Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes January 8, 2004

Attendance

Members Present

Tim Haithcoat, MSDIS
Stephen Daw, MMA
Gary Mook, EWGCC
Bobbie Koelling, DESE
Greg Dorge, City of Jefferson
Jeff Haney, Revenue
Gary Beahan, Eco Dev
Tom Stokes, OIT
Ryan Lanclos, MDA
Tony Spicci, Conservation
Arnold Williams,MoDOT

Members Excused

Michelle Carey (military duty)
Jeff Falter, SEMA
Kevin Kuhlmann, Village of Innsbrook
JimLaScala, City of Liberty
Elizabeth Cook, USDA-NRCS
Jennifer Peterson, City Utilities of Springfield
Debbie Briedwell, DHSS
Ray Fox, USGS
David Drum,MOREnet
Jeff Schloss,MoDNR

Members Absent

Janet Duncan, Insurance

Other Attendees

Mark Duewell, MSDIS (proxy for JimLaScala)
Jeff Partridge, DHSS (proxy for Debbie Briedwell
Renee Berhorst,MoDNR(proxy for Jeff Schloss)
Diane True,MoRAP
Sonny Sanders, ESRI
Steve Marsh, Jackson County
Don Martin, MSPS
Cynthia Scheiner,MOREnet(proxy for David Drum)

Call to Order

Chair Tony Spicci called the meeting to order at 9:05 a.m. The meeting was held at the Runge Nature Center, Missouri Department of Conservation, Jefferson City, Missouri.

Introductions

Call for Additions to agenda

None

Approval of Minutes

Noted that Gerry Wethington’s name was spelled in correctly (should be a G). [Yes, I am terribly sorry about that.David]
Approval of Minutes: motion, second, and approved by vote.

Subcommittee Reports

By-Laws Jeff Falter

Jeff absent. Tony Spicci announced that the amended By-Laws were now posted on the web site. A discussion ensued of e-mail communication between Jeff Falter and Gerry Wethington concerning other proposed changes to the By-Laws. Issues include the following:

  • Should MSDIS/OIT be voting members?
  • Executive committee should not have over-ride if 75% of the body votes yes.
  • Should the Executive Committee be removed completely?
  • Should standing members hold office?
  • If a state GIS Coordinator is hired will be probably be ex-officio member.

It was determined that all of these issues could be handled by the By-Laws Committee. Gary Mook made a motion to let the committee handle this. Motion was seconded and approved by vote.

Communications David Drum

David absent. Cynthia Scheiner (proxy/MOREnet) stated that a new web page template has been created and is being reviewed by DMD (Digital Media Developers state agency webmasters) members for adherence to state portal guidelines. No one has responded to a second request to submit GIS data acquisition events so no event schedule page has been created.
A few people commented that they had not received the request and would like David to resend.

Data Development Jo Ann Shaw, Ray Fox

Both were absent, no report.

Education and Outreach Jim LaScala, Ryan Lanclos

Jim not present. Discussed upcoming GIS day at the Capitol have electricity and Internet connectivity. It was suggested to use this day as a vehicle to rally support for the Senate Bill for Assessors. State workers are not allowed to lobby so will respond back that this would not be appropriate. Have plenty of room for booths and it was requested that a list of people who have already signed up be available. Passed around list of organizations who will be there and will also send this in an e-mail. The booths will primarily highlighting the benefits of GIS to the state and local communities.

GIS Data Policy no chair

Tony stated that one or two people were needed to lead the effort on this and so far no volunteers had come forward. Some of the primary goals of this subcommittee based on Homeland Security recommendations are:

  • Identify critical data assets
  • Define parameters for data stewardship and responsibility within the context of other IT areas.

Tim Haithcoat volunteered to co-chair this committee but has too many other commitments to chair. Tony will appoint someone to chair if he does not receive an offer.
There is a need to raise the profile of this issue in the IT arena and involvement with local government would be good.

