July 14, 2011 Minutes

Date: July 14, 2011
Location: Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 AM
Call in Info Call 1-866-910-4857 and join meeting 449856.

Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewellpresent
Missouri State GIO Tim Haithcoatpresent
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wrightpresent
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwellpresent via teleconference (proxy for Tony Spicci)
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewellpresent
OA Div. of Budget and Planning Matt Hesserexcused
JFMO-EM Renee Robinsonabsent
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Jeff Schlossexcused
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schlosspresent
Department of Conservation Tony Spicciexcused
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempfpresent
MoDOT Arnold Williamsexcused
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addisonexcused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsmanpresent
Camden County Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Claytonpresent
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cookpresent
MOREnet David Drumpresent
USGS Ray Foxpresent
City of Columbia Matt Gerikeexcused
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hungpresent via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnsonabsent
Jackson County Steve Marshabsent
City of Jefferson Greg Reszexcused
MoRAP Diane Truepresent via teleconference
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagnerpresent
Boone County Jason Warzinikpresent (proxy for Matt Gerike)
MU Extension/Department of Geography Shannon Whitepresent via teleconference
Other Attendees
Surdex Tim Donze
Esri Joe Eckmannpresent via teleconference
Department of Natural Resources, Land Survey Program Darrell Pratte
Land Survey Program Robert Ross
Redistricting Office Kirk Webb (proxy for Matt Hesser and Colin Duewell)

