Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – October 9, 2003

Attendance

Members Present

Debbie Briedwell, DHSS
Stephen Daw, MMA
David Drum,MOREnet
Ray Fox, USGS
Tim Haithcoat, MSDIS
Jeff Haney, Revenue
Bobbie Koelling, DESE
Ryan Lanclos, MDA
JimLaScala, City of Liberty
Gary Mook, EWGCC
Jennifer Peterson, City Utilities of Springfield
Jeff Schloss,MoDNR
Tony Spicci, Conservation

Members Excused

Gary Beahan, Eco Dev
Michelle Carey (military duty)
Elizabeth Cook, USDA-NRCS
Greg Dorge, City of Jefferson
Kevin Kuhlmann, Village of Innsbrook
Arnold Williams,MoDOT

Members Absent

Ryan Burson, OA
Janet Duncan, Insurance
Jeff Falter, SEMA

Other Attendees

Don Martin, MSPS
Steve Marsh, Jackson County
Regina Meyer, MOARNG
Jo Ann Shaw, DNR
Michael Gawedzinski,EarthTech/Whiteman AFB
Dave Duffen, Whiteman AFB
Diane True,MoRAP
Tom Stokes, OIT
Frank Wideman, MU Extension, Perry County
Bill Pabst, MU 4-H
Mark Duewell, Private Citizen

Call to Order

Chair Tony Spicci called the meeting to order at 9:03 a.m. The meeting was held at the Credit Union, Missouri Department of Conservation, Jefferson City, Missouri.

Introductions

Call for Additions to agenda

None

Approval of Minutes

Approval ofSeptember minutes: motion by Gary Mook, seconded by Jeff Schloss, approved.

4-H plan for GIS/GPS by Bill Pabst and Frank Wideman

Missouri One Call Presentation – Bill Dexheimer – underground utility location service

Subcommittee Reports

By-Laws no chair

No report

Communications David Drum

No report

Data Development Jo Ann Shaw, Ray Fox

Plan to meet soon. Ray: try to actively engage other federal agencies in the state, get them involved in the whole process. Tony: trying to align DD subcommittee with homeland security and strategic plan. Architecture, standards, and enforcement discussion between JimLaScala, Tim Haithcoat, and Jeff Schloss. Jim pressing for need for adopted standards. Jim motioned to close review process on addressing standard. Discussion: Tim’s amendment: accept comments for 20 days, adopt at next meeting, make a real effort for other groups (MMA, for example) to look at the standard (i.e. last call for comments). Discussion. Ryan call to question, Jeff second. Voice vote carried, one against.

Education and Outreach Jim LaScala, Ryan Lanclos

Persons interested in participating on the committee please email him. No plans currently for GIS Day. Ryan: really want to promote education. Jeff Schloss: link to existing education web siites on subcommittee web page. Discussion, mostly about with which groups to place education information. Jim: please send him information on groups that give GIS training courses. Tim: rush something in the Capitol on GIS day, or plan for something in the spring.

GIS Architecture Tim Haithcoat

Tim: creating the GIT discipline report, a status card of where we’re working, draft out, tech areas: GIS, GPS, IMS, Geospatial, lots forthcoming. Does this committee want to see all of this information? Jim L: motion to send out, seconded, approved.

Homeland Security Mark Duewell, Tony Spicci

Next meeting 10/17 10 a.m. lower Osage conference room at MDC. Tim: GIS is going in as a core budget item for Homeland Security.

Nominations Tim Haithcoat

Tim: There are new people attending who would like to be members, will draft letters of recommendation for Jerry W.

Strategic Planning Tony Spicci

Tony stepping in for Mark Duewell. Letter sent out yesterday, next steps are to finalize changes and write annual work plan. Would like to approve work plan by December.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

No report

GIS Merit System PositionsJeff Schloss

Still accepting comments on class concepts document. Pointed out concerns in document as received from OA. Setting up a meeting for next week to meet with OA to work out problems. Discussion.

ITABJeff Falter

Jeff absent. No report

MACOGKevin Kuhlmann

Gary: in contact with Doug Hermes, sounded receptive.

MAGICTim Haithcoat

Next meeting 10/23 in KC, carpooling. Addressing workshops, remote sensing, workshops, sponsoring other events, symposium coming up in April. Tony: dial-up is available in lieu of attendance. State Mapping Workshop being held same time/place with MAGIC Symposium

MORAPDiane True

Last tech comm meeting discussed statewide land cover, few issues with LANDSAT bird, trouble finding cloud-free data, synoptic wetland modeling, urbanization, wetlands density.

MMAJennifer Peterson

Very successful conference 8/1, good turnout, same place next year 8/4-6/2004. MMA may expand role beyond property mapping.

MSPSDon Martin

Handouts

NSGICTony Spicci

Had annual meeting, see proceedings at web site under Hot Topics. NSGIC putting together a data inventory, probably funded by NOAA Coastal Services.

OITTom Stokes

Homeland Security GIS grant application being put together, expect Tom to contact several members.

Local Government GroupTim Haithcoat/Gary Mook

Tim: wants to talk with anyone interested in serving on local gov’t group. want good representation of groups.

State Mapping Office ProposalTim Haithcoat

Tim:Handout. Should MGISAC support a MPO? Jim: motion to move forward, seconded by Ryan, Debbie. passed.

MSDIS First Quarter Report and Financial ReportTim Haithcoat

First Quarter Report Handout;Financial Report Handout accepted by motion and vote.

MSDIS WorkplanTim Haithcoat

Handout

OIT ITAB Strategic Planning Meetingcall for participationTim Haithcoat

Strongly encouraged to attend 10/29 8:30 a.m. all day at Rickman Center, contact Mary Luebberts at 573-526-7746. It would be a good idea to take the MGISAC strat plan to this meeting.

GIT Expenditures/Revenue CaptureTim Haithcoat

Breakdown of funding sources to justify further expenditures. Legislature turnover provides an educational opportunity. Not all IT money is general revenue, some federal funds require matching funds. May not be possible to propose particular percentage cuts.

Round Table Discussion

Tony: NAIP compliance data in, better data on the way.
Bill Dexheimer: what legislation is on the way? Discussion.
Frank: has two projects of interest:MoWIN(watershed) video conference on 10/27 covering urbanization pressures, riparian corridor mgmt, navigatingMoWINsite. Labs in Jeff City and KC, with many smaller sites also. Registration form onMoWINsite.http://outreach.missouri.edu/mowin/ Comprehensive nutrient plan 10/29 in Perryville, other sites at other times, contact agricultural engineering at Mizzou or contact Frank by email.
Jen: City Utilities done writing strategic business plan for GIS, working on GIS selection and graphic work design, change management issues.
Debbie: contact Tracy Schloss with GIS issues until determination about Mark’s position is made.
Steve: Sunshine law and data distribution issues?
Jeff Haney: vague,HB388is the critical language.
Tim: homeland security also involved.
Tom: discussion coming up either 10/17 or 10/19.
Steve: is there or can there be fee added to recorder of deeds for GIS. Tim: up to county. Discussion.
Tim: hiring someone to take over day to day operations of MSDIS, job posting soon.
Jeff Schloss: MMGUG meeting announcement.
Mark Duewell: issues in front of us can be turned around to our advantage to promote GIS: education and outreach, homeland security, street centerlines.

Announcement of Next Meeting

November 13th at CECU Conference Room

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 1:06 p.m.

 


Comments are closed.