Minutes for June 8, 2017

Date: June 8, 2017

Location: Boone County Joint Communications, Columbia, MO

Time: 9:30 a.m.

Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:30 a.m.

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Tim Haithcoat & Martin Wills– present
USGS David Nail— absent
OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—  present
 
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell— absent
MoDOT Joe Carter—  present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—  absent
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—  telephone
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell— absent, Nick Young – present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Andy Hunter – absent
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci – present
OA-ITSD Revenue Jason Hinson – telephone
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—  telephone
 
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison— excused
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—  telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—  present
Wilson & Co. Eric Cenovich—  absent
USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—  absent
Surdex Tim Donze, Treasurer—  present
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski— absent
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—  present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—  present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—  telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair—  telephone
City of Lee Summit Steve Marsh—  telephone
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—  absent
City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—  present
MoRAP Diane True— absent
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—  telephone
Boone County Jason Warzinik—  Gerike
MU Extension

St. Charles County

MSPS

US ACE St. Louis

Shannon White—  present

Mark Duewell – absent

Jon Cole – absent

Michael Gawedzinski – telephone

 

 

Other Attendees

Esri Joe Eckmann – telephone
Fugro

St. Louis County

Census

 

Les Bevin – absent

Melisa McLean – present

Craig Best – absent

  1. Approval of Minutes: June minutes available on the web site.

Approved

 

  1. MGISAC Administration

4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

  • No Report

 

4.2 MSDIS report — Tim Haithcoat

  • MSDIS’s budget is set at only $122,000 for next year – absorbing another 12% cut. The MSDIS budget that was had a General Revenue allocation of $304,866 in FY16 year and in FY17 totaled $290,573 (split just this year into two parts – $168,010 (my salary and the fiscal person’s salary) went into the General Geography budget and the remaining $138,361.63 stayed as ‘MSDIS’).

 

  • MSDIS is down to just one staff person who is more familiar with the Hardware than the Geospatial data we serve.  We need him, but MSDIS needs more staff to actually function.

 

  • Regardless, I would like to be able to move MSDIS out of Arts & Science.  I would like to establish funding for MSDIS (either pull GR from A&S and move it) or cut and replace with new funding (GR or otherwise) within the MU Informatics Institute on campus.  MSDIS will not last under these circumstances.

 

  • Jason Warzinik suggested to create a MSDIS Workgroup to help work towards determining a more conducive environment for MSDIS’ to be housed

 

  • Discussed moving potential landing places for the funding of MSDIS. Suggested to table the discussion to the meeting in July 2017.

 

 

4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze

  • Encumbrances: $584.78 for St. Louis Regional Workshop Lunch.  MMA is paying for drinks.

 

Previous balance   $35,855.55
Income $0
Expense $0  
Ending balance   $35,855.55

 

 

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci

  • No report

 

4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter

  • Joe would have draft language for moving MSDIS

 

  1. Project Updates/Action Items

5.1 Voting for Council Positions

  • No Report

5.2 Budget and Vision for next two years

  • No Report

 5.3 Timing of our meetings

  • No Report

 

  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik

  • MoNAD – Working on getting the 911 zipped files sent to MSDIS for publishing Missouri’s 911 information
  • Presenting the Missouri Experience to FGDC Address Theme Subcommittee

6.2 Education — Shannon White

  • Missouri National Geographic Spelling Bee went to Washington D.C. May 17th
  • Map Contest wrapped up in May, looked to continue for the next 2 or 3 years
  • Drone camp in July more kids in attendance that past years
  • Lincoln University submitted to National Geographic on a grant to teach teachers how to teach GIS

 

  • Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell
  • No report

 

6.4 Local Government — Melissa Johnson

  • Melisa Mclean: Wanted to bring up the 2020 Census Support; ask Craig Best from Census to present to a MGISAC meeting;
  • Local Government Survey: Discussed best time to submit surveys and survey formats
  • Buster Schrage: Proposed to reach out other organizations

 

6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik

  • No report

 

6.6 Missouri GIS Conference — Melissa Johnson and Jason Warzinik

  • Jason Warzinik – Site selection RFP will be ready for review June 13th

 

6.7 Outreach — Tim Haithcoat, Tim Donze

  • Louis Regional Workshop was a big success

 

6.8 Policy and Legislation — Group

  • No report

 

6.9 Service Recognition — Tim Donze

  • No report

 

6.10 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike

  • No report

 

  1. Liaison Reports

7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh

  • No Report

 

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Tony Spicci – NGISC posted job for membership coordinator and maybe 1 or 2 other people in the future
  • Geospatial Data Act dropped a few weeks ago
  • Digital Coast Act passed Senate unanimously

 

  1. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock

  • No report

 

8.2 USGS — David Nail

  • No Report

 

8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True

  • No report

 

8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson

  • Meet on June 22nd
  • Registration open for conference in August and closes in June 30

 

8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole

  • No report

 

  1. Round table Discussion
  • Matt Gerike: City of Columbia continuing to QA/QC Surdex collected Aerial Photography
  • MSDIS: Lower Grand River LiDAR has been received Martin Wells;
  • Tracy Schloss: Joe Eckman from ESRI gave a presentation about ESRI Insights; Looking to schedule a meeting in July to discuss the State purchasing Missouri County parcel data
  • Joe Carter: MODOT moving to Windows 10 operating system

 

  1. Next meeting: Thursday, July 13, 2017, 9:30 a.m., MDC Credit Union Jefferson City, MO

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:25a.m.

Comments are closed.