Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – June 12, 2008

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:09

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent (proxy for Renee R)
Colin Duewellpresent
David Finchabsent
Matt Hesserabsent
Donna Rehagenpresent
Renee Robinsonexcused
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth CookTreasurerpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam KelrickVice-chairpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Gary Mookabsent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Aaron Addison, Washington University in St. Louis
Mark Allen, Lafayette Co
Stan Balzman, Regional Planning
Debbie Briedwell, SEMA
Kim Burns, ESRI
Joe Clayton, MSPS
Tim Donze, Surdex
Eric Foster,MoDOT
Justin Fristoe, Pioneer Trails RPC
Matt Kohler,MOREnet
JimLaScala, MMA
Christian Oros, MSHP
Jamie Schieber, CMP
Tracy Schloss, DHSS

Approval of the Minutes

May minutesavailable on the web site. Motion to approve from Diane T, seconded Jim L, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

Meetings

May 9, 2008 Attended MO Society of Professional Surveyors meeting to sit in on presentation concerning digital representation of cadastral mapping issues and opportunities.
May 13, 2008 Homeland Security Subcommittee meeting
May 13, 2008 Data Development Subcommittee meeting
May 21, 2008 Meeting with Terrago makers ofGeoPDFproduct. Working towards a state master purchase agreement for their software. First draft of this agreement should be provided to the state this Friday June 13, 2008.
May 22, 2008 State Agency GIS meeting. Hosted at Dept. of Economic Development. Well attended. Minutes are provided.
May 29-30, 2008 ESRI on site to load data andMXDsfor the Project Homeland Pilot project at the CGI.
June 9-13, 2008 ESRI remote installation of the MVS system the primary component of the Project Homeland Pilot.
June 10, 2008 Homeland Security Subcommittee meeting Structures & CI/KR
June 10, 2008 Google Earth meeting at ITSD. Dan Ross, Bill Bott, Tony Spicci, Debbie Briedwell, and 5 people fromMoDOTwere in attendance. The State will pursue the development of a Google Missouri website.
June 10, 2008 Data Development Subcommittee meeting LIDAR & Imagery Review

Upcoming events

June 19, 2008 Missouri Digital Government Summit
July 2, 2008 Homeland Security Advisory Council & Missouri P3 meetings
July 15-16, 2008 Central U.S. Earthquake Consortium meeting Memphis, TN
July 22-24, 2008 International Charter meeting Kansas City, KS
August 7, 2008 Missouri Mappers Conference Osage Beach, MO
August 13-14, 2008 USGS Earthquake Workshop Rolla, MO

Status:

50 States Initiative

Strategic Plan Update

Hoping to have Strategic Plan out last week. Will have out next week by Tuesday. Would like to have a 2-3 week comment period and wrap up at July meeting.

Business Plan development

Will have 3-4 items.

Cookbook development

National Hydrography Database (NHD)

Expecting project to be completed by the end of the month. Report available in July.

Trimble GPS purchasing

Used to buy off of New York’s contract. Without contract. DNR told to get waivers from WWT; MDC has bought from Seiler through WWT. GIO planning to set up competitive bid process for a state contract.

Digital Orthoimagery acquisition

Still have local government interest. Franklin county interested inLiDAR. Neosho, Callaway interested in buy-up. Keeping Data Dev subcommittee, Surdex informed.

Cadastral Mapping Standard development

Panel discussion at Missouri Mappers conference. Looking at State Tax mapping standards. Would like to bring into digital age. MSPS, MGISAC, MMA, STC, Assessors all need to be involved.

Block Boundary Suggestion Project & Voting Precincts

Project with Matt Hesser.

Internships

Have OK from ITSD. Three positions in JC, two in Rolla with DNR. Other agencies also have positions. Talk to Tim H.

Community of Interest Meeting (COIN) on Emergency management & Homeland Security in Missouri

No date available.

NAIP 2010 imagery acquisition partnerships

Will be covered by Data Development

EPA National Dialog on Access to Environmental Information

Blog comments will go directly to EPA CIO. Comment period ends tomorrow!

Policy & letters of supportTony Spicci

By-laws

No changes submitted

Nominations

Lance Huntley from EWGW to replace Gary Mook who is retiring. Tracy Schloss from DHSS to replace Debbie Briedwell who moved to SEMA.

Treasurer’s Report

No expenditures this month. Balance stands at $13,058.52. Steve M: suggestion to have Finance subcommittee to prepare a budget.

NSGIC Membership Dues

Tony S: State Council NSGIC membership up for renewal ($3000). CIO has paid previously. Motion from Diane T to renew membership and seek fee from CIO. Seconded by Liz C. Tim H: will need bill to take to Dan Ross. Tony S: have already updated membership list. Liz C: having a budget would help distinguish expenses we pay and expenses GIO/CIO pay. Tim H: have seen other organizations, when they get funds, devolve into debating money. Need this group to focus on geospatial matters. Motion passes by vote.

