Minutes for September 14, 2023

Minutes for September 14, 2023

Call to order – 10:01am
Ex-Officio Members
MSDIS – Thomas Vought – p
OA ITSD/NSGIC – Tracy Schloss – pp
USGS – David Nail – p

State Members
MDA – Jacque Walters – p
Economic Development – Amelia AuBuchon – p
MDC – Tim Bixler – p
MOARNG – Kaleb Bauer – p
MoDOT – Colin Duewell – p

Cooperating Members
BCFPD – Jason Warzinik – p
City of Jefferson – Buster Schrage – p
Cole County – Melissa Johnson – pp
Mid-MO RPC – Jennifer Bowden – p
MO 911 Board – Brian Maydwell – p
MU Extension/CARES – Chris Barnett – pp
Sanborn – Brad Arshat – p
Surdex – Steve Kasten – p
GISCI – Tony Spicci – p
US ACE St. Louis – Michael Gawedzinski – p
USDA NRCS – Katie Philbrick – p
Washington University – Mollie Webb – p
Wilson & Co. – Derek Smith – p
Woolpert – Sam Moffat
City of Springfield – Nathan Huggins – p
City of Branson – Curtis Copeland – p

Other Attendees
Misty Perry
Raamin Burrell
Luke Finley
Brent Johnson – Greene County
Tara Vansell – Lindenwood University

Approval of Minutes – Motion made and seconded to accept the minutes from the August meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
MGISAC Administration
OGI Report – The state’s Master Purchase Agreement (MPA) is reviewed quarterly for product list (and pricing). Esri has an option to add new products this way. This is ongoing, notifications and review happening with OA Purchasing and Esri, but nothing officially signed. No price increases, since Esri did this a few months ago, and can’t again until a full year has passed. New list will be posted on missouribuys.mo.gov when it is completed. We will be able to add satellite and drones to this. We’ll need to section these out from photogrammetry, and make sure the specifications are appropriate for each kind. It’s also recommended that we come up with a different name, other than photogrammetric services, to be inclusive of these other collection types.
GIS Day – Open house, November 15 sponsored by OGI is shaping up. We have several good people who wanted to be in the showcase area. I think we have room for one more. Task Force One is bringing their mobile GIS unit and we’ll have it set up in the circle drive in back of the Truman building.
NSGIC elections – we’ll need to vote for a Chair-elect and Directors. A link for a digital survey form was sent out to voting members of MGISAC. Tony is asked to give his insights on the candidates. Per online voting the results are as follows:
*Vote* President Elect: Ken Nelson Board of Directors: Mark Yacucci, Leland Pierce, and Dennis Pederson.
Maturity Survey results are in and we got an A in coordination. Recognition plaque resented to Jennifer Bowden for her time as Chair, Secretary, and Conference chair. We also wish luck to Michael G on his next step as he takes a position in Texas. He’s spent upwards of 20 years participating in the council. US ACE will have a new person to step into his role on the council soon.
MSDIS Report – August 2023

Updated Data-
– MO Local Public Health Agency Districts
– MO Ambulatory Surgical Centers
– MO Dialysis Centers
– MO MoDOT Roads Routes
– MO MoDOT Commuter Lots
– MO MoDOT Emergency Reference Markers
– MO MoDOT Rest Areas
– MO MoDOT Roads Arcs

MSDIS General News-
The University of Missouri has officially kicked off the 2023 Fall Semester, which means that MSDIS once again has student help. Please help us welcome Morgan Hurt, who returns to us for her third and final semester with MSDIS, and Joshua Stender, who will be joining us for one semester. The MSDIS undergrad program had some very rocky beginnings given that we kicked off our first semester right as COVID set in, but we are really pleased with how it has begun to shape up. These students bring fresh eyes to old projects and a much needed well of creativity.
In operations news, we tried something slightly different with our deployment of August’s MoDOT updates. Rather than removing the old versions of the files from our ArcGIS Online account and posting fresh versions of the new files, we took advantage of the Update Data feature. As we understand it, exercising this option allows us to overwrite the previous instance of the file with the newer version. Our hope is that this will allows us to secure a more accurate count of the file usage over time.

