Minutes for November 13, 2014

Minutes for November 13, 2014

Date: November 13, 2014
Location: USDA NRCS Offices, Parkade Center, Columbia, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:35 a.m. by Spicci.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Shelly Silch—teleconference
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—teleconference (proxy for Streumph)
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—teleconference
MoDOT Joe Carter—excused
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—teleconference
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—teleconference
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—teleconference
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Chair-Elect—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—excused
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—excused
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—teleconference
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—excused
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—absent
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
Mark Twain National Forest Tom Forbes—teleconference
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—teleconference
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—teleconference
Woolpert, Inc. Rick Hammond—teleconference
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—teleconference
MARC Steve Marsh—teleconference
Jackson County Amber Reynolds, Chair—present (proxy for Carter)
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—teleconference
MoRAP Diane True—absent
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—absent
Boone County Jason Warzinik—teleconference
MU Extension Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
Census Bureau Craig Best
Esri Joe Eckmann
Woolpert Kent Park
Custom Meeting Planners Jamie Schieber

3. Approval of Minutes
October minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Cook, seconded by Donze, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • ESRI Contract Discussions continue between OA Purchasing and ESRI regarding the terms and conditions of the new contract. We have maintenance coming due and new software purchases awaiting this contract.
  • Esri Contract Update Esri has agreed to contract changes and are moving forward with approvals. Contract should be signed soon.
  • Server Review and Consolidation The new OGI production server is in operation. DHSS was moved to this new server as part of the consolidation. The old server will be decommissioned after 30 days.
    We have also been adding other organizations to our license manager for concurrent desktop software. We recently added Dept of Mental Health and discussed doing the same with the Dept of Agriculture.
  • Internal State Projects
    • Jeff Schloss provided an overview of OGI and OGI services at the ITSD Client Service Managers last month, at the request of Tim Robyn. We have had a number of inquiries about the use of mapping services since that time.
    • A Dept of Mental Health project provides technical support to the division to meet the requirements of the Home and Community Based Services Rule 42 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
    • The Dept of Elementary & Secondary Education began a project to provide their School Directory via an online map. It is currently a PDF.
    • The Department of Health & Senior Services (DHSS) has a project to update their Public Health Issue Management System (PHIMS) process. This includes changing related maps from PDF format to online mapping services.
    • For questions I received related to Senate Bill 809, I received an informal reply from Brett Berri and forwarded to Amber Reynolds. The reply was developed by the Missouri Board of Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors, and Professional Landscape Architects (APEPLSPLA) Attorneys.
    • We continue to work on two online introductory GIS courses, one for managers and the other for technical staff. These would be provided via Moodle software.

Question from Cook about the new contract. Eckmann explained that the contract is for a discount and not a blanket license. Eckmann said that he could help determine whether back maintenance or new licenses would be less expensive.
Wright has not heard anything about money being released for imagery.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. GeoPortal: MSDISWEB-MST (Rolla) last Friday was largely successful. A minor issue with FTP has been dealt with and that section of the server will be tested again, hopefully before this weekend. The plan is to make sure MSDISWeb-MST is solid and then replicate the entire server to a new virtual partition (with appropriate changes) for MSDISWeb-TC and eventually MSDISWeb-NN.
  2. Broadband “Structures” Project: Final review of the “Structures” project data (for the remaining county, St. Charles) will be completed by Friday COB. With the addition of the Tall Structures data points we’ll be shipping a new data set to the RPCs. Total points for the entire set of “Structures” iterations has now eclipsed 5 million: 5,004,120 in actuality. Footprints came in finally at 276,786. Duewell will present a final report at a future meeting.
    Tim and I presented a show and tell final report at the most recent MACOG Board meeting, November 6th. We received their thanks for the project and offered ours for their staff’s hard work and dedication and the overall partnership.
  3. The “Tall Structures” project: There are currently 7 staff and interns working on this project, soon to be fewer. Some student interns will be leaving us as they are finding positions in the geospatial discipline, which is to be expected. There are no plans to replace them as funding for the project winds down. Total tall structures points are at 81,377.
  4. The 2007-2009 2’ Imagery: Is now being loaded into the geoportal. A-B files are already in.
  5. MSDIS (Mark) presented accessing and downloading the LiDAR data sets currently available at Washington University through both FTP and the MSDIS LiDAR tool at the SEMO LiDAR Workshop, November 5th.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

Expense Food at GIS Symposium in Cape Girardeau $250.00
Ending balance   $20,469.68

