Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – December 11, 2008

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:11 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
David Finchabsent
Matt Hesserexcused
Donna Rehagenpresent
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Arnold Williamsexcused

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenpresent
Elizabeth CookTreasurerpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray FoxVice-chairpresent
Pam Kelrickpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannpresent
JimLaScalapresent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Brock Buerck, DED
Kim Burns, ESRI
Joe Clayton, MSPS
Eric Foster,MoDOT
Tim Donze, Surdex
Shannon White, MSDIS
Lee Elliott, MORAP
Lindsay Hunter, ESRI

Approval of the Minutes

November minutes are available on the web site. Motion to approve by Tony S, seconded by Tracy S. Approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

ITSD Transition OfficePreliminary Meeting with Steve Siegler and Bill Bryan, AGO

  • Google Earth
  • GIO
  • Sunshine Law for GIS
  • Data Sharing
  • MSDIS
  • Voting Precincts Map
  • SEMA GIS Proposal
  • Statewide Imagery,LiDAR
  • Data Stewardship

Orthoimagery Contracts

Buy-up Option: clarify that contract can be used by locals if allowed by local law

By-laws

No items submitted.

Nominations

No activity. Renewed and new members have not received letters from theCIOsoffice. Discussion about membership mechanism.

Project Updates

Northeast Regional MeetingPam Kelrick

No date yet but a draft agenda. Probably some time in March 2009. Will be held at county annex building (2nd choice) or at regional conservation office (1st choice). Steve M: should ask if funding from MAGIC is still being held. Tim H: there is a SEMA meeting March 24-27 that will probably affect both speakers and attendees of your meeting. Liz C: are you going to be requesting funds from MGISAC? Pam K: no. Discussion about dates. Steve M: would it be worthwhile to roll together aspects of the regional workshop and rural GIS summit? Pam K: that was discussed. Discussion.

State/Local Data Sharing DiscussionTim Haithcoat

Get the draft. Overview of changes since prior version. Discussion. Jim L: motion to approve the document for use by the CIO with inclusion of public/private flags. Seconded by Colin Duewell. Steve M: concerned about V. “CIO-MO” 4; could supersede entire document. Tim H: Jackson county has already signed this document through MARC. Steve: I had the same issue with MARC, but MARC doesn’t give out data; they point requesters to the individual local government entity. Discussion. Debbie B: since this is for MERIS, should the CIO be the signatory, or the Director of Public Safety? Discussion. Friendly amendment from Debbie B to change “and” to “or” in VI. 2. (“or the Participating Organizations”) and to add a category “Other” in Attachment A. Call to Question. Motion passes by vote.

Google Earth DiscussionTim Haithcoat

Get the draft. Would like this committee to forward this document to the State Architecture committee. Motion from Kevin K, seconded by Colin D, to approve document. Renee R: concerned about expenses that could be used to fund internal projects that would produce similar results. Jeff S: unsure of the need; listed shortcomings. Tim: most people don’t need analysis. We don’t have a consistent basemap across agencies. Discussion. Call to question. Motion withdrawn by Kevin K, concurred by Colin. Steve M: suggest drafting a letter acknowledging need for a tool but that more work needs to be done. More discussion. Steve will draft a letter to the MAEA detailing why the Google Earth document was not approved and what MGISAC is doing to address the situation. Aaron Addison is writing up a companion document onArcExplorer. Tracy Schloss will write up a companion document on Microsoft Virtual Earth.

Discussion Topic/Presentation

None

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Met Tuesday. Discussed imagery for the state. Tim D: block 1 has been delivered. Block 2 has been divided into 2A and 2B. 2A is ready to go to Arnold; 2B will be ready in a couple weeks. Ray: discussedLiDARprojects going on in Boone county and KC area and possibly Greene county. Imagery for the State business plan requirements needed from agencies.

FinanceLiz Cook

Was not able to get with Diane. No report.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell

Mark D: MSDIS is submitting a category 7 CAP grant. Ray F: anyone that would like to, FGDC is looking for reviewers. Good way to see how grants are written.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

Meeting minutes are on the subcommittee web page.

Local Government GroupMark Allen

No report.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

Mark D: a number of workshops and meetings coming up. Homeland Security workshop in April at Wash U. Tim & Mark attended the Southwest GIS Day. David D: GIS Day at the Capitol on January 8: yes or no? Discussion. GIS Day in the morning; MGISAC in the afternoon.

Strategic PlanningEric Foster

No report

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci

Conference ChairsTony Spicci, Mark Allen

70 registrants, 10 vendors. 11 of 28 people on this committee have registered. Discussion. Conference will move forward.

PlenaryHilary Perkins, Kim Burns

May add a Wednesday keynote back in if travel money can be worked out.

ProgramsSteve Marsh, Pam Kelrick, Colin Duewell

Overview of session tracks. 18 confirmed abstracts, 27 total. Tony: Colin and Pam are going to communicate where the gaps are. Everyone’s homework is to look at the list and substantively fill them in.

WorkshopsRay Fox, David Drum, Liz Cook, Renee Robinson

Ray: reminder went out to instructors. Think we’re in good shape. Tony: all but two workshops have at least one person signed up.

ExhibitsJim LaScala

Ten vendors. Need to make some phone calls.

Projects ShowcaseLiz Cook

Have two submissions. Tony: need to solicit submissions.

PublicityDavid Drum

Workshop email out, a little shy on information in other categories. Hope to have Program and Keynote emails out soon. Tony: Vendor email should go out soon as their registration ends in January.

AwardsMark Duewell

Bad news: no Lewis and Clark nomination. Good news: have 3 nominations in the regular award categories.

SocialDiane True, Kevin Kuhlmann

Menus will be picked soon.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

Previously discussed.

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

No report.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Have spent time working on the CAP grant, local governments. Introduced new Extension specialist, Shannon White.

MAGIC ConsortiumTony Spicci

No report.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No report.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Received election results from Secretary of State office. Will appear on the national map.

Missouri Association of Councils of Government

No report

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

Introduced Lee Elliott, new ecology specialist.

Missouri Mappers AssociationJim LaScala

Will mention conference in the MMA newsletter.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJohn Teale

Previously discussed.

National States Geographic Information CouncilTony Spicci

Mid-year meeting coming up soon.

Round Table Discussionall

Tony S: Kevin Borsenko was recently promoted to Wildlife Supervisor.

Announcement of next meeting

January 8, 2009 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 12:20 p.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.