Minutes for March 10, 2016

Date: March 10, 2016
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:33 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Shelly Silch—present
OA ITSD GIS vacant—
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—excused
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—telephone
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—telephone
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Chair—present
OA-ITSD Revenue vacant—
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—telephone
USDA-NRCS vacant—
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—excused
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—telephone (proxy for White)
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—telephone
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—telephone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair-Elect—present
City of Lee's Summit Steve Marsh—present
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—telephone
City of Jefferson vacant—
MoRAP Diane True—absent
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—present
Boone County Jason Warzinik, Treasurer—present
MU Extension Shannon White—excused
Other Attendees
OGI Arnold Williams (telephone)
MSPS Jon Cole

3. Approval of Minutes
February minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Schloss, seconded by Carter, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Arnold Williams

  • I continue to receive weekly calls from Surdex (Loran Chick) giving me updates. No flights are planned for this week due to rain. Completed flight lines of the project can be seen at: 
    http://www.flymoimagery.com/orthophotography/
  • Quantum is in the process of fixing problems that were deemed approved but short of re-flying. He asked if I wanted the re-flight of April 22 flight lines. I told him yes. Initial data should be shipped this week.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. MSDISWEB/Imagery Virtual Servers update – All Mizzou services currently located at MS&T (Rolla) are being relocated to the new Disaster Recovery location at UMKC. We do not have a target date yet for these changes. We will be meeting sometime in the future with DOIT staff to discuss impacts on the MSDIS servers.
  2. The GRC/MSDIS will be moving to a permanent new location at Mizzou North (old Ellis Fischel facility next to US 70 and very near the USDA offices in the Parkade Center). The move will likely take place in mid-April. Stewart Hall (the GRC’s current location) will be renovated, but the allocation of space within the renovated building under current plans will be problematic for projects that GRC/MSDIS have been pursuing, so the determination has been made to make the move permanent.
  3. MSDIS is registered as an NFP for the 2016 MAGIC Symposium in Overland Park, KS. Several staff members will be teaching workshops and/or presenting. Tim Haithcoat and Mark Duewell are both scheduled as workshop instructors and presenters.
  4. Geoportal – Clip & Download – an increase in the number of files available in the Portal C&D from 2,853 to 2,859.
  5. The new imagery from the St. Louis consortium (East-West Gateway etc.) will go up as soon as we clear some deadlines for the Harris Project.
  6. Taney County’s latest data is now posted.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Jason Warzinik

Previous balance   $33,882.41
Income None $0.00
Expense None $0.00
Ending balance   $33,882.41

Outstanding bills: $500 to MAGIC Symposium sponsorship, retirement cake $32.99, Dream Host $119.40
Discussion regarding document sharing
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
There are 4 membership openings: OGI – GIS Manager and Revenue, NRCS, Jefferson City
4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter
Discussion of Treasurer’s budgeting being a two year budget for 6.6C. Possible change for next month.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 MAGIC Grants — Tony Spicci
MAGIC Grant nomination discussion to cover registration cost for potential attendees. We have until the 28th for nominations.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik
LiDAR:

  • Boone Co .7m 2015 LiDAR has been delivered to MSDIS and NRCS with mosaics like Liz use to make
  • NRCS MO LiDAR is near completely flown. Finishing up the flight in the Southeast. Western QL3 includes Johnson, Pettis, Henry, Bates, Benton, St. Clair, Cedar, Dade, Lawrence and Newton. Southeast QL2 includes Ripley, Butler, Wayne and Bollinger.
  • Marketing & Communications will work on a MO LiDAR Guide Sheet to share new LiDAR availability with locals.
  • NRCS is working on AOIs for the next LiDAR project, April 15th deadline.
  • 2016 BAA awards are out, 21 projects.
  • SEMA LiDAR is being collected on a watershed level in Christian County. SEMA also developing AOIs for future collaboration in Miller, Maries, Phelps, Reynolds, Iron & Carter.

