Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – June 12, 2003

Attendance

Members Present

Jeff Schloss, Department of Natural Resources
Tony Spicci, Department of Conservation
Mark Duewell, Department of Health and Senior Services
Jeff Haney, Department of Revenue
Greg Dorge, City of Jefferson
Kevin Kulhmann, Village of Innsbrook
Bobbie Sue Koelling, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Jim Davis, Department of Mental Health
Gary Mook, East/West Gateway Coordinating Council
Arnold Williams, Department of Transportation
Gerry Wethington, Office of Information Technology
Ryan Lanclos, Department of Agriculture
JimLaScala, City of Liberty
Jeff Falter, State Emergency Management Agency
Jennifer Peterson, City Utilities of Springfield (via teleconference)

Members Excused

Steve Daw, Shafer, Kline and Warren sent proxy Dan Koch
Ray Fox, US Geological Survey gave proxy to Liz Cook
Michelle Carey, City of Kansas City
Elizabeth Cook, USDA-NRCS sent proxy Terry Barney
Tim Haithcoat, Missouri Spatial Data Information Service gave proxy to Arnold Williams
Gary Beahan, Department of Economic Development
Ryan Burson, Office of Administration gave proxy to Liz Cook

Members Absent

Janet Duncan, Department of Insurance
David Drum,MOREnet

Other Attendees

Renee Holder, Department of Natural Resources
Dan Koch, Shafer, Kline and Warren
Diane True,MoRAP
Don Martin, Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors

Call to Order

Chair Tony Spicci called the meeting to order at 9:05 am. The meeting was held at the Credit Union, Missouri Department of Conservation, Jefferson City, Missouri.

Approval of Minutes

TheMay minutes were approved.

Presentation by State CIO Gerry Wethington

The meeting began with a presentation from State Chief Information Office Gerry Wethington. Gerry acknowledged the importance of GIS to the state. He has reviewed the MGISAC Strategic Plan and was pleased. He offered three recommendations:

1. The Plan is too internally oriented. We need to develop an external face showing value to the public, not just to the internal workings of state government. GIS value to external customers must be showcased at every opportunity. MGISAC must address the So what? question with every GIS project and task. In terms of government architecture, GIS is a discipline and not a domain, making the above a more challenging task;

2. The Plan treats architecture and standards as two stand alone subjects consider merging the two; and

3. Consider implementing a Certified Project Manager (CPM) scheme. This strategy has worked well for the state in other areas to lower contract costs. Contractors have more confidence in management of contracts and it lowers their risk factors when working withCPMs. Gerry believes the CPM route will raise the visibility of GIS and create more demand for GIS services.

Jeff Schloss asked about availability of CPM courses. Gerry recommended the state curriculum through MOTEC as more cost effective than through private vendors. Tom Stokes has been invited to speak about CPM at the July meeting.

Jennifer Peterson asked about access to the course by non-state employees. Gerry said it was possible but might require state agency sponsorship and the ability to pay the tuition.

Mark Duewell asked how MGISAC can increase visibility within ITAB. Gerry responded:

1. See yourselves as early adopters of government enterprise architecture and maintain this posture;

2. Formalize your place in ITAB have your liaison give formal quarterly reports and bring each new project to ITAB as a formal presentation;

3. develop a communication plan; and

4. engage in national programs and initiatives.

Gerry discussed the State GIS Coordinator Position which has both legislative FTE and funding authorization. The funding authority is based on federal money and where the position will be located has not been determined

Subcommittee Reports

By-Laws Jim Davis

No report

Communications – Liz

No report

Education and Outreach – Jim

No report.

Federal Initiatives – Ray

No report

GIS Merit System Positions – Jeff S.

The system is working well and producing good candidates.

GIS Standards – Renee

We received one response on the draft DOQ standard. A motion was made and seconded to put the standard out for public comment and review. It passed unanimously. The standards page on the Web site needs a final edit.

GIS Architecture Tim Haithcoat

Tony reported that they meet weekly. He will make minutes of all meetings and draft materials available to the members. All documents must go through review by the Architecture Review Committee before distribution.

Homeland Security Mark Duewell

The Homeland Security Subcommittee will meet June 20th with Gerry Wethington to discuss homeland security aspects of the Strategic Plan The Southeast Earthquake Exercise of MERGIS is planned to test how well it handles this type of local emergency. There is interest in non-health applications of MERGIS growing. Long-term maintenance of MERGIS may be contingent on approval of HS funding. Those wanting access to full MERGIS are screened through a more involved interview.

I-team Jo Ann

Tony reported that soils are being worked on by NRCS andMoRAPis doing land cover and public lands (part of administrative boundaries).

Nominations – Tim

Tim Haithcoat reported that Debbie Pitts with the Missouri State Census Data Center will be rejoining the group. Since this will allow for the addition of another non-state member, Steve Marsh with Jackson County will be added as a member since he was nominated by Greg Dorge at the May MGISAC meeting.

SMAC

No report

Strategic Planning – Mark Duewell

Mark presented the plan to Gerry Wethington (see references to plan in Gerrys report above). Jeff Schloss asked what the next step for was implementation, given Gerrys reaction. All agreed that the subcommittee should reconvene, revamp and resubmit to Gerry for a second review prior to release.

Liaison Reports

MAGIC

No report

MACOG

No report

ITAB

No report

MMA

Annual meeting is July 30-Aug.1, 2003 at Lake Ozark, Missouri.

NSGIC

No report

MML

No report

OIT

No report

Message from the Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors

Don Martin, Survey Superintendent at MDC, gave an overview of their organization and wants to establish open channels of communication with MGISAC. Their 03 annual meeting will feature GIS in surveying.

Round Table Discussion

MODOT has updated a traffic count map coming. Tony reported that the NAIP contract went to SURDEX (Missouri is one of three states they are doing). They will start flying June 15, 2003. They will deliver 2-meterDOQsto APFO-Salt Lake City by mid-October and 1-meterDOQsin late December. Discussions are ongoing with APFO and SURDEX on possible ways to speed up delivery to users

Election Results

Tony Spicci and Mark Duewell were retained in their roles as chair and vice-chair of the committee.

The meeting was adjourned.

The next meeting will beJuly 10, 2003, starting at 9am at the Conservation Employees Credit Union in Jefferson City, Missouri.

 

 

Comments are closed.