Minutes for December 13, 2012
Date: December 13, 2012
Location: Conservation Research Center, 3500 East Gans Rd, Columbia, MO 65201
Time: 9:00 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:04 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewell—present|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wright—present||State|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell, Vice-chair—present|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell—present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser—present via teleconference|
|OA-ITSD Natural Resources||Jeff Schloss—present via teleconference|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schloss—absent|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci—present|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempf—present via teleconference||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison—excused|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman—present via teleconference|
|Great River Associates||Josie Bock—present via teleconference|
|Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors||Joe Clayton—excused|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer and Past Chair—present|
|MOREnet||David Drum, Secretary—present|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike—present|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson—present|
|MARC||Steve Marsh, Chair—present (proxy for Stan Balsman and Joe Clayton)|
|Jackson County||Amber Reynolds—present|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Resz—absent|
|Sanborn Mapping||Gary Steele—absent|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner—present|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik—present|
|MU Extension/Department of Geography||Shannon White—present||Other Attendees|
|Census Bureau||Craig Best|
|Esri||Joe Eckmann (via teleconference)|
|Woolpert||Rick Hammond (via teleconference)|
|Custom Meeting Planners||Jamie Schieber|
|Mid-Missouri Regional Planning Commission||Katrina Thomas|
3. Approval of Minutes
November minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from White, seconded by Spicci, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
- Aerial Imagery/LiDAR RFP: There were some additional questions on the RFP as to the use of prequalifying consultants. OGI provided additional documentation and the use of prequalification was accepted. Last changes were being made and OA Purchasing is to have the document ready by 12/12/12. This will be given to the Data Development committee for review.
- Google Products and Services: Google continues to utilize much of our time. The hardware and server software installation is complete. Initial bid requests for Natural Resources were posted and returned. None were accepted due to overall cost so OGI is reviewing to identify tasks that can be done internally. A new bid request may go out later to provide some consulting assistance. Public Safety has not moved forward with any projects at this point and DOLIR has an initial application they are working with internal staff.
- Collaboration: OGI will be meeting to develop a GIS collaboration group to provide “oversight” to GIS in the state. We have had some very preliminary discussions with MDC and MODOT about the formation of a committee. OGI will be meeting internally to discuss on 12/14/12.
- RFP draft for imagery completed late yesterday and sent to Fox; a couple pieces remain to be completed.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell
- MOLiDAR has been launched. Public comments so far have been limited but appreciative. The service is available in both LAS: (http://www.msdis.missouri.edu/data/lidar/download/index.html)
And DEM form: http://www.msdis.missouri.edu/data/lidar/download/modem.html
- Data in the GeoPortal has been administratively reviewed: duplicates have been removed, naming conventions normalized and additional files added. In addition a new temporary staff member has been added specifically to work with the GeoPortal (this is addition to the 25% FTE we have dedicated already). This is a slow process due to the detail involved but steady progress is now being made. Look for more data to be loaded in the near future.
- Some staff time has gone to—and will continue to be dedicated to—ramping up the new MSDIS web servers, each of which have 10TB of disk storage available. Again one will be the primary and the other the back-up. Both will be functionally “Failover” ready.
- A total of 17 students/staff members are now digitizing “Structures” points and footprints. MO-Kan is under final review of the initial pass. Ozarks Foothills (45 counties) is entering final review for same. Kaysinger Basin (7) and South Central Ozarks (7) are in progress – but well along. Sub-contracts are still not finished but we’re told will be forthcoming.
- EastWest Gateway 6″ imagery is now available as a service here: http://moimagery.missouri.edu/arcgis/rest/services/LGov/EWGateway_6inch/ImageServer
- Wenbo and Martin will be attending SQL DBA training in January.
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
MAGIC approved sponsorship of the 2013 Missouri GIS Conference.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No membership issues at this time. No nominations at this time. Two open seats: US National Guard and Camden County.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
Nothing submitted within the ten-day window.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Geographic Support Program Initiative (GSSI) — Craig Best
5.2 2013 Missouri GIS Conference — Andy Wagner, Aaron Addison
Wagner: 27 abstracts submitted, will begin to lay out program next week. Only two or three awards nominations have been received. Schieber: Registration numbers are a little behind compared to two years ago. Donze: 11 exhibitors. General arrangements discussion. Discussion about allowing one or more vendors present to the entire conference body. Council consensus is not to allow this.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Imagery: St. Louis has been delivered to MSDIS. KC: five counties done; two counties in QC/metadata. EastWest is willing to manage St. Louis imagery project again in 2015. LiDAR projects moving along. Looking at a leaf-off flight of Missouri in 2015.
6.2 Homeland Security — Debbie Briedwell
Nothing to report.
6.3 Local Government — Matt Gerike, Melissa Johnson, Jason Warzinik
Working on wrapping up the survey. Drum: inquiries at MOREnet from two county assessors. How best to serve small local government entities? Wagner: happens in the metro areas also. Some entities have money for data, or software, or people, but not always all three. Panel discussion planned for the conference.
6.4 Outreach and Education — Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Have been approached by Marion County about hosting a regional workshop in the fall. Discussion about providing an update of MGISAC activities during a meal or general session at the conference.
6.5 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
A lot of new elected officials this session. No activity of note at this time. White is putting together a profile of elected officials with a geographic slant.
6.6 Strategic Planning — Shannon White
Very brief call tomorrow at 1:00.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Grant application submission window has closed. Symposium planning retreat in February.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Paul Wright
[Wright had submitted his report by email prior to the meeting and had left the meeting by this item.] No report. NSGIC has had little activity of late. Marsh: is anyone attending the mid-year conference? Spicci is attending and will represent Missouri as necessary.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Nothing to report.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
Nothing to report.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Nothing to report.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
9. Round table Discussion
Reynolds: ramping up for new IT infrastructure. New analyst by the end of the week.
Drum: have had two GIS students find full-time employment in GIS jobs.
Warzinik: more information on cadastral standards soon.
Gerike: have completed PhD in Geography.
White: two different multi-state projects underway.
Schieber: daughter was in the top three in her class’ geography bee.
M. Duewell: participating in the FGDC metadata working group.
Johnson: have moved offices to the Courthouse.
Fox: Geographic Names meeting last month.
Wagner: finishing a year-long implementation of Accela software, including GIS.
Spicci: role at Conservation continues to evolve away from enterprise GIS.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, January 10, 2012, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:16 a.m.
2 thoughts on “Minutes for December 13, 2012”
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
• Aerial Imagery/LiDAR RFP: There were some additional questions on the RFP as to the use of prequalifying consultants. OGI provided additional documentation and the use of prequalification was accepted. Last changes were being made and OA Purchasing is to have the document ready by 12/12/12. This will be given to the Data Management committee for review.
Change to Data Development committee
EastWest is willing to manage St. Louis imagery project again next year.
Change next year to 2015
Thanks, Ray. I have made these changes.
Comments are closed.