Minutes for September 14, 2017

Date: September 14, 2017

Location: MDC Credit Union, Jefferson City, MO

Time: 9:30 a.m.

Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:31 a.m.

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Martin Wills – telephone
USGS David Nail— absent
OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—  absent
 
State
SEMA Alexis Gieseker present proxy for Debbie Briedwell
MoDOT Joe Carter—  present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—  present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—  absent
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell— absent
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Andy Hunter – absent
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci – present
OA-ITSD Revenue Jason Hinson – telephone
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—  telephone
 
Cooperating
University of Missouri

Washington University in St. Louis

Mike Urban – absent

Mollie Webb telephone proxy for Aaron Addison

Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—  excused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—  absent
Wilson & Co. Eric Cenovich—  present
USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—  telephone
Surdex Tim Donze, Treasurer—  present
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski— absent
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—  present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—  present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—  telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair—  present
City of Lee Summit Steve Marsh—  present
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park— absent
City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—  present
MoRAP Diane True— absent
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—  telephone
Boone County Jason Warzinik—  present
MU Extension

St. Charles County

MSPS

US ACE St. Louis

Moniteau County 911Addressing

Schneider Corporation

Shannon White—  telephone

Mark Duewell – present

Jon Cole – present

Michael Gawedzinski – telephone

Cory Sullivan – present

Stacey Priest – present

 

 

Other Attendees

Esri Joe Eckmann – telephone
Fugro

St. Louis County

Census

 

Les Bevin – telephone

Melisa McLean – telephone

Craig Best – telephone

  1. Approval of Minutes: June minutes available on the web site.

Approved

 

  1. MGISAC Administration

4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

  • No Report

 

4.2 MSDIS report — Martin Wills

  • MSDIS Server Traffic. The spreadsheet shows traffic to MSDIS ArcGIS Image services for June, July, August 2017. This is very similar to the reverse IP lookup that I did for imagery last fall. As you know I ran into a technical hitch when analyzing logs for MSDIS ArcGIS Web Map Services. I still need to go back and revisit that. This information is intended to support a “value proposition” for MSDIS to State of Missouri stakeholders.

 

  • New Data. Marty Comstcock delivered a drive with new LiDAR for Wright_South and for Christian_Stone counties. These are being zipped and transferred to MSDIS drive for delivery to Mollie at WashU. Unfortunately I was not able to get this done in time to deliver the drive to Jason to give to Tim Donze, data were still zipping when I left last night and transfer to portable drive is not quite complete this morning. Grad student Matt Moebes is primed and ready to update LiDAR and DEM download tools with these new data.

 

  • New composite image service. A request from Jason W (at behest of MGIASC?) was made to post a composite of high resolution imagery services on MSDIS. This was originally discussed earlier this year but was “lost” due to the staffing changes at MSDIS. Matt Moebes is going to work on this prior to the LiDAR work – LiDAR does have a bit a lag time due to delivery of data and posting to WashU FTP server so this will be a good task for Matt to get involved with. He is very pleased to be getting experience with ArcGIS server that is over and above academic experience (normal GIS MU classes).

 

  • No progress to report on plan to move MSDIS into Arts Sciences Computer Support domain.

 

  • Longer term – there has been an unsubstantiated rumor for months that University wants to get out of Mizzou North. This now has more traction. It has been reported to me by Mike Urban that University Facilities are evaluating the operation all of the built assets in particular from an energy management standpoint. Mizzou North is a large inefficient old building that is an energy sink and is on the radar with all options on the table including demolition. No decision has been made. I asked about space for me back at the newly renovated Stewart Hall knowing that is not in the original plan and there is still no room for me. There has been some very preliminary idea floated of moving MSDIS into Middlebush Hall – again very early, definitely not firm.

 

  • Archiving / old image and map services discussion. I want to get that on the agenda either for general discussion around the table or for a later special MSDIS meeting or even subcommittee. At the recent MAGIC meeting in Illinois this topic was discussed with some interesting points of view. Most (MAGIC) folk seemed to be not in favor of storing huge NAIP data for example as these are easily available from APFO. MSDIS has all those NAIP data stored but the older ones are not available for direct FTP download from MSDIS rather they are available by request. MSDIS also has imagery services for these older NAIP data. I have not evaluated how much traffic those get. MSDIS also have old imagery services for past emergency events such as Joplin tornado, Perry county tornado, a variety of flooding events. I’m not sure of the validity of keeping these things up for, in some cases, many years past the event. I’d like guidance from MGISAC on what to do with these.