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Josie Bock is no longer with Great Rivers Engineering and its membership has expired. Joe Clayton is no longer with MDC and is currently out of contact. Sanborn has not yet named a replacement for Kenny Legleiter.
4.5 By-laws — Tony Spicci
No updates.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 SB 809 — Amber Reynolds
Clarification was distributed through email accompanying meeting announcement and agenda. Discussion of lingering questions.
5.2 GIS Day Update — Paul Wright
There was a change to the date we requested. The session was moved to 4/21, same times.
Updated Event Information
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 9:00 AM-Noon
Location: Capitol Building, Rotunda, 1st Floor
Format: Booths/displays; electrical and internet have been requested.
Submission for Available Tables
We sent out instructions for submittals from interested organizations/groups for the 5 available tables. We have received 3 submissions to-date.
The submittal request was re-sent on 11/10/14.
A flyer to be provided to state legislators has been drafted (attached as a separate item).
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Liz Cook
Met by teleconference on 11/5 to write task statements for Strategic Planning. Those were distributed by email to the mailing list and also to Gerike as SP committee chair. Discussed a state champion for aerial imagery acquisition. Prior satisfaction with piecemeal approach suggests not pursuing difficult statewide project. Mid-Missouri six county leaf-off flight confirmed for spring. Question from Silch about MoDOT participation. Donze explained that they have in the past but generally run solo along their corridors. Donze has received approval to distribute APFO imagery to MSDIS and other state entities. Cook provided URL to public imagery source, http://services.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/services
6.2 NG911 Addressing — Steve Marsh
Kansas City MO area close to adopting as a guideline the point addressing standard from Kansas. Marsh leaving MARC for a position at Lee’s Summit.
6.3 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Met by teleconference, wrapping up local government survey report.
6.4 Education — Shannon White
Did not meet in October. Need to clarify goals and tasks with respect to budget. Have 52 counties confirmed with several more promised participating in Geography Awareness Week and GIS Day.
6.5 Outreach — Colin Duewell, Tim Donze
Donze: LiDAR workshop in Cape Girardeau on 11/5. Went very well, good presenters. 35 attendees, lower than expected. Presentations will be posted on the MGISAC web site. Post-workshop survey has been distributed. Working on Strategic Planning requests. M. Duewell: have been asked to go to MSU for GIS Day. May I take the MGISAC booth and represent the Council? All: yes.
6.6 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Met 11/4 to develop Strategic Planning materials. Busy on workshop portion of web site.
6.7 Policy and Legislation — Amber Reynolds
Would anyone like to take over this committee? No volunteers. Prepare to be voluntold. Discussion of techniques to follow legislation.
6.8 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
Several committees have provided materials. A few stragglers. Very grateful to everyone’s efforts. Will combine into a complete document.
6.9 Missouri GIS Conference — Mark Duewell
Conference is coming together in a very cost-effective way. More focus on exhibitors. Already have two platinum sponsors, Esri and Surdex. Registration is open though numbers are low. Planning another general conference committee conference call. Hackathon will precede conference on Presidents Day. Three keynotes arranged. Discussion about the pros and cons of conference insurance in the absence of a hotel room block.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
No report
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • GAO approached NSGIC, others to discuss duplicative efforts. Report done, at NSGIC for proofing. Hopefully their results will be out in February or March. GAO will be at NSGIC to present results. May dovetail with pending geospatial data act.
  • Geospatial data act has been reviewed by stakeholders. Will not introduce bill this year. Sitting with legal council for review.
  • COGO Report Card should be ready by the end of the year.
  • 133 cities program in flux. USGS has decided to support through EROS data center.
  • NG911 data model work with NENA, others to determine feasibility.
  • Working with NAPSIG on joint letter to NGA to make HSIP databases more accessible.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Colleague’s experience at Cape Girardeau LiDAR workshop was transformative; made a new ally. Have 40 counties done, just stuck on metadata and making it clear how data was tiled together.
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
New LiDAR spec 1.1 is out even though it looks like it is still 1.0. Working on getting that corrected.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
No report
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report
9. Round table Discussion
Howell: will be hiring an entry-level technician soon.
Donze: have a few positions open, including a project manager role under Tim Bohn.
M. Duewell: MSDIS/GRC will be moving late spring to Ellis Fischel (probably) during Stewart Hall renovation.
White: GTU will host a mapathon 11/18 4-7 updating Open Street Maps in Sierra Leone and Libera. MGA conference last weekend, 117 people including a lot of pre-service teachers. GeoFred mapping product presentation. A lot of story mapping presentations.
Drum: My very talented GIS student is seeking employment in the St. Louis area.
Spicci: Fisheries Information Specialist position open, posted on MSDIS. Chris Wieberg’s GIS Coordination position is opening soon.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, December 11, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:32 a.m.

Comments are closed.