identify MSDIS traffic to find largest users. OA & outside funded agencies MDC, MoDOT, DNR attended the meeting also and will be working on funding for 2019 budget. Potential of collaborating with CARES.
- Martin and Jason will be at the Clearinghouse meeting Aug 22
4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze
- Encumbered: $1,500 for NSGIC Membership & $475 for Drone Camp
|Expense – STL Workshop Lunch||$ 584.78|
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
- Schneider Corp has indicated interest in joining MGISAC, successful motion and vote
- One current member, a State Agency, has not attended for a long while. Reach out to Tracy Schloss as there is a new person at Health and Senior Services
- City of Columbia representative will be in flux until Matt’s replacement is found.
4.5 By–laws — Joe Carter
- Supports the plan to work with Health and Senior Services
- Project Updates/Action Items
- Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik
- Mary: Working w/ USGS to finish State in QL2, Agreement between NRCS and USGS has been sent to Christian, Stone & Wright LiDAR
- Andy: St. Louis County and the regional consortium is planning another imagery project plus St. Charles County
- Jason: Presented at Mo Mappers on Address Database, will repeat at SEMO Workshop, Looking for grant opportunities w/ RPC to help the have nots on addressing. National: another aggregation of local data in process, exposure of that data is coming.
6.2 Education — Shannon White
- You can find 2017 GeoTech Drone Camp pictures at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143632991@N04/albums/72157684155889183
|Drone Camp 2017 | Flickr
Explore this photo album by Missouri Geographic Alliance on Flickr!
- Shannon was invited to present the giant maps August 9 for a professional development event for St. Louis Public Schools that was held at the Missouri History Museum (60+ educators on the maps learning about how to use them in teh classroom.
- There will Drone demonstrations for youth and family during the 4–H Robotics event at the State Fair this upcoming Sunday August 13 from 12–5pm in the Lowell Mohler Assembly room near the midway. Come visit –– there is air conditioning!
- National Geographic is no longer funding the state geographic alliances after this year. They are still supporting efforts in geography edcuation but will be focusing that effort in regional (multi–state) and national coordination. More details to come as the communications toolkit is available from National Geographic.
- Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell
- New management at SEMA, more response oriented
6.4 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
- Committee meeting in the next couple of weeks to set up the survey
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
- No report
6.6 Missouri GIS Conference — Melissa Johnson
- Location discussions: cheapest places were casinos pose an issue for some attendees. Doubletree in Chesterfield is looking like the best option. Need to decide if we proceed.
- Discussion of the viability of future conferences. Past conference in St. Louis was very successful and the GIS community in St. Louis is very active.
- With limited State Agency involvement at the last conference. Focus needs to be on local, Fed or whomever is attending.
- Point was made for more workshop quality content as part of the conference vs paying extra
- Suggested to push for NGA and other fed participation while in St. Louis
- Possibly reach out to URISA and ASPRS local chapters
- Reaching out to potential attendees not on our mailing list needs to be a member by member effort to reach out.
- Suggesting building / maintaining our own database of members like MAGIC is moving to
- CIO has commented that MGISAC’s strength has been data development / consortiums and our conference.
- Like in Springfield work with the local GIS user groups to guide the content for a conference
- Conference committee needs to assembled
- Doubletree needs to be booked soon to hold our dates
- Jason and Tim D will reach out to Lynn at Mizzou about Doubletree contract signing
- Suggestion of compensating keynote to increase quality
6.7 Outreach —Tim Donze
- No report
6.8 Policy and Legislation — Tony Spicci
- Geospatial Data Act: NSGIC and other COGO organizations have been working on legislative language. Language revision and suggestions are being worked on by some COGO organizations. Final language will be brought to the group.
- Discussion about who is allowed to produce legal descriptions of property. An RLS
6.9 Service Recognition — Tim Donze
- Discussion about Tim Haithcoat’s situation and proper recognition. Decision to make the decision as part of the conference awards process.
6.10 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
- Matt will transfer information to Jason
- Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
- Fall retreat is the 15th of Oct will be the 3rd conference planning meeting
- November will be call for papers and opening of vendor registration
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
- GDA is the big topic
- Annual conference in Providence is coming up
- Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock
- No report, beyond LiDAR
- Liz’s position is still being split between Marty and Tracy due to highiring
8.2 USGS — David Nail
- No Report
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
- No report
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
- Conference was last week. Attendance a bit low. Workshops were a success with thanks to Wash U for laptop support
- Conference might move locations next year
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole
- Taskforce of boards and commissions have been meeting and have acknowledged MGISAC and the mission
- Daryl Pratt, State Land Surveyor, has left. Position is open.
- Round table Discussion
- Debbie: Gave a presentation on the April flood as it relates to ArcGIS online
- Matt: Enjoyed working with the group
- Shannon: New home needed for the big maps and managing
- Mark: GIS Technician II position is still open
- Jason: Boone Co now operational as Part 107 drone pilots. Working with fire district and Taskforce 1 on a GIS mobile support van with drone capabilities
- Matt H: Local gov reminder about LUCA registration by Dec 15th. Review begins in February. Training starts in Sept/Oct. When address list cleaned up please share with MO NAD site.
- Dave N: Moving back to MO and hopes to be attend in person in the future
- Next meeting: Thursday, September 14th, 2017, 9:30 a.m., MDC Credit Union, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:20a.m.