 

  • Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze

Encumbered: $168.89 Drone Camp,  $498 MAGIC Clearinghouse Summit

 

Previous balance   $35,270.77
Income $     0
Expense – NSGIC Membership

Expense – Drone Camp

 

$1,500.00

$   306.11

 

 
Ending balance   $33,464.66

 

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci

  • Stacey Priest received her membership letter

 

4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter

  • No Report

 

  1. Project Updates/Action Items

5.1 Voting for Council Positions

  • No Report

5.2 Budget and Vision for next two years

  • No Report

5.3 Timing of our meetings

  • No Report

5.3 MSDIS Workgroup

  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik

  • Discussed the NRCS to provide funding to USGS to develop Lidar
  • Lidar – 3DEP program announcement is open
  • NG911 – FirstNET Status – Missouri have issued requests for proposals (RFPs) designed to solicit bids to build and maintain the public-safety LTE radio access networks (RAN) in the respective states, if their governors decide to pursue the “opt-out” alternative to the proposed FirstNet buildout later this year.
  • Orthophoto RFP posted to state purchasing website and has been awarded

6.2 Education — Shannon White

  • Discussed the Geography Bee and the need to find a venue in mid-Missouri

 

  • Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell
  • Debbie Briedwell is no longer with SEMA

 

  • Local Government — Melissa Johnson
  • Meeting held after this meeting to discuss the GIS survey to send out to entities
  • Discussed parcel standard resources
  • ESRI State Contract is now in place
  • Mark Duewell mentioned that Charles County GIS Manager’s Consortium has been developed. They will discuss imagery and other GIS related topics.

They will be meeting regularly at least twice a year. Mark will be the representative for the consortium at the MGISAC meetings and will bring information from the monthly MGISAC meetings back to the consortium.

 

6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik

  • No report

 

  • Missouri GIS Conference — Melissa Johnson and Jason Warzinik
  • Contract has been signed for the conference
  • A number of GIS Conference committees still in need of a chair

 

 

6.7 Outreach — Tim Donze

  • Number of registrants to SEMO GIS Symposium is at 36

 

6.8 Policy and Legislation — Group

  • Discussed GDA and the potential of cooperation with the COGO groups

 

6.9 Service Recognition — Tim Donze

  • No report

 

6.10 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike

  • Chaired by Matt and currently looking for a new committee chair

 

  1. Liaison Reports

7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh

  • Next planning retreat is October 13-15
  • Looking for presenters and sponsors for the next conference

 

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Discussed GDA and the potential of cooperation with the COGO groups
  • Heading to conference in Providence, RI in a couple weeks

 

  1. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock

  • No report

 

8.2 USGS — David Nail

  • No Report

 

8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True

  • No report

 

8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson

  • Looking for 2018 conference locations

 

8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole

  • Annual Conference in October
  • State Land Surveyor position has been filled internally

 

  1. Round table Discussion

 

  • Joe Carter
    • MODOT is looking for Addresses within the state
  • Tony Spicci
    • Missouri Department of Conservation will be shooting off fireworks during the Solar Eclipse
  • Jason Warzinik
    • Boone County recently purchased 2 Mavic UAS and are currently getting 8 pilots at the county getting certified and 22 others in the works
  • Matt Hesser
    • Craig Best gave a presentation to Missouri RPCs about the LUCA Program
  • Craig Best
    • For communities that would like more info about CENSUS LUCA Program email 2020.LUCA@census.gov
    • The Census Bureau recently posted an updated version of the LUCA Promotional Workshop presentation that we are now presenting to the public. This changes in this new version were appropriate now that we are shipping the invitation/registration materials and includes slides discussing the registration materials.
    • Thank you for your continued support!    Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.
    • LUCA_PromoPresentation
    • LUCA_PromoScript

 

 

  1. Next meeting: Thursday, October 12, 2017, 9:30 a.m., Jefferson City, MO

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:32a.m.

Comments are closed.