Call to Order – 10:00am
MSDIS – Thomas Vought – p
NSGIS/OA-ITSD OGI – Tracy Schloss – p
USGS – David Nail – p
MDA – Jacque Walters – p
Economic Development – Amelia AuBuchon – p
MDC – Tim Bixler – p
MOARNG – Wiley Howell – pp
MoDOT – Colin Duewell – p
City of Jefferson – Buster Schrage – p
Cole County – Melissa Johnson – p
Mid-MO RPC – Jennifer Bowden – p
MO 911 Board – Brian Maydwell – p
MU Extension/CARES – Chris Barnett – p
Northwest Missouri University – Ming-Chih Hung – p
Sanborn – Brad Arshat – p
Surdex – Steve Kasten – p
GISCI – Tony Spicci – p
US ACE St. Louis – Jenn Backer – p
USDA-NRCS – Katie Philbrick – p
Washington University – Mollie Webb – p
City of Springfield – Nathan Huggins – pp
Amanda Bybee – City of Springfield
Don Murray – US Army
Elizabeth McCartney – USGS
Gary Gates – MPRA
Jack King – Surdex
Joe Eckman – ESRI
Kayla Flamm – MO Botanical
Shawn Penman – 911 Board
Dustin Goodwin – City of Columbia
Approval of Meeting Minutes – Motion made and seconded to approve meeting minutes from November. Motion passes unanimously.
OGI Report – Working on flows in Basecamp and the qualified vendor list. IT has a list with supposed GIS people on it but most weren’t GIS specialists. New list would renew every 6 months and be a cooperative agreement. When list is finalized, it will be posted. Photogrammetric contract expires in February so that contract will be updated soon.
MSDIS Report – November report. Updated Data
– MO MoDOT Districts
– MO Missouri Department of Conservation Trails
– MO Missouri Department of Conservation Boat Ramps
New SEMO Imagery
– St Francois 3 inch/6 inch 2023 composite – Our friends from SEMO have provided us with another new imagery collection. Our last update to St Francois was in 2019, so this a welcome update: https://moimagery.missouri.edu/arcgis/rest/services/LGov/StFrancois_3inch_6inch_composite_2023/ImageServer
New 2023/2024 Missouri County Imagery
– The 2023/2024 6-inch resolution county aerial imagery mosaics have been added to The Missouri Map for download. More on that below.
MSDIS General News
As the Fall 2023 semester winds down, MSDIS must say goodbye to not one, but two, undergrad interns. Morgan Hurt has worked with MSDIS for three semesters and has been a tremendous help with both aerial imagery QC and several external projects. Joshua Stender decided to use all three credit hours in one semester before starting a study abroad semester and assisted with the second round of imagery QC as well as a pair of story map projects. We will miss their contributions to the clearinghouse very much and wish them both the very best.
No downtime was reported during November 2023.
HOWEVER… we have been made aware of an interesting problem with two Department of Natural Resources layers. Sometime on, or about 07 December 2023 we were informed that the DNR Lands and the DNR Wild Areas layers were no longer displaying in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer. The data are still there, the attribute tables can be opened and viewed, both layers display exactly as intended in Map Viewer Classic, and both layers are still available for download from the MSDIS Archive. The one and only problem that we can currently identify is that they simply do not display in the new Map Viewer. We have pulled both datasets from the Hub site as a precaution. While we do not have a solution to this issue, it is worth pointing out that earlier versions of both layers display just fine in map viewer.
We continue to investigate as time allows.
2023/2024 Missouri County Imagery
MSDIS received the two hard drives containing the 2023/2024 imagery collection tiles on 20 November 2023 and the single hard drive containing the mosaics on 30 November 2023.
Deployment status is as follows:
– All tiles have been copied to MSDIS virtual storage and are currently awaiting processing for the creation of a project mosaic. No estimate for completion is available at this time nor will one be provided as we proceed.
