Minutes for November 12, 2015

Date: November 12, 2015
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:35 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Shelly Silch—telephone
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—excused
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—telephone
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—telephone
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Chair—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—telephone
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—telephone
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—telephone
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present (proxy for White)
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—telephone
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—telephone
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—telephone
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair-Elect—present
City of Lee's Summit Steve Marsh—present
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—telephone
MoRAP Diane True—telephone
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—telephone
Boone County Jason Warzinik—telephone
MU Extension Shannon White—excused
Other Attendees
Census Bureau Craig Best
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Jon Cole
OGI Arnold Williams

3. Approval of Minutes
October minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Johnson, seconded by Donze, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • Imagery Collection – The new project will collect aerial leaf-off imagery for the eastern half of the state. Aerial imagery timeframe is November-April, based on weather conditions.
    Update: The payments to the 6 mid-Missouri counties for their imagery are being processed. That should be completed in a few days.
    The PAQ responses for the northeast MO imagery collection have been reviewed. Once the scoring is completed we will provide information on the chosen vendor.
  • Director-GIS/CIO – Since I will be retiring as of 1/1/16 this position will need to be filled. Information has been forwarded to the CIO’s office for review.
    The CIO, Tim Robyn, has resigned effective 11/15/2015. Richard Kliethermes has been named as the new CIO. Rich has been serving as the Client Service Manager for DNR.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. MSDISWEB Virtual Servers update – the Primary is still on msdisweb-TC-S since July 1.
  2. MSDISIMAGERY servers update
    A series of speed/availability tests were run last month. They were designed to discover any differences in the speed/availability of services provided by the new MSDIS virtual servers to a specific state agency. They indicated that individual servers made little significant difference in the speed of the user consumed services. The agency had been experiencing occasional/inconsistent interruptions and slow downs.
  3. LiDAR data
    a. The St. Charles County data (LAS) is being delivered to Wash U. on November 10th – at the St. Louis User Group meeting – and will eventually be available to the public there. Liz Cook’s excellent county-level LiDAR DEMs – will also be delivered for the same reason.
    b. MSDIS has significantly increased the available storage space (added 20TB) of its imagery partitions – creating a single partition dedicated entirely to LiDAR as those holdings continue to grow exponentially.
  4. Geoportal – there are now 2,828 of Missouri’s most recent geo-data files in the MSDIS Portal – a slight up-tick…

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

Previous balance   $0.00
Expense SEMO Symposium Lunch $484.50
Expense Conference booth expenses [several]
Expense Large Missouri Map $1,960.00
Expense Conference site visits $1,006.24
Ending balance   $34,530.72

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No requests for membership. Several members are mildly or significantly in violation of the by-laws regarding attendance. Mention of reaching out to utilities. Discussion about whether people whose schedules frequently conflict with this meeting are the best representative from member organizations.
4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter
No by-laws changes submitted. Question about whether all members have to be reauthorized by the new CIO.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Rotating Committee Meetings — Melissa Johnson
Plan to have different committees sign up to meet on a rotating, as-needed basis after the full council meeting. Sign-up sheet passed around.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Liz Cook
Have the proposals in for flying Northeast Missouri leaf-off. Ratings and selection to follow. Not in a time crunch, fortunately, so the project is going well. Contract finalized for LiDAR. Will be able to fly nine counties, five in the west and four in the southeast. Will be flown by the Butler group. Warzinik: National address database survey out to counties. About ten counties have expressed interest. Will reach out personally to try to increase that number. Community TIGER program shows promise.
6.2 NG911 Addressing — Steve Marsh
Would like someone else to lead this committee. Discussion. Moving topic under Data Development for the time being.
6.3 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
No report. Question about how Eastwest Gateway is paying for data acquisition. Multiple programs mentioned; no one entirely certain.
6.4 Education — Shannon White
No report. Geography Awareness Week and GIS Day next week.
6.5 Outreach — Tim Donze
St. Louis GIS User Group meeting was well-attended, around 40 people. Looking to update curriculum for metadata presentation. Look for a new round of metadata workshops. Discussion about making the MGISAC slide deck more audience-friendly.
6.6 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Next up is the brochure to accompany the display. Display will be set up at the next meeting for everyone to see.
6.7 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison
No report.
6.8 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
Draft distributed and follow-up with committees that had not replied. Have responses from some of those committees. Will move NG911 topics to Data Development. Full draft next month.
6.9 Missouri GIS Conference — Melissa Johnson and Steve Marsh
Johnson and Marsh have agreed to be co-chairs. Discussion about contracting with Custom Meeting Planners through the University and whether we will have to go through a bid process.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Symposium planning well underway. Social event will include fireworks if a sponsor is found. NG911 workshop in Oklahoma last month; understand that it was very well attended but don’t have an exact number yet. Expecting a similar workshop closer to Omaha in the future. The two grants that were funded are close to completion and results will be posted on the web site.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • NSGIC conference last month was very successful. All presentations are posted on-line. Google documents also exist for many of the meetings. Chris Diller, WI, is now president. NSGIC is moving toward having an Executive Director, superseding the Washington liaison position.
  • Open Data Action Plan from FGDC email sent out which includes reference to the National Address Database. the NAD is NSGIC’s top priority in the coming year.
  • Revisions to the A130 statutory requirements coming. There will be an open review period; NSGIC may comment and other groups and individuals are invited to comment.
  • Geospatial Maturity Assessment from 46 states available on the NSGIC web site.
  • FSA looking at sub 1-meter imagery but not until 2017. Also improving access to NAIP. NSGIC continues to support NAIP and Imagery for the Nation. The OMB has referenced IftN and asked why it has not adopted. NAIP and the 133 City program work well and IftN can build on those.
  • Mid-year is in Annapolis and the Annual is in Indianapolis.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
New image NAIP service, all flights as an image stack. 99% sure there is a public face to it. Email Cook if you are interested. Plea for information: Dell PV1000 purchased 3 years ago, 15 2TB drives, configured with RAID 5. Write speed is extremely slow. Help! Do not expect my position to be rehired when I retire.
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
A draft of each State Summary of the USGS National Hydrography Data Requirements and Benefits Study (HRBS) has been sent out to all the State POCs. This provides each POC an opportunity to make any final edits before the Final Report is released.
The proposals for the Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for LiDAR Acquisition closed on Oct 23, 2015. Review and evaluation are taking place through November 27, 2015.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
No report.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole
Now officially the chair of the GIS committee at MSPS and plan to be at MGISAC on a regular basis. Trying to sort out what the responsibilities of the GIS committee will be. Marsh: does anyone know what the state of the Cadastral standard is? There was a lot of discussion and then nothing. Carter: we have some data from his office; surprisingly, even county boundaries move around by thousands of acres as better surveys are made.
9. Round table Discussion
White via Gerike: MGA has their own display board, doesn’t need the old MGISAC one.
Gerike: closed a position, have 25 applicants.
Drum: CNC router topographic map
Carter: new director, Patrick K. McKenna from New Hampshire
Howell: Anyone else using Explorer for Desktop? Need a middle ground for certain staff. Have a basemap but the labeling does not work well in Explorer. Looking for assistance. Drum: are you using dynamic labeling or annotations? Howell: dynamic.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, December 10, 2015, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:34 a.m.

Comments are closed.