Outstanding Teleconferencing Bills

Steve M: outstanding bills have been paid. Other teleconferencing options exist. Tim H read memo about using State Operator for arranging teleconferences. Discussion. Tim H will check if State Operator pays for calls in and how far in advance phone bridge can be reserved.

Project Update

Results from LiDAR Discussions

Workshop outline distributed; July 22, 2008 at MARC offices. Discussion. Motion from Liz C to support theLiDARworkshop with name and $100. Seconded by Tony S. Approved by vote.

Data Sharing Agreement

Draft mission document sent out. Please send comments and feedback to Steve before July. Discussion at July meeting to complete. Pam K: would be helpful to have this in time for the How-To document. Mark D: perhaps a group of interested individuals should meet to work up final draft. Steve M: call for volunteers. Discussion. Mark D, Diane T, Tony S, Tim H, Eric F, Liz C volunteered. Discussion.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Ray F: Met Tuesday, reviewedLiDARpaper. Inspected 2008 state imagery; six examples Surdex asked for input, two accepted. Mike S from USFS about NAIP 2010. State, USFS could kick in money; USFS also wants IR band. Looking for other partners. Jeff S: what might the outlook be in the future for leaf-off? Tim H: asking for feedback from groups about three-year leaf-off cycle; north, southeast, southwest. Would like to have same cost to state year-to-year in GIO budget. Ray F: so, 2009 or 2010? Tim H: need to finish up western side, want to fly in 2009. Liz C: would be nice if NAIP contribution could also be worked into budget cycle. Discussion.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell

Pam K: Tim H mentioned the primary wrap-up on the 50 States grant. Have 90 days to fully finish things out. Ray F: advise having it complete by the Sept NSGIC meeting. Tim H: having a regional Homeland Security tour in July. This is a lead-up to funding.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

A lot going on with Project Homeland. Structures mapping important right now. OJ Stone providing GPS units to locals for structures mapping. No standards or processes, though, which is being addressed. Debbie: update on SEMA projects. Tim H: MERIS will be demoed on July 2, should move state forward significantly.

Local Government GroupMark Allen

Looking for subcommittee members. Moderating cadastral standards meeting at Missouri Mappers.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum

Have already talked about theLiDARworkshop. Tri-Lakes user group GIS day will not be held this year, though Springfield is. Tim H and Mark D are attending Missouri Mappers. Have been contacted by NSGIC about GIS Inventory (RAMONA) administration.

Strategic PlanningEric Foster

Have been working on a flowchart. Will have an annual report after the beginning of the fiscal year.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Nothing at state level. Nationally, the FLAIR act has been introduced in both houses (HR5532). NSGIC is asking all states to support this through their legislators. Letters of support are being solicited. Legislation aligns with one of the tenets of the NSDI. Discussion. Tony S will send out a draft letter of support.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Eastern state imagery is now available. Are now charging commercial data harvesters. Are loading portable hard drives where it makes sense, but need return postage paid (and insure your drive both ways). MSDIS retreat information online. Question from Jeff S about metadata in updated layers [HUC 8 and 14].

Missouri GIS Conference

Conference ChairsTony Spicci, Mark Allen

Meeting immediately following this. Budget at next meeting. Attendance and food costs are concerns. Contracts with Jamie and Tan-Tar-A are in place.

MAGIC Symposium CommitteeTony Spicci

No Report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

CLU is again out of the public domain due to wording in the Farm Bill. Project in the bootheel. Putting together a training package on photo interpretation. Question about Coast Guard differential GPS discontinuance. Discussion.MoDOTis building a statewide, vendor-neutral network.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

International Charter (satellite imagery) training. Must have a remote sensing specialist. Wenbo Song and Debbie Briedwell attending in July.

MACOG

No Report

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMAJim LaScala

Conference in August; come if you are not going to the ESRI UC.

MSPSJohn Teale

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

NSGIC has to decide whether to affiliate with the Coalition of Geospatial Organizations (COGO). Debbie B: how is COGO different from NSGIC? Tony S: NSGIC operates at the state level; COGO would operate higher than that. Explanation of purpose of group. Tony will send out a web site URL with more information.

Round Table Discussionall

Pam K: thanks for supporting the Rural GIS Summit
Diane T: comment about the NPS parcel layer related to the need for FLAIR
Ray F: draftMOGIS09workshop schedule available
Mark A: GIS will be available in September
Terry Libbert: need help turning sewer layer into GIS
Arnold W: old highway maps scanned and available onMoDOTweb site. Beginning edits on new highway map.
Christian Oros: excited to be in GIS
Greg R: June 26 Troop F mass casualty drill taking place. If you are a local and you haven’t been invited, stick your nose in. All participants will raise their EOC. High heat, power outage situation.
Steve M: Independence EOC is drilling an EF-5 tornado scenario next week.
Eric F: made EPA dialog comment. Might be funding for GIS coming from transportation bill.

Announcement of next meeting

July 10, 2008@ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 12:15

 

 

Comments are closed.