Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – February 9, 2006

Department of Conservation – Credit Union Building – 9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:10 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Ryan Lanclospresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Jeff FalterChairpresent
Bobbie Sue Koellingpresent
Melissa Lanclospresent
Terry Libbertpresent
Eric Manessabsent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciVice-chairexcused
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookabsent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxexcused
Michael Gawedzinskiexcused
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam Kelrickpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannpresent
JimLaScalapresent
Steve Marshexcused
Gary Mookexcused
Greg Reszpresent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Lindell Bates
Mark Duewell

Local Government Presentation

Skipped: Tony S not available to facilitate Internet access

State GIO DiscussionRyan Lanclos

ESRI Contract

Sonny Sanders no longer with ESRI. Met with ESRI and discussed goals. Proposal letter arriving soon. Arnold W asked if our comments were included with the letter. Ryan L answered that we have not seen the letter yet (therefore have no comments yet). OA Purchasing working to renew existing contract.

Homeland Security Advisory Council

Made GIS presentation to HSAC. MGISAC now a working group for HSAC for GIS. HSAC also has Earthquake, Asset Management, Ingress/Egress Routes, and Hospitals Working Groups (list may be incomplete). State Employees may volunteer for the SEMA Operations Center GIS team. March 1 demonstration of Operations Center.

Miscellaneous

State GIS Coordinators meeting on February 21 from 10-Noon.

New Imagery for the Nation document out and available from theNSGIC web site. Would like to have a decision at the March 9 meeting for the committee to write a letter of support for the proposal or detail concerns.

Potential dates for GIS Day at the Capitol: March 9 (conflicts with MGISAC meeting date), March 30 (would share rotunda with choir group), April 13 (conflicts with MGISAC meeting date), April 20, May 2. Would like to pick a date by the end of this week. Discussion. April 13 selected with May 2 as backup.

MAGIC Initiatives: awards voting will take place by state; vote by March 9. Explanation of awards process by Mark D. MAGIC offering travel grants to local governments; applications due by February 28.

Approval of the Minutes

January minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve by Jim L, seconded by Arnold W, approved by vote.

Subcommittee Reports

By-laws – Jeff Falter

Changes from last month read. Motion to approve by Jeff S, seconded by David D, approved by vote.

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

National Hydrography Dataset meeting on February 6. Forest Service, DNR, GIO, USGS, others met. USGS adding small ponds and point features to the 24K dataset. USGS hoping to have nationwide NHD done by the end of September. NHD-plus introduced; training in March in Lawrence, KS. Planning to have a hands-on technical session in Rolla on NHD March 20 or 21. Discuss different toolsets and have Forest Service and DNR in attendance. Hope to add the Park Service, EPA, Conservation, Fish and Wildlife, etc. at April meeting. Tim H matching NHD to match latest imagery. Jeff S: survey still up111 replies, 84 interested in partnering, 64 interested in partnering LIDAR. Meeting February 14 from 10-Noon at DNR Elm St. facility, Taum Sauk room. Pam K: have you received a survey from the Northeast RPC? Jeff S: have a summary of responders right here (paper). Arnold W: Surdex is back on MODOT’s “good” list.

GIS Data Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

No Report

GIT ArchitectureTim Haithcoat

No Report

Homeland SecurityTim Haithcoat

Tom Moore asked Tim H to help write proposals, especially St. Louis and Kansas City. There is now a separate initiative called “resource and asset inventory”. The state has fifteen “investments” they can put in for grants. Some for St. Louis and Kansas City. The Department of Homeland Security wants to see if state proposals are in sync. Overarching goals: regionalization, NIMS, NIP (infrastructure protection) have to appear in each investment. Detail of investments. Each has an inventory component, so that was split out as its own initiative. Explanation. Will send out draft document for committee for development. Submitting February 24. Question from Pam K if money stops at state agencies or if it comes down to locals. More explanation. Jeff F: previously states each got $40M. Now states are competing against each other. Inventory idea very high (#2) on funding priority. Lots more explanation. Discussion.

Local Government GroupSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

Greg R: will try to meet quickly after main meeting. Attended Mid-Missouri RPC meeting; saw the LG survey.

NominationsTerry Libbert

No Report

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Sent out three requests in email. Will meet today after Local Government. Jeff F: asked for proposed subcommittee structure by March meeting. Pam K: local, state, regional mapping workshop proposal.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Will incorporate our work into the Strategic Plan Work Plan. Bobbie Sue K creating new brochure; David D creating new booth. Shortened MSDIS section for brochure; would like to replace with subcommittees. Discussion. Ryan L: printing costs: 8.5×11 tri-fold, full-color, full-bleed glossy: 500 copies for $417, 1000 copies for $795. Motion from Jeff S to order 500 unless University pricing is less. Second Pam K. Discussion about quantity. Motion passed by vote. Mark D: need to have calendar of upcoming events on the web site. Mission and Vision draft up for review; closing out review at the end of the month. Overlap between O&E and Local Government: Mark D sent out delineation document; not finalized. Immediate goals: brochure, booth. Mini-conferences almost ready to move forward. Greg R question about status of addressing standard. Standard has been approved.

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci

Conference chairs should follow their MAGIC Symposium counterparts around in April. Jim L asked for MAGIC Symposium vendors list.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No Report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

No Report

MACOGDoug Hermes

No Report

MAGICTim Haithcoat

Everyone should have a preliminary program. Discussion. Next MAGIC meeting March 23 at 9:30 in Kansas City.

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMA

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

No Report

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Progress making new data available. Attended web training for RAMONA. Recommending getting data into RAMONA. Beta testing continues until February 17. Seemo.gisinventory.net. Not sure when Geospatial One Stop incorporation will happen. Homeland Security grants work.

MAGIC Sponsorship RegistrationsDecide how to use

How to assign two free registrations? Could use same template for MAGIC Local Government grants. Jim L would like to see interested LG people. Mark D would like to have them go to people who will staff the booth or at least set it up. Discussion. Ryan L will send grant application to Jeff F to send out. Jeff S suggestion to give to active MGISAC members and/or those who participated in the 2005 Missouri GIS Conference. Ryan L: this is somewhat covered in the grant application. Discussion.

Round Table Discussionall

Ryan L: dates of upcoming meetings/announcements
Kevin K: asked Jeff S for info on NHD meeting
Mark D: ditto
Jeff S: 24K county boundary layer has problems. Working with Arnold W to fix. Discussion.
Jim L: Northland GIS group met yesterday. Issue ofRPCsnot passing information down to locals.
Mark D: haveRPCssend someone to MGISAC; has fallen through twice

Announcement of next meeting

March 9, 2006 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:47 a.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.