Minutes for December 10, 2015

Date: December 10, 2015
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:42 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Shelly Silch—excused
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—present
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Chair—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—telephone
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—excused
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—telephone
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present (proxy for Gawedzinski)
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski—excused
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—telephone (proxy for White)
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair-Elect—excused
City of Lee's Summit Steve Marsh—telephone
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—telephone
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—telephone
MoRAP Diane True—telephone
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—telephone
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present (proxy for Johnson)
MU Extension Shannon White—excused
Other Attendees
Census Bureau Craig Best (telephone)
St. Louis County Lauren Voelker (telephone)
Quantum Spatial Bill Walker
OGI Arnold Williams

3. Approval of Minutes
November minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Donze, seconded by Cook, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
This is my final report to the Council. The new Director will begin reporting as of January 2016. Thanks to all MGISAC members for your dedication to the tasks at-hand over the last 4½ years that I have been in this position.

  • Imagery Collection
    • Invoices from the 6 mid-Missouri counties (Boone, Callaway, Cole, Cooper, Howard, and Moniteau) have been received. Payments are in process.
    • The PAQ process to select the vendor for the northeast Missouri imagery collection has been completed. Surdex will be providing this service.
    • QA/QC of 2015 Western Missouri aerial leaf-off imagery continues.
  • Director-GIS A job opening was posted on 12/4/15 and will close 12/11/15. We hope to have the Director-GIS position filled by 12/31/15.
  • DHSS Training Facility DHSS has a training room at their facility that ITSD-GIS uses to provide GIS training for DHSS staff. ITSD-GIS worked with DHSS to pick-up the maintenance on the ESRI software located at the DHSS training room. An MOA is being developed that will allow ITSD-GIS to provide GIS training to other state organization personnel.

Adair Co. imagery has been acquired and will be bought by the State at the end of FY15 or beginning of FY16.
Rich Kliethermes has been appointed the interim CIO and is interested in attending a future meeting.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. MSDISWEB/Imagery Virtual Servers update A clone image of both the primary Imagery and Web servers was created and archived. MSDIS and MU DOIT have agreed to regularly schedule this event. Images will also be accomplished after major changes.
  2. MSDIS presented a Metadata presentation at the St. Louis User Group meeting held at the East-West Gateway offices on November 10th. Attendance was very good (40+). The presentation is designed to remind people of the importance of metadata and as an announcement of upcoming regional metadata workshops early next spring.
  3. MSDIS presented to the children of Rockbridge Elementary School along with several other MGISAC members representing their agencies. The children seemed very interested in mapping and its applications. They were very well behaved (beyond all the excitement!).
  4. Geoportal There are now 2,828 of Missouri’s most recent geo-data files in the MSDIS Portal – a slight up-tick.
  5. Planning proceeds apace for the next MAGIC Clearinghouse Summit to be held in late summer early fall in Kansas, likely at Lawrence.

Added another 199 records to the NSGIC data inventory (formerly RAMONA).
Have been under cyberattack for the last four weeks and are taking appropriate countermeasures.
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

Income None $0.00
Expense St. Louis Users Group $75.46
Expense Cape Girardeau Symposium $79.09
Expense Custom Meeting Planners $1,000.00
Expense Springfield Blueprint $1,009.60
Ending balance   $34,382.41

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No changes. Cook mentioned that Tracy Wiggins will be taking over after Cook retires and will attend the January and February meetings with Cook.
4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter
No report
5. Project Updates/Action Items
None
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Liz Cook & Jason Warzinik
Cook cannot meet after the Council meeting today; Warzinik will lead the meeting. Contract awarded in the NE acquisition. Have been picking up counties for LiDAR, up to 14 now. Current status map on the MSDIS web site and flymoimagery. Warzinik: if any cities want to share address data with the Feds, contact him.
6.2 NG911 Addressing — Steve Marsh
Being subsumed by the Data Development committee.
6.3 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
No report
6.4 Education — Shannon White
Carter has been asked to speak at Jefferson City High School in mid-January. White is assisting.
6.5 Outreach — Tim Donze & Mark Duewell & Colin Duewell
Planning regional workshops including new ISO metadata standard. Chuck Lovelace in St. Louis is assisting with that topic.
6.6 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Expect a brochure for the display no later than MAGIC Symposium and possibly earlier for regional workshops. Have set up mogiscon2017 web site set up. Highlighting new renovations at Tan-Tar-A to adjust expectations.
6.7 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison
No report
6.8 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
Updates pending from Data Development and Education committees.
6.9 Missouri GIS Conference — Melissa Johnson & Steve Marsh
Meeting in January to form committees and select chairs. Feel free to volunteer ahead of time.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Registration is open for sponsors. Attendee registration will be open soon.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Geospatial act moving forward slowly. Will be a major topic for NSGIC and other organizations.
  • National Address Database (broad interest; accessible) and National Emergency Address Database (first responder interest; restricted). NSGIC working with First Responder groups, White House, GAO to address this issue. Hesser: Census Bureau has announced that there will not be large-scale address canvassing. Best: Census blocks with no changes will be the ones excluded from canvassing. Hesser: Community TIGER will always be a voluntary contribution.
  • FGDC Steering Committee has created a new 3D elevation steering committee. National elevation meeting at the Esri UC.
  • NSDI standards updates to government boundaries and vegetation.
  • New datum coming!
  • State caucus this week; notes will be distributed when they become available.
  • Briedwell: NSGIC/NOAA resiliency program to help communities use GIS to visualize past disasters. Also beginners guide to GIS data related to natural disasters.
  • Mid-year meeting coming up mid-February.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Soils data state mosaic and key attributes layer being made, but as the data is regularly updated, contact Cook for the latest version.
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
No report
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
No report
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole
No report
9. Round table Discussion
Balsman: inquiring about the status of the cadastral mapping standards. Spicci: Pratte said that the standards were submitted to the Governor’s office last March for review. Haven’t heard anything back since. Discussion.
Gordon: Modelbuilder class on January 20-22. May get into Python.
Howell: Experimenting with ArcGIS Pro. LiDAR to DEM plus draping 6″ imagery on top.
Spicci: Working on very high resolution (5cm, QL1 specification) LiDAR project with Woolpert, very small watershed, 20 to 40 thousand acres. Will do a leaf-off and leaf-on.
Gerike: Esri has selected a couple Missourians (Jefferson City, Northwest Missouri) for the T3G workshop.
Balsman: Looking for someone who knows HAZUS.
Warzinik: Postponing Data Development committee meeting.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, January 14, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 10:57 a.m.

Comments are closed.