Missouri GIS Advisory Council AgendaMay 12, 2011

Missouri GIS Advisory Committee AgendaMay 12, 2011

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:17 a.m.

Welcome and Introductions

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellexcused
Tim Haithcoatpresent
Paul Wrightpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellexcused
Colin Duewellpresent
Matt Hesserexcused
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciTreasurerpresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent via teleconference
Stan Balsman
Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Joe Claytonpresent
Elizabeth CookChairexcused
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairexcused
Matt Gerikepresent
Ming-Chih Hungpresent via teleconference
Melissa Johnsonpresent
Steve Marshpresent
Greg Reszexcused
Diane Truepresent
Andy Wagnerpresent
Shannon Whitepresent

Other Attendees

Josie Bock, Great River Associates (via teleconference)
Tim Donze, Surdex
Joe Eckmann, Esri
Eric Foster, MoDOT (via teleconference)
Kevin Kuhlmann, Sanborn (via teleconference)
Nathan Mattox, City of Jefferson (proxy for Greg Resz)
Darrell Pratte, DNR/DGLS/LSP, State Land Surveyor
Renee Robinson, National Guard
Jamie Schieber, Custom Meeting Planners
Christian Stitz, Pictometry
Jason Warzinik, Boone County
Kirk Webb, State Redistricting Office (proxy for Matt Hesser)

Approval of Minutes

April 14 minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve minutes from from Tracy Schloss, seconded by Steve Marsh, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Missouri GIO ReportTim Haithcoat/Paul Wright

Haithcoat: Trying to get Doug Young on the schedule in July. Wright: Enterprise Advantage Program in place with Esri. MSDIS image server bandwidth test occurred a couple weeks ago, results under review. Office now in room 840 of the Truman building. Aerial Survey contract discussions with State Purchasing and Procurement. No update on the cadastral survey. Discussing OGI/GIO effectiveness metrics; would like to discuss at the next meeting. Haithcoat: have added a lot of components to the aerial survey. Requesting any review criteria that have already been written.

MSDIS ReportMark Duewell

Duewell via email: Geoportal: Esri’s second visit accomplished significantly more last week than the first visit. All the major issues that we knew about have been solved – we have a lot of work ahead to populate the data in the portal and then configure the page aesthetics to reflect a closer alignment to the state sites. Look for an announcement to the MGISAC later this month or early next month regarding a beta release to the group followed by a public beta release. Haithcoat: a lot of flooding imagery has been added. Very close to launching the state broadband site.

Cadastral Standard Rulemaking ProcessDarrell Pratte, State Land Surveyor

Recent legislation directs the State Land Surveyor to develop cadastral mapping standards. Three stakeholder meetings are planned, roughly the beginning of June, middle of July, and end of August. Requesting ideas regarding cadastral mapping standards from everyone. Draft review by different disciplines afterward. Would like to avoid dissention during public comment. Discussion about how to get input from all stakeholders. Pratte: the early legwork of the rulemaking process has been done. Wagner: look to Illinois and Iowa; they already have cadastral standards. Further general discussion about the need for and benefits of a standard and how different stakeholders (primarily assessors and surveyors) may react.

Treasurer’s ReportTony Spicci

Balance remains unchanged at $22010.10. Final balance from conference is $4704.71. After check is deposited, balance will be $26714.81.

By-laws

No changes

MembershipTony Spicci

Three pending memberships (Clayton, Warzinik, Gerike) have been approved by the CIO. Membership renewals have been sent out to members whose terms expire June 30, 2011. Three new members have been approved by the committee: Great River Associates represented by Josie Bock, Surdex represented by Tim Donze, and Sanborn represented by Kevin Kuhlmann. Motion from Wagner to approve all three nominations, multiple seconds. Approved unanimously. One membership is being discussed as a result of missed meetings. All other members are in good standing.

Project Updates/Action Items

MGISAC Web SiteJason Warzinik

Passwords have been sent out to committee chairs. Old minutes currently being imported. Seeking input on how to index minutes. Expect to have content migrated by next month. Will contact individual committee chairs to finalize migrating their pages.

New Logo

No report

2011 Missouri GIS Conference

Final balance from conference is $4704.71. Budgeted to lose about $1000.

2013 Missouri GIS Conference

Discussion on whether to hold

Motion from Jeff Schloss to hold a conference in 2013, seconded by Arnold Williams. Discussion about the general parameters of the term “conference”. Call to question by Drum, seconded by Tracy Schloss, approved by vote. Motion approved by vote.