MSDIS August 2023 Server Stats-
After discussion our server log analysis options with the Division of IT, we are still somewhat stuck. The university does not (currently) offer any kind of in-house analysis platform, so it seems like our best options are going to be purchasing a new copy of Sawmill or trying to wire Google Analytics into the Imagery Server. We have previously attempted to integrated Google into the MSDIS Hub site with mixed results, so we aren’t thrilled with that option, but it is certainly worth another try.
While we decide what to do, we have pulled a small sample of numbers directly from ArcGIS Server Manager. You will notice that the numbers listed below are quite a bit smaller than the numbers reported via Sawmill. Please do not interpret that fact as an indication that MSDIS is not being used as much as it was a year ago. The numbers listed here are a much more simplistic assessment of the server. For example, Total Request is one of the only three metrics we can parse using Server Manager. We have no means of reporting how many users visited the server or for how long they were actively connected. In other words, the following numbers are the best we can do right now to prove that, yes, people are still using MSDIS, but are a very incomplete assessment of that usage.
Treasurer’s Report – August expenditures on the account totaled $1,572.67, leaving a balance of $39,641.08. $1,500 was for NSGIC Membership dues. $72.67 was charged by the University of Missouri for “Full Costing Out”. According to the University, this is Institutional support is paid by major recharge operations, auxiliaries, University Hospital, and other revenue generating units for campus administrative and operational support functions provided by campus. The fee is slightly under 5% and charged based on the expenditures from the account ($1,500 in this case). We’ve not been charged this fee in the past, but we’ve also not had a balance this large in the recent past. It may be that we have crossed the threshold into ‘major’. Chris will follow up with the accounts management office when he returns from his conference to verify.
Anticipated September expenses include costs for support of the Southeast GIS Symposium. Up to $750 has already been allocated for this event.
Membership Report – No change
By Laws Report – Haven’t made the recent by laws changes just yet. Should see those online soon hopefully.
Committee Reports
Data Development: Tracy has placed several working documents in a new basecamp folder, which sent notifications to the usual people who participate in this committee. Aerial mapping contract possibly renaming to include drones and other stuff so it’s not so narrowly focused on photogrammetrics. Lidar talks in progress. QL0 Lidar for Boone/Columbia has been received. 1.85T of data will go to MSDIS soon. Surdex flew it.
Legislative – Veto override session complete. We’ll be sending out email to set meeting to discuss any changes to make before the bill gets resubmitted.
Outreach – This is a larger mixed group now. Have had one meeting so far. Tim leading currently. Outreach, Marketing and Communication. They have started a priority list. Chris does now have access to the site. Question about how other committees handle workshops. May have other committees coordinate their outreach through this committee. Need to see what social media we use.
NG911 – QC closed. 7500 tiles were reviewed. Shawn and Brian got sent the ones that were called out that were processed. Tiles will come first followed by county Mosaics. RFPs are closed. Qualified vendor list is closed and awards will go out soon. Evaluating the data management RFP now. Started talking about 2024 flight. Large area on that one. Need good weather. Tim will potentially talk flight at SEMO. Brian will cover NG911 stuff.
Education – Next meeting is October 10th. ESRI will demo Map maker. Doesn’t require any logins or downloads for educators to use.
Liaison Reports
MAGIC – Omaha 2024. Steve has changed positions. Several other GIS conferences the same week.
NSGIC – Annual conference September 24-29. Tracy will be Missouri’s delegate. Much more to report at the October meeting.
Cooperating Agencies
USGS – 3 Lidar projects active. 7 counties western. 3 southern, MO. Northern SEMO has 34 counties. It’s almost done. It’s been reviewed. Data collaboration announcement is now through USGS site instead of FedBiz site. Any questions reach out to David. Can do elevation EDH Hydro proposal. Any data that is 5+ years old can be sent as a proposal. It used to be 8 years old. Used to base funding on QL2 but can now base on QL1 as well. USGS does working with other agencies and they can cost share on projects up to 50%.
NRCS – Moving to county-by-county basis with data maybe best. Need to better coordinated going forward. They are interested in the hydrography project.
Adjourned – 11:31am

Comments are closed.