Missouri GIS Advisory Council AgendaJune 9, 2011

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:17 a.m.

Welcome and Introductions

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatexcused
Paul Wrightpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
Matt Hesserpresent
Renee Robinsonabsent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciTreasurerexcused
Beth Struempfpresent
Arnold Williamsexcused

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonabsent
Stan Balsman absent
Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Joe Claytonpresent
Elizabeth CookChairpresent
David DrumSecretaryexcused
Ray FoxVice-chairpresent
Matt Gerikepresent via teleconference
Ming-Chih Hungpresent via teleconference
Melissa Johnsonpresent
Steve Marshpresent via teleconference proxy for Spicci
Greg Reszpresent via teleconference
Diane Truepresent via teleconference
Andy Wagnerpresent
Shannon Whitepresent

Other Attendees

Josie Bock, Great River Associates (via teleconference)
Tim Donze, Surdex
Joe Eckmann, Esri (via teleconference)
Kevin Kuhlmann, Sanborn – present
Howard McGee, Pictometry
Jason Warzinik, Boone County (via teleconference)
Kirk Webb, State Redistricting Office

Kenny Leigleiter Wilson & Co (via teleconference)

Approval of Minutes

May 12 minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve minutes from from Tracy Schloss, seconded by Leslie Chamberlin, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Missouri GIO ReportPaul Wright

Wright: Doug Young has approved the new structure of GIS staff from the state agencies. Some will be moving to 840 Truman Bldg, while others will stay in their agency facilities. Debbie Briedwell will be the group supervisor. Architecture review is in process with Esri. MSDIS image server bandwidth test occurred a couple weeks ago, results under review. Discussions of OGI/GIO effectiveness metrics are underway.

Wright for Haithcoat: Cadastral standards meetings to start in July. Several indicated interest in being included in discussions. Imagery RFP is nearing final revisions and is in the process of being reviewed by OA Purchasing. The contract is being designed similar to IT consulting contracts with different services broke out and there would be contractors selected for primary, secondary and tertiary awards. Point addressing is an ongoing project. K-12 licensing is being worked with DESI. Cloud computing meeting in Helena, MT is being monitored. GIS emergency event coordination is a key topic after the lessons learned in Joplin.

MSDIS ReportMark Duewell

Duewell: A post event lessons learned effort after the Joplin disaster is important. Imagery server procedures issues draft will be distributed next week. After the meeting will be a discussion about imager server development to discuss licensing and use procedures. A security audit for the geoportal is underway. Jeff Schloss: MSDIS image server does not yet have the 2 ortho fixes recently provided to DNR. Cook: Recently used 93 flood imagery downloaded from MSDIS.

Treasurer’s ReportTony Spicci

No formal report. Cook: Conference profit has been deposited. No expenses.

By-laws

No changes

MembershipTony Spicci

Several new members indicated they had not yet received their letter from the CIO

Project Updates/Action Items

MGISAC Web SiteJason Warzinik

Old minutes continue to be imported. Membership list had recently been updated. Comments were made regarding making the formal switch sooner vs. later, instead of continuing with two sites.

Joplin Tornado Response

There were reports of situations where things worked well and others where things work poorly or even horribly. All agreed that we should use this experience to better prepare for future events. There is great need for high level coordination of volunteers in the geospatial arena. Also needed, is in the field tracking of what buildings have been searched with the ability to log this data on the fly into a GIS / Imagery application. There is a need to have better communication about where aerial imagery could be sourced.

New Logo

No report

2011 Missouri GIS Conference

No report

2013 Missouri GIS Conference

The conference committee held two teleconferences and corresponded through email to design a rough outline of the 2013 conference. This information was provided to Jamie to research locations and cost. We expect Jamie will have information to share at the July meeting.

MGISAC Budget for FY12

Committee chairs and anyone else with strong interest in a particular budget item please submit to Spicci to appear on the FY12 budget. Budget will be presented and voted on at the July meeting.

Redistricting Update

Hesser: Redistricting is underway in two separate avenues: Congressional and Legislative. Congressional was completed by the General Assembly with House Bill 193. Legislative effort to re-draw the district boundaries is in process in both the House and Senate. Public hearings are complete; commissions have been formed to develop possible redistricting plans. The plans are being reviewed and will be finalize in late August.

MSDIS Geoportal Demo

Mark Duewell demonstrated the portal which is ~95% functional on data. There is still a lot to upload and they are converting coverages to shapefiles. A beta version of the site will be opened up to MGISAC members in the near future for testing and comments.

Discussion Topics/Presentations

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox

Boone County LiDAR has passed the QC process and has been accepted. Point cloud data will be provided next. Meramec Basin LiDAR project is progressing nicely with the Dent, Rolla, Steelville data having been delivered and passed QC by AMEC. Jefferson County data will be delivered within a week to AMEC and subsequently to the other partners. Green County LiDAR data is coming soon. The Memphis Corp of Engineers plans to fly post flood LiDAR of the Mississippi / Ohio River flood.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

Briedwell shared her experience in supporting the first responders in Joplin. She agrees that there is much to learn from the Joplin experience. National Grid training will be part of the SEMO workshop, Balsman to conduct the session. She is working with the St. Louis and KC Corp to prepare for Missouri River flooding.

Local Government GroupMatt Gerike/Melissa Johnson/Leslie Chamberlin

Gerike: Encouraged more locals to provide information for their directory.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

Southeast Missouri Symposium: June 21st, Cape Girardeau, registration is open (50+ registrants), agenda is set, flyers (multiple) are out and circulating. Conference call discussions regarding continuing workshops, adding scholarship and sponsorship of summer camp. Drum had to resign as co-chair and White has volunteered as co-chair.

Policy & LegislationJoe Clayton

Lightsquared GPS issues continue to be a hot topic.

Strategic PlanningShannon White/Jeff Schloss

No report. On hold until GIO and GIS staff restructuring is complete.

Liaison Reports

MAGIC ConsortiumSteve Marsh

MAGIC retreat in Des Moines is coming up. Committee is set and the program / vendor efforts are next. Ryan Lanclose is the chair with Steve and Amber assisting.

NSGICTim Haithcoat

No report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

NRCSLiz Cook

NRCS has recently expanded their vision and goals regarding geospatial efforts and use of remote sensing. With staff reduction through early retirement buy outs underway, there is great concern about significant loss of domain knowledge. (Brain drain). Budgets continue to be reduced.

USGSRay Fox

LiDAR evaluation continues and budgets are being reduced.

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

No report

Missouri Mappers AssociationMelissa Johnson

Conference is July 26-29; more information on the web site.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJoe Clayton

No report

Round Table Discussionall

Steve Marsh: meeting schedule for cadastral standard is out with a July start. Some indicated interest and their lack of awareness of the meeting schedule.
Andy Wagner: Maryland Heights is dealing with home owners walking away from their destroyed properties
Shannon White: Provided an overview of America View consortium. More details next month.

Announcement of next meeting

Discussion about conflict with ESRI conference. Decision to keep the meeting July 14th @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 11:30 a.m.

 

Comments are closed.