Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – May 7, 2008

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:09 am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatlate and/or excused

State Members

Colin Duewellpresent
David Finchabsent
Matt Hesserpresent
Donna Rehagenpresent
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandexcused
Arnold Williamsabsent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth CookTreasurerpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam KelrickVice-chairpresent
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Gary Mookpresent
Greg Reszabsent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Mark Allen, Lafayette Co 911/GIS
Stan Balsman
Debbie Briedwell, ITSD/SEMA
Tim Donze, Surdex
Eric Foster,MoDOT
Jeff Patridge, DHSS

Approval of the Minutes

April minutes are on the web site. Printed copy passed around for review. Motion to approve minutes from Tony S, seconded by Gary M, approved by vote.

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

No Report

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

No Report

By-laws

No Amendments

Nominations

Pending nomination of Debbie Briedwell from ITSD/SEMA

Treasurer’s Report

No expenditures, balance remains at $13,057.29. Coca-Cola will need to be paid for GIS Day at the Capitol. $1000 will go to the Rural GIS Summit (see below).

Phone Bridge Invoices

Tony S: CIO’s office agreed to pay for the phone bridge, but has not; several outstanding invoices. Discussion. Steve M will follow up with Tim H.

Project Update

Update on Data Sharing agreements

No Report

Upcoming LiDAR workshopEric Foster

Opportunity to have a one-dayLiDARworkshop presented by Kenny Leglieter of Merrick in Kansas City/St. Louis. MARC will host the meeting in Kansas City. Request to MGISAC to fund lunch(es). Discussion. Proposal from Steve M to make part of February MOGIS conference. Discussion. Mark D. noted that numbers ofLGovshave expressed interest in LIDAR – and particularly in finding out more about it. This should be addressed before the MO Conference. Proposal to put information on the web site. Discussion. Mark D – agreed more information needed for the web site but also pointed out that our feedback from Strategic Planning meetings and regional workshops is that passive information dissemination (ie…web) has not proven to provide effective communication. Tony S observes need for technical information and coordination information. O&E will collect more information for June meeting.

Rural GIS SummitPam Kelrick

Discussion of funding proposal previously submitted by Pam. Motion from Ray F to support the Rural GIS Summit at $1000, seconded by Tony S and Gary M. Approved by vote.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Jeff S: what is the status of the Data Sharing agreements? It’s been on the agenda for months without action. Steve M: hoping to hit that next month. Jeff S: Surdex attended last meeting, discussed status, buy-ups, etc. Tim H suspended flights due to leafing. Tim Donze: flew 75/76% of imagery, had to stop due to leaf-out. Rejected some internally due to leaf-out, have about 68%. May let some of the rejected imagery through. Buy-ups in Nodaway Co went ahead. Will have paperwork in place next year. Ray F: was a learning process. Really need a dedicated project manager. Met on the 18th for a tour of Surdex facilities. Need to start looking atLiDAR; postponing normal meeting time, will try to meet on the 20th, possibly in Columbia. Will discuss whatLiDARproduct to pursue. Eric F: what is the status of the MARC flight? Steve M: flight has been complete for two months. Renee R: what about the East side of the state? Mark D: software and bandwidth are the issues. Discussion. Steve M: have buy-up organizations been contacted? Tim D: yes, everyone was individually contacted. Discussion about general notice that flights were stopped and status of project. Discussion.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell

Mark D: if you hear of a grant that MGISAC might benefit from, please let us know. Ray F: I get partnership funding, but this year’s money is used up. Still, let me know; anything under $50,000 is pretty easy to justify.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

No Report

Local Government GroupMark Allen

Have not received any offers of assistance on the subcommittee.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum

Surdex tour has already been discussed, feel it was informative and successful. Thanks to Tim D and Surdex. Would like to have yourLiDARpresentation. Was in Oklahoma yesterday for a metadata workshop. Working on the Northeast Regional workshop with Pam K.

Strategic PlanningEric Foster

Had been waiting on results from meetings before doing much work. Am working on a flowchart detailing reports and schedules. Original Strategic Plan came in December 2003, updated in 2006 and 2007. Anticipate another Plan in December. Jeff S: has there been any work on the Business Plan?

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No Report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Not aware of any GIS-specific legislation in the State. Did find 13 references to “Geographic” and 5 references to “Geographic Information Systems”. HB 2392 is one to watch as it names the GRC. FLAIR Act has 13 co-sponsors in the House and 1 sponsor (ClaireMcCaskill) in the Senate.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Trying to improve services and update times. Want to review brainstorming ideas to realize achievable ideas.

Missouri GIS Conference

Conference ChairsTony Spicci, Mark Allen

Symposium is over so it is time to focus on MOGIS. Will begin meeting after this meeting.

MAGIC Symposium CommitteeTony Spicci

We think we had record attendance; previous records are sketchy but final attendance was above 650. Exhibitor hall was sold out, workshops were full. Pre-registration went extremely well. Hope this success will transfer toMOGIS09. Nominations for MAGIC Officers will open in May. Please fill out the conference attendance survey.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Thanks for the conference attendance waiver. HaveLiDARdata collected for Sullivan, Linn, and Warren Counties. Looking at collectingLiDARin the Bootheel. Media LLC vs USDA puts CLU fully into the public domain. May be appealed but expect the CLU will soon be distributed fully attributed. Wetland project. Plenary speaker at MAGIC was hard on the Feds; feel that data such as NAIP is being taken for granted. Question about wetlands project.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

USGS talking to key customers about what the National Map should look like. What should version 3.0 look like? Tim H has been accepted nationally to provide input to survey.

MACOG

No Report

MORAPDiane True

If anyone is interested in a statewide landcover, Clayton can do it in 12 months for $60,000.

MMAJim LaScala

MMA conference is August 7-8 at Port Arrowhead, Lake of the Ozarks. Tim H will be the keynote. Mark A: MMA could use our support and help. Steve M: perhaps we could buy an ad in their quarterly newsletter promotingMOGIS09.

MSPSJohn Teale

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Imagery for the Nation continues to be the primary focus. The NGAC is up and running. NSDI is their primary focus. NSGIC will put together a coordination document. FGDC needs to be successful. Council of Geospatial Organizations is to bring various national geospatial organizations together on a regular basis (MAPPS, NSGIC, etc.). The idea is to have a unified voice when it is called for.

Round Table Discussionall

Renee R: Nat’l Guard has been working with SEMA on network/server issues.
Liz C: Just got back from Honduras.
Mark A: GIS project is about 8 months ahead of schedule.
Jeff S: two datasets going up soon, invertebrate monitoring sites. One month into web-based editing project; going well. To Liz: we use a lot of Federal data and appreciate it.
Jeff Patridge: trying to refill Debbie’s position.
Matt Hesser: the long form survey is gone. The American Community Survey, a rolling survey, is a year or two into use. Three-year data will be available in December; five-year data is planned, which will have data similar to the long form survey. ESRI has a chief demographer who has done two really good articles on the subject. News->Arc User->April 2008->Sample Size Matters andChanges and Challenges: Understanding the American Community Survey Data.
Tony S: Did anyone know there is a Municipal GIS conference next week at the Lake? Conference brochure is on Midlands GIS web site. Discussion.
David D: if anyone has used ESRI’s Network Analyst OD Cost Matrix tool, I’d like to talk to you.
Steve M: MARC photography sample set bound for USGS will also go to the State and become part of the western state imagery.
Matt Hesser: new population estimates are available on our web site.

Announcement of next meeting

June 12, 2008 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 11:39am

 

 

Comments are closed.