Conference planning contract

Schieber: have priced out the cost of evaluating five possible locations. Motion from Tracy Schloss to contract with Custom Meeting Planners for site selection for the 2013 conference, seconded by Wagner. Discussion. Shannon White offered a friendly amendment to drop Kansas City from consideration due to the MAGIC Symposium already covering that area. Friendly amendment accepted by Schloss. Motion approved by vote.

Conference Committee

Marsh offered a motion for the Council to create a conference committee, seconded by Wagner, approved by vote. Committee volunteers: Leslie Chamberlain, Tim Donze, David Drum (chair), Colin Duewell, Joe Eckmann, Ray Fox, Ming Hung, Kevin Kuhlmann, Steve Marsh, Jamie Scheiber, Andy Wagner, Jason Warzinik, Shannon White, Arnold Williams. Drum volunteered to arrange initial teleconference to discuss conference parameters Schieber will need in order to send out the RFP to candidate cities’ convention and visitors bureau.

MGISAC Budget for FY12

Committee chairs and anyone else with strong interest in a particular budget item please submit to Spicci to appear on the FY12 budget. Budget will be presented and voted on at the June meeting.

Discussion Topics/Presentations

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox

No report

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

Briedwell via email: Did not meet this month. The MoIMT (Missouri Infrastructure Mapping Tool) which provides a portable Google Earth application with critical infrastructure in KML format, was released last week at the SEMA conference. The County Mapbooks are also now available to download. The State EOC has been activated since Monday April 25 for flooding in the southern portion of the state. Staff at SEMA, DHSS, National Guard, and DNR Water Resource Center have been working to provide GIS support since that time. Besides providing support to State agencies, we have also been providing GIS support to the EMAC in Sikeston, and the EOC in Stoddard County. The International Charter was activated on Thursday April 28th. The IC provides commercial satellite imagery during times of disaster at no charge. Since that time we have acquired LandSat, Quickbird, SPOT, and other imagery. The University of Missouri has set up a secure Image Service to serve this out to SEMA, and HyperSpectral Imagery from the Civil Air Patrol for DNR. A new tool was tested that allows Emergency personnel to upload geotagged photos on a website and they are then provided as a georss feed or kml feed. This has worked very well, with the National Guard, local EMs and the EPA Region 7 taking advantage of the tool. While the SEOC is still activated, we have slowed down considerably as the waters go down. There are still 5 active shelters in the Southeast portion of the state with a total population of 62 as of yesterday. Robinson: still getting requests to host US National Grid training; will discuss at the next committee meeting.

Local Government GroupMatt Gerike/Melissa Johnson/Leslie Chamberlin

Talking with groups about the handout they are using to collect information

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

Southeast Missouri Symposium: June 21st, Cape Girardeau, registration is open, agenda is set, flyers (multiple) are out and circulating.

Policy & LegislationJoe Clayton

Senate Bill 220 passed yesterday, increasing the lein size to 3 acres, statute of limitations to ten years. Tomorrow is the day that all good ideas die, and it looks like they will.

Strategic PlanningShannon White/Jeff Schloss

No report

Liaison Reports

MAGIC ConsortiumSteve Marsh

Getting the IRS return ready.

NSGICTim Haithcoat

Spicci/Drum: recent discussion on the mailing list has been about RAMONA/GISInventory and metadata capabilities. GISInventory is a great asset for local government and emergency management. GISInventory does not hold your data. It is only a lookup of what data exists. White: how do we get on the NSGIC mailing list? Discussion about MGISAC’s level of membership with NSGIC.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

NRCSLiz Cook

No report

USGSRay Fox

No report

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

No report

Missouri Mappers AssociationMelissa Johnson

Conference is July 26-29; more information on the web site. Web site being upgraded.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJoe Clayton

Passed the MSPS draft cadastral mapping standard. Scholarship activity.

Round Table Discussionall

Steve Marsh: county level redistricting activity. Really interesting.
Andy Wagner: working through tornado damage.
Tracy Schloss: working with SEMA on arcgisonline site.
Shannon White: still accepting students for Geography Camp the last week of July.
Joe Eckmann: adding a lot to arcgis online; big announcement at the user conference. Community Analyst Online complementing Business Analyst Online. Enterprise Advantage Program is now on the state purchasing agreement.
Tony Spicci: flooding impacting some Conservation areas. New staff coming into the department.
Darrell Pratte: placed a center of population monument in Plato.

Announcement of next meeting

June 9 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 11:24 a.m.

Comments are closed.