Minutes for May 14, 2015
Date: May 14, 2015
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:33 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewell—present|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wright—excused||State|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—telephone|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell—present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser—present|
|Missouri National Guard||Wiley Howell—excused|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schloss—telephone|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci, Chair-Elect—present|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempf—telephone|
|Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources||Michael Weller—telephone||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison—excused|
|Sanborn Mapping||Brad Arshat—telephone|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman—present|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present|
|Surdex||Tim Donze—present (proxy for Wagner)|
|MOREnet||David Drum, Secretary—present|
|US ACE St. Louis||Michael Gawedzinski—present|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike—present (proxy for White)|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon—present|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Rick Hammond—excused|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung—telephone|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson—excused|
|City of Lee's Summit||Steve Marsh—telephone|
|Jackson County||Amber Reynolds, Chair—telephone (late)|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Resz—absent|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner—excused|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik—present|
|MU Extension||Shannon White—excused||Other Attendees|
|US Census Bureau||Craig Best|
|Pioneer Trails RPC||Yunnan Chen|
|JFMO-EM||James Hummel (proxy for Wiley Howell)|
|Woolpert||Kent Park (proxy for Rick Hammond)|
|Custom Meeting Planners||Jamie Schieber|
3. Approval of Minutes
April minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Donze, seconded by Hesser, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
- Adding Ortho-rectification
- QSI will deliver the following items:
- 4-band Ortho Images in GeoTIF format (.tif & .tfw) clipped to Quarter Quad grid in UTM 15 NAD83, meters (with overlap as indicted in the contract).
- County-wide mosaic ortho images in MrSid Mosaic format (.sid & .sdw) in UTM 15 NAD83, meters. Generation 3 and with a compress ratio that does not degrade the pixel clarity, similar to our NAIP process (with overlap as indicted in the contract).
Comment from Cook about the availability of newer or better DEMs for portions of the flight area.
- Naming Convention(s)
- GeoTifs UTM Tiles: Quarter Quad Name (e.g. 3709163_sw_15_rgb.tif)
- MrSid Mosaic(s): County Name (e.g. Clay.sid)
- QSI to review the available 1-meter LiDAR coverage and determine if it is feasible to use it in conjunction with the 10-meter DEM during the ortho rectification process. If the LiDAR data is used, QSI will notify the State and let them know where the LiDAR data was used (or will be used).
GIS Day I wanted to thank everyone for your help and participation at the GIS Day event. I was wanting much more but hope you were able to take away some positives from the experience.
There were some definite lessons learned for any future GIS Days at the Capitol:
- The 3rd floor looks like a better place to set-up exhibits
- Contact OA/Facilities Management (FMDC) very early January to get on the schedule. I started contacting them last November but they did not have the schedule for 2015 set-up yet and suggested trying in January. I contacted them late the first week of January but by then the 3rd floor was booked except for Fridays until early May.
- Check with FMDC often and make sure everything is written down on their schedule. I was told we would have set-up at 7:30am. The team that did the work were told 9:00am.
- Need to clarify the best part of the legislative session to have this type of event. Some felt it was better early in the session, others said later in the session. Tues, Wed or Thurs were given as the best days of the week for an event.
- Need to find out how much space is available on the 3rd floor and if food can be available there. I have received varying input.
Again, thanks for all your effort!
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell
- MSDIS Servers: The primary web server is now MSDISWeb-TC-P. MSDISWeb-NN is out of the line-up and in the process of “virtualization” by MU DOIT. We are expecting the server to be turned back to us any day now for app and data loading – then extensive testing prior to its going back online. Thursday (May 14th) Web-MST will not be available as a backup server for a short period due to the attachment of two storage arrays expanding Web-MST’s storage capabilities.
Although MSDIS continues to evolve – with the completion of this “virtualization” we will finally be up on the new servers across the board – with up-to-date software and plenty of disk space (at least for now!).
Thank you all – for your bearing with us over the long process of virtualizing all three servers and bringing their OS and app software up to date. It has truly been a valuable learning experience for the MSDIS staff.
- We continue to tweak the new “ClipnDownload” GDB on the offline Web-MST server.
- The 2007-2009 2’ Imagery into the GeoPortal:
Austin Gauthier reports: Currently, 1,246 files are ready for publishing in the Portal. There are 49 files are left to process. There are also a handful of problem files that I am working through right now – put that number at 10-15. Still on schedule to publish the files by the end of May.
As a reminder, Austin leaves us for a work-study program in Jordan.
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
FY16 budget: review of expenses in recent years. Review of budget requests for FY16. Discussion about coming up with additional ideas, growing a bad conference rainy day fund, beginning a scholarship, and other smaller ideas. Cook collected names of those interested in attending a budgeting meeting and will send out a Doodle poll to coordinate a day and time.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Michael Gawedzinski representing US ACE St. Louis has received his membership letter from the CIO. Many members’ terms are expiring at the end of June; contact Spicci if your term is expiring and you do not wish to renew your term.
4.5 By-laws — Tony Spicci
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Candidate Speeches and Voting — Amber Reynolds
Officer candidates read out: Johnson, Chair-elect; Cook, Treasurer; Drum, Secretary. Drum reported that Johnson, candidate for Chair-elect, has indicated in email that she may begin to have a regular conflict with the MGISAC meeting. Drum commented that may create an issue with her duties when she assumes the office of Chair in one year. Drum also commented that with Cook retiring in February, it may be useful to have Co-Treasurers to facilitate the transition. Motion from Spicci to delay voting for one month to resolve issues with candidates. Second from M. Duewell. Motion passes unanimously. Motion from Hesser to open the floor to anyone wishing to voice objections to Reynolds acting as Chair in June even though she has left employment at Jackson County, seconded by Gerike. Motion passes unanimously. No objections raised.
5.2 Geospatial Data Act — Amber Reynolds
No new information except that Cook expressed the need for the letter to state abstention by Federal members.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Liz Cook
Missouri 3DEP Broad Agency Public Workshop 9:00 a.m.-noon June 3 meeting at the USDA NRCS Columbia office in the Parkade Plaza, room 232. Discussion about how to get OA staff registered as they cannot access Google Apps. Link to the registration form.
6.2 NG911 Addressing — Steve Marsh
6.3 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
6.4 Education — Shannon White
6.5 Outreach — Colin Duewell, Tim Donze
6.6 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Working on the FY16 budget
6.7 Policy and Legislation — Amber Reynolds
HB537 has passed out of committee. Committee needs a new chair.
6.8 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
Draft for review Real Soon Now.
6.9 Missouri GIS Conference — Mark Duewell
6.9.1 2017 Site Selection Contract — Mark Duewell
Agreement to hold the conference in the center of the state. Jamie says the final check for MOGISCON2015 is pending one bill clearing. The final accounting will be a check for $22,644.02.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
- There are cosponsors on the Geospatial Data Act, Ron Wyden, D-OR, and Dean Heller, R-NV.
- Chris Diller, NSGIC invited to the White House Mapathon next week, focusing on open and crowdsourced mapping (in Nepal).
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
Concentrating on Illinois BAA meeting next week. Will work on problems accessing registration form.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
MMA Report – MMA Conference Registration is open; conference is July 28-31. Web site has all of the info.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
9. Round table Discussion
Spicci: Conservation hiring spatial information manager in the Forestry division. Posted on the web site.
Reynolds: thank you very much for supporting me and for letting this Kansan be part of the group.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, June 11, 2015, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Central Region Office, Columbia, MO
Adjourned 11:12 a.m.