3. Approval of Minutes
June minutes available on the web site.
Motion to approve from Drum, seconded by Chamberlin, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri Geographic Information Officer and OGI report Tim Haithcoat and Paul Wright
Wright: Have 6 staff located in 840 Truman, more staff collocated with agencies. Looking at internal processes. Looking at restarting the State Agency Group (SAG). Met with Esri to discuss extended program and architectural review. Will help to define metrics and short- and long-term goals. Haithcoat: met Tuesday to work on the aerial imagery RFP with state procurement staff. Architecture goal is to have a geo-enabled enterprise, i.e. all data collected at the state level. Cook: are staff still employees of their respective agencies? Wright: yes, due to funding and other considerations; what we would like to do is get agencies who are not using GIS to be able to begin. Fox: are there people not directly in your office who would be part of the SAG? Wright: yes, MoDOT, Highway Patrol, Conservation are examples. Continued explanation of staffing and activity goals of the OGI office. Balsman: will the RPCs be involved with the SAG? Wright: were open to suggestions. Haithcoat: theyre open meetings.
4.2 MSDIS report Mark Duewell
New services continuing to be rolled out to more people. Adding new data, metadata; training new staff. Working on Callaway, Moniteau counties; will have to add Boone which was unexpected. New MSDIS site available as an option soon. Attending the MAGIC clearinghouse summit in August; topic will be how clearinghouses can best support emergency (disaster) response. New data will only go on the new portal.
4.3 Treasurers report Liz Cook for Tony Spicci
No expenses or revenues in previous month. Balance stands at $26,644.39.
4.4 2011-2012 Budget Liz Cook for Tony Spicci
FY12 budget presented. Motion to approve budget from Schloss, seconded by Warzinik, approved by vote. Committee chairs with budget items are now approved to spend up to the budgeted amounts without subsequent approval from the council. Additional money may be sought from council if needed.
4.5 By-Laws Liz Cook
Haithcoat, Cook to work on by-laws changes for approval next month: establish ex officio membership for USGS liaison; change subcommittee references to committee. Soliciting ideas for other changes to the by-laws.
4.6 Membership report Liz Cook
No new information on pending approval by CIO of Great Rivers Engineering (Bock), Surdex (Donze) or Sanborn (Kuhlmann).
4.7 Officers Election (vote at August meeting) Arnold Williams
Nominations for officers closes on July 29. Arnold will provide instructions on how to vote if you will not be able to attend the August meeting. Each candidate will be given up to five minutes for a platform statement.
5. Project update/Action Items
5.1 Cadastral Mapping Standards Working Group MGISAC representation?
Meeting scheduled for this afternoon was cancelled due to concerns that some parties may not have been notified sufficiently in advance. New meeting is scheduled for August 11 following the MGISAC meeting; invitations will be mailed. Discussion about the standards. Standards documents are on the Secretary of States and Land Surveyors web sites. Discussion.
5.2 Geospatial Metrics Paul Wright
Wright brought a series of potential metrics for MSDIS, MGISAC, and OGI. Solicited additional metrics. Conducted a Nominal Group Technique vote. Results to be collated and announced.
5.3 Missouri Mappers Conference July 26-29 Liz Cook
MGISAC has an in-kind booth reserved at the MMA conference. Haithcoat will arrange for MSDIS to take care of the booth.
5.4 2013 Missouri GIS Conference David Drum
Report back from Jamie. Twenty hotels responded. Teleconference scheduled for July 19 from 13 p.m. to come up with first/second/third choice recommendations for council review and approval.
6. Committee reports
6.1 Data development Ray Fox
Met Tuesday at the Lewis and Clark building; 14 in attendance. Notes to go on the web site. Boone county data distributed to all but MSDIS. Greene county, St. Louis area data done. NHD stewardship MOU signed. LiDAR stakeholders meeting coming up soon.
6.2 Homeland Security Debbie Briedwell
Did not meet this month; still busy with activations. Will have lots to talk aboutlessons learned.
6.3 Local Government Jason Warzinik
Directory has 32 records now through web searching census.
6.4 Outreach and Education Mark Duewell, Shannon White
White: have been working with DESE on Esri statewide licensing. Attended meeting at Esri UC with other states who have established the license. Geography camp week after next. Duewell: have refreshed committee membership and goals. Looking for more participants. Looking for a location for a Lake-area workshop.
6.5 Policy and Legislation Joe Clayton
Cadastastral Mapping Standards meeting will be next month following the MGISAC meeting.
6.6 Strategic Planning Shannon White
A conference call meeting was held (no date given) with five participants. Shannon will set up a call prior to the August meeting. Need to align the strategic plan with the OGI short and long range goals. The committee has drafted mission and vision statements for MGISAC which will be presented at the next meeting. She suggests that we change the language in the Strategic Plan to Geospatial in order to not exclude GPS and remote sensing and keep in agreement with OGI.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium Steve Marsh
No report
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council Tim Haithcoat
National meeting is in Boise, ID September 25-29. Due to travel restrictions Paul may not be able to attend as the Missouri representative. Ray Fox and Tony Spicci will be attending.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS – Liz Cook
No report
8.2 USGS Ray Fox
No report
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership Diane True
Questions on MORAPs stewardship project (land ownership). Diane said that the results may not be made public due to some licensed data. Diane will see if this can be removed and the remainder made public.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association Melissa Johnson
Mark Duewell will set up the booth, this is an in-kind agreement between our organizations. Stan Balsman asked if MGISAC was considering a state GIS certificate, that idea had died several years ago. Liz Cook suggested Missouri Mappers could develop a digital mappers certificate. Several institutions of higher learning do issue GIS certificates; there have been discussions on making this available to working professionals on line.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton
Business meeting and courses required for maintaining licenses held last Saturday. Annual meeting is in October.
9. Round table Discussion
Joe Eckman asked on the status of the broad band project. Tim replied they are testing the system now, expect to have results this week and will be going live. Everything is in place.
Stan Balsman thanked MGISAC and especially those that helped plan and attended the Cape workshop. It was deemed very successful with 54 people attending and good presentations.
Jason Warzinik is developing an Automatic Vehicle Location system for the county and is looking for suggestions from anyone that has implemented this. Mark Duewell suggested he contact Brett Lord-Castillo as he has done this for St Louis County. The new MGISAC website has gone active; Jason has a backup in case any committee chair has information that did not cross over. Jason has developed a flood model and is testing. He is also working on county plat books.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, August 11, 2011, Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:10.

Comments are closed.