Date: January 14, 2016
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:35 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewell—present|
|OA ITSD GIS||vacant—||State|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—present|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell—present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser—telephone|
|Missouri National Guard||Wiley Howell—present|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schloss—present|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci, Chair—present|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempf—telephone|
|Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources||Michael Weller—telephone||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison—absent|
|Sanborn Mapping||Brad Arshat—telephone|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman—absent|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present|
|MOREnet||David Drum, Secretary—present|
|US ACE St. Louis||Michael Gawedzinski—present|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike—present|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon—present|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung—telephone|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson, Chair-Elect—excused|
|City of Lee's Summit||Steve Marsh—present|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Kent Park—absent|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Resz—present|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner—absent|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik—present (proxy for Johnson)|
|MU Extension||Shannon White—present||Other Attendees|
|Census Bureau||Craig Best (telephone)|
|Esri||Joe Eckmann (telephone)|
|St. Louis County||Melisa McLean (telephone)|
|Quantum Spatial||Bill Walker (telephone)|
3. Approval of Minutes
December minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Cook, seconded by Marsh, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Arnold Williams
- Imagery Collection MO Northeast Ortho Kick-off Meeting 1/15/2016. Review of the Western half is coming along.
- Strategic Plan A draft of the ITSD-GIS (OGI) strategic plan was made available to the CIO.
- Director, GIS Interviews were conducted.
- DHSS Training Facility An MOA is being still being developed that will allow ITSD-GIS (OGI) to provide GIS training to other state organization personnel.
- State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) Activities The ITSD-GIS support for SEMA has been part of the activation in for flooding in the state.
- Department of Social Services (DSS) – Medicaid Provider Search The Medicaid Provider Search project is to develop an interactive map search utility for Medicaid Recipients in finding Medicaid Providers that meet their needs relevant to medical care type and proximity from recipient.
- Missouri Veterans Commission (MVC) Developing a online mapping application to help them analyze potential facility locations based on current and future Veteran county population data sets. MVC is reviewing product developed so far. They are very excited.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell
- MSDISWEB/Imagery Virtual Servers update – To realize a significant administrative cost savings, trim staff workloads, and create a designated development server MSDIS proposes to change its current server footprint. It will go from three actively administered physical server boxes (6 virtual partitions) to two active boxes and a development box for both Imagery and Web. Because the proposal is to move the third server box (TC-S) to Arts & Science's server room (where we incur no admin costs) there will be a savings of at least $130/month, possibly more. The retired TC-S box will become the next development server. The off-site server box at Rolla (MST) will continue as the backup for the primary box (TC-P).
- MSDIS is registered as an NFP for the 2016 MAGIC Symposium in Overland Park, KS. Several staff members will be teaching workshops and/or presenting. More details in the next report.
- Geoportal – there has been a healthy increase in the number of files available in the Portal from 2,828 to 2,853…
- New imagery from the St. Louis consortium (East-West Gateway etc.) will soon arrive at MSDI. Jenny Reiman has already given us a “heads up”.
- Taney County's latest data will be posted in the next few days.
Question from Cook about hard drive imagery services. MSDIS does receive, copy, and return hard drives. Demand for imagery has gone up
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
Motion from Gerike to sponsor the MAGIC Symposium at the $500 “E – Friends of MAGIC” level. Seconded by Donze. Motion passed unanimously.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Resz is leaving the City of Jefferson for Fayetteville, AR. There are open positions in GIS but no one to replace him at MGISAC yet. Cook is retiring next month and hopes to bring her MGISAC replacement next month.
4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter
Cross-checking bylaws against the new strategic plan for any conflicts.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Liz Cook & Jason Warzinik
Teleconference planned between now and the next meeting. Strategic plan will be discussed. Newton Co. has been added to the upcoming flight. The imagery status web site has been updated accordingly. Work on advertising the national address database effort. Signing up for the Census Community TIGER program. Hoping to get a web presentation of the Census program scheduled. Spicci: have been approved to make a request for funding to complete imagery in the southeast quarter of the state at an 18 or 24 inch specification. Discussion about how to increase buy-in and other funding sources.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Gerike: Wrapping up the survey. Starting to think about the next one.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
Committee has not met though there have been discussions. Three Missouri teachers/4-H staff have been accepted to Esri's Teachers Teaching Teachers GIS program. Call for Geography Bee volunteers.
6.4 Outreach — Tim Donze & Mark Duewell
Time to spin things up. Will send out a Doodle poll to schedule a teleconference.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Trying to start brochure development. Would like to have that by the MAGIC Symposium. Also working on resolving the analog/digital telephone issue. Old booth display seems to be worth about $100 on eBay.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison
No report. White mentioned that she had been contacted by someone from the State about the upcoming change in topic of the GeoTech camp to drones.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
Discussion about repetitive structure of document. Suggestion of moving some text into an Appendix. Individual committees will make a bylaws review and any changes to bylaws will be made over the next two months, at which time the plan will be finalized and adopted.
6.8 Missouri GIS Conference — Melissa Johnson & Steve Marsh
Need a program chair. Chairs will then meet to discuss conference.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Still looking for presentations. Need nominations (a paragraph) for Coordination, Service, and Innovation Awards prior to February meeting. MAGIC will again offer $500 per state to support registration and/or short course participation. Travel will not be covered this time.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
- Discussion with NENA, others about National Address Database vs the National Emergency Address Database, avoiding duplication of effort.
- [some items missed]
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Kudos to everyone who helped with flood imagery. We have several funding opportunities to support landowners with flood damage.
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
International Charter used for recent flooding. Who tasks it in Missouri? Has had a ton of imagery come in, has been difficult to process. Discussion about processing data.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole
Brewing issue: who can write land descriptions. Not related to GIS.
9. Round table Discussion
Gordon: still have seats available for their Modelbuilder class.
Howell: will have an open position in the spring suitable for a graduate.
Warzinik: HP plotter ink cartridges “expired” yesterday. Looking at workarounds.
White: 4-H National science experiment this year (October) is about drones.
Gerike: City of Columbia kick-off week to implement new enterprise work order system. GIS side is all tied to data we already have!
Drum: the Geography Bee is a lot of fun, consider volunteering. Also, ZIP codes are in no way related to state or federal representative boundaries, which are based on Census blocks, right? A: right.
Spicci: the USPS states categorically that ZIP Codes are not a geographic region.
Spicci: MDC engineering shop approved request to capture high-resolution (Q1 or Q0.5) LiDAR over conservation areas.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, February 11, 2016, 9:30 a.m., MDC Columbia Research Office, 3500 E Gans Rd, Columbia MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.