GIS Architecture Tim Haithcoat

GIT – Knowledge is changing governance. This expanded out of the GIT discipline.
IMS is currently evaluating 13 software packages
GIS Group is evaluating 4 or 5 packages. It was mentioned that there were problems with the GIS software survey that was sent around for evaluation. Problems existed with the attachment itself and instructions were not clear.
GPS – Ryan and Arnold
Standards (driven by MODOT) will focus on 3 things:

  • Centerlines (based on Arkansas standard)
  • Linear Reference System
  • Geodatabase Model
    • Roadway
    • Symbology

Homeland Security Mark Duewell, Tony Spicci

The subcommittee met in December. Data Policy Group Mission is to identify critical assets, data and to see what we currently have. Meetings are scheduled for the 3rd Friday of every month at 10am in the lower conference room. The next meeting is January 23rd.

Local Government Group Gary Mook

Meeting this afternoon to determine goals.

Nominations Tim Haithcoat

Following up on prior nominations. A few people have dropped off and we are trying to get more. National Guard are already members. Tony will send a reminder to ITAB.

Strategic Planning Tony Spicci

Tony recommended that everyone look at their work plan to see if their work is completed. There are five months left.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

No report.

GIS Merit System PositionsJeff Schloss

Jeff absent. Renee Berhorst present as proxy for Jeff Schloss. One person has been reclassified since the last report. New report appears below.

 

ITABJeff Falter

No report.

MACOGKevin Kuhlmann

No report.

MAGICTim Haithcoat

Call out for people to present on projects, particularly work currently in progress. The preliminary program for the conference should be out next week and on-line registration should be available by then. This is also the State GIS conference. There will be a larger exhibition area, about 40 workshops including a GPS/ARCGIS training class. Have had outstanding response to the Exhibit area. Received lots of complaints last year so restructured the area. There will also be a USGS mapping workshop in conjunction with the conference.

MORAPDiane True

Nothing to report. Question concerning status of Landsat images. Most images in house to finish the state. These are from 2000. The few missing images could present quite a problem. New initiative for Landsat consistency, set on new satellite. Get rest of information from Tim concerning this.

MMAJennifer Peterson

No report. MAGIC presenters.

MSPSDon Martin

A legislative proposal concerning Civil Penalties for unauthorized surveying was presented to the State Legislature.

NSGICTony Spicci

Mid-year Conference in Reston, VA

OITTom Stokes

Discussion of GIS County Assessors Project.

MSDISTim Haithcoat

Passed around copy of Budget and Activity Report.
Main web site has issues. Keyword search is broken (Google search tool). Site is close to being finished and want people to continue giving feedback. This was a very big project involving lots of changes to servers, storage space, etc. On the main page is a link for comments. There is also a survey to help establish a baseline of information about the customers. This will help with long range planning and will probably be done on an annual basis. So far there have been lots of positive comments about the website.
Renee: question about survey concerning licensing.
Spatial Asset Inventory
Focus on local government in near future. Lots of Initiatives that MSDIS could provide assistance with. All go through the local government subcommittee.

Round Table Discussion

Anyone working with the Secretary of State on the Master Address System for 2006? The State knows what needs to be done but doesnt know how to do it. Some business partners have worked for the state agencies in the past.
Renee:MoDNRreleased 12 new GIS datasets to MSDIS and will release more in the next few months.
Diane: Anyone have SDE? Answers: Boone County,MoDNR, DHSS
Arnold: Maintenance week of 19th. Major streets have been added. If you want copies send Arnold a note.
MSDIS – Grants
Proposal to NASA – RS architecture, NASCIO funding as will for architecture. Housing and Urban Development Grant.
Tony: Outreach and education focus for near future. Out in the field a lot interacting with people.

Announcement of Next Meeting

Change from Feb. 12th due to Holiday. Voted on the19th as alternative date. Tony will verify the location of the next meeting.

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn by Mark Duewell, seconded by Steve Marsh. Meeting adjourned.

 

 

Comments are closed.