– All county mosaics have been stored as Zip files and copied to MSDIS virtual storage. These files are currently available for download from either the MSDIS Data Archive or The Missouri Map.
– Because the mosaics from the new project were delivered in both UTM and State Plane coordinates, a brand new shapefile was developed for their inclusion in The Missouri Map. As such, there is now one layer in The Missouri Map to download the mosaics from the southern half of the state and a second layer to download the mosaics from the northern half of the state.
– Since these two projects are of such importance, we have rearranged to layer order of The Missouri Map table of contents. Where the Missouri County Imagery Index was previously the first and default layer when the application loaded, the two mosaic layers are now the default layers.
– Owing to the resolution of the new imagery, some of these mosaics are VERY LARGE. Either version of the St Charles county mosaic, for example, weighs in at 35 GB. While most of the mosaics are roughly half that size, we cannot stress enough that downloading these files is going to take you some time.
Treasurer’s Report – No Changes. $38,854.26
Membership Report – No Changes. 35 members. 4 vacancies. 18 quorum.
By-Laws Report – No Changes.
National Trails Program has web applications to help with trail planning and management. Have added 120,000 miles of trails to their database. Missouri Parks and Recreation Association (MPRA). USGS Topo Builder now lets you build a map instead of needing 4 different quadrangles for an area of interest that falls in the middle. Next trail planning workshop is January 10th. Can set up custom workshops though. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for training requests or sign up for their newsletter. Looking to get Missouri nominated as the trail state again. We were last awarded in 2013-2014.
Data Development – Working on SE Lidar. Submitted collaboration with USGS and Department of Conservation. Meeting coming up about funding agreement. Webinar planned for when the imagery service goes live to go over how it came together and how to access it. 3DHP and 3DEP contract requests in.
NG911 – GIS grant period is open Already have an application that came in the afternoon after the webinar. Data Mark got the data remediation award. All county MOSAICs are available on MSDIS now.
Legislative – Nationally it’s slow. State level HB1540 was pre-filed by Rep. Coleman. GIS products is its focus. We need to look at it closer at the next legislative committee meeting. Tony, Rep. Tim Taylor, and the CIO met recently about the MGISAC bill. Not yet pre-filed. CIO supports it but wants more time to look it over. Should be pre-filed shortly after he looks at it. SB1039 is the companion bill that has already been pre-filed. Language will need to be reconciled. Filed by Rep. Roberts. We’ve not had any contact with him. The current Senate language will have a fiscal note. Our new language lessens that. Legislative committee plan to meet early January.
Marketing, Communication, and Outreach – Website has a lot of changes and updates. Still need some committee pages to be reviewed. Need to look at the analytics.
Education – Ethics with GIS presentation b ESRI was November 7th. Next Education committee meeting is January 9th. Story Map competition kickoff with Bob Colter. Lindenwood GIS day was November 14th. They had over 200 people attend. 70+ high school students, 100+ Lindenwood students, 15 exhibitors, and 4 alumni.
MAGIC – Registration for everything is open. Seeking abstract currently. April 15-18th, 2024 in Omaha.
NSGIC – Various webinars available. Some pertain to us and some don’t. Mid-year meeting in Washington D.C. Fairly quiet otherwise.
Cooperating Agency Reports
USGS – 3 Lidar projects in the works. 2021 project still not out yet. Hopeful to hear back about elevation proposals by end of the month.
NRCS – Call last week that suggests there should be some federal matching funds for the elevation project. Won’t be any extra areas covered. Question about deciding factor on the current areas of interest. They will only cover the federal matching areas. Supporting 3DHP areas.
Open Discussion – Council presented Nathan Mattox with a recognition award. Been helping the GIS community for 20+ years. Boone electric has a GIS programmer analyst position open. State is starting to thing about summer interns. Office of Broadband will have jobs soon. City of Columbia will be hiring for a GIS manager soon. Listed as IT Manager.
Adjourned – 11:59am
Next Meeting – January 11, 2023 at 10am in Columbia