Imagery:

  • Western MO Imagery QC is complete. The final full tile and mosaic products being delivered soon. Reflights of ~580 sq miles will occur this flight season.
  • Eastern Imagery collection has begun, ~15% complete and waiting on weather
  • STL Imagery Project is kicked off and waiting on weather. 16 partners this year.
  • MARC Imagery is ~75% collected
  • Marketing & Communications will work on a MO Imagery Guide Sheet to share new LiDAR availability with locals.
  • Warzinik & Boone Co is working with the National Address Dbase efforts.
  • NG 911 has not had much activity. Warzinik went to the NACO conference; it has some GIS attendance and involvement. NACO is providing support for 3DEP and National Address Dbase. Warzinik is a liaison between NACO and the NG 911 community.

6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Next meeting coming soon.
6.3 Education — Shannon White

  1. Missouri Geographic Bee is Friday, April 1 we are still in need of volunteers at the event.  They should contact Tim Hill, Bee Coordinator at Timothyhill72@hotmail.com to volunteer.  I will need a few helpers as well on the big giant map of Missouri which will also be at the Bee.  It is being held on MU’s campus in Columbia and for volunteers is a late morning to late afternoon time frame that we need.
  2. Shannon was able to have a booth at the State Social Studies conference to recruit teacher for interest in GIS statewide license and GIS training.
  3. If anyone wants to host or attend a BioBlitz in May (around the 21st of May).  This is a citizen science project that allows users upload flora/fauna observations during a set period of time and this year we are using iNaturalist (iNaturalist.com) so that includes a GIS component.  If you are interested in hosting a Bioblitz, helping a school or youth group with a Bioblitz somewhere in the state email mga@missouri.edu and we will get you further information.
  4. This year’s Summers@ Missouri camp is GeoTech: Drones.  This year we are focusing on UAS/UAV technology.  It will be held in July from the 17-21. More information on youth registration will be found at: http://4h.missouri.edu/summersmizzou. If you are interested in helping out that week with any planning or volunteering on any day of the camp please email Shannon at mga@missouri.edu with a subject line of GeoTech (my MGA staff will get that info to me).

6.4 Outreach — Mark Duewell
Conference Call tomorrow to start the next workshop planning: Metadata workshop in STL area in late spring or early summer. Date TBD. We received evaluations back from SEMO GIS Workshop last September with positive feedback.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Need support for booth at MAGIC. Several offered to assist. A draft brochure will be coming soon for all to review.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison
Discussions continue about a letter regarding HB1956. Final input to Aaron soon as the draft letter will be completed in the next couple weeks. Per last month: HB1956 is related to geographic records. It is geared toward CAMA systems. Some mention of restricting/licensing GIS data. Warzinik: we too are concerned about the language in that bill. Spicci: we need to draft a letter for the committee to send to legislators. Haithcoat, Warzinik, Gerike, Spicci volunteered to help Addison.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
No Report
6.8 Missouri GIS Conference — Steve Marsh and Melissa Johnson
Committee chair meeting next Wednesday. Need more chairperson volunteers.
6.9 Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell
Committee meeting coming soon. We have had an after action review with the involved agencies and the report is out for review to them. There are several follow up items in this report that the new committee will be helpful with.
6.10 MGISAC Service Recognition — Tim Donze
Our newly created committee currently has 5 members: Jason Warzinik, Melissa Johnson, Mark Duewell, Tim Donze and Tony Spicci. A draft set of guidelines is being reviewed by the group.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Registration is open, please register! Register for short courses. Conference is coming fast. Still a few slots open for presenters. There will be fireworks!
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Midyear meeting last month in Annapolis. Had breakout sessions on transportation, elevation and addressing
  • Only presentation without slides was the drone presentation. All other presentations available.
  • Executive Director position posted recently. This is new full time position and a new management structure going into place.
  • Discussions continue with NENA on the NAD as it relates to NG 911
  • FEMA changing risk map program. NSGIC supporting the changes.
  • Survey for AAGS regarding a national geodetic certification program. Cole: New datum coming out soon. Minor update to spheroid. Minor effect on Missouri. It will be a more accurate model that will hopefully not change as frequently.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS
No Report
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
MO-AR LiDAR data continues through the QC process, more counties have now been accepted. BAA announcements are coming as well as the reports from the Geiger / Photon LiDAR testing.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
No report
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole
No report
9. Round table Discussion
Carter: Roadway service data coming soon. New Hwy map coming in late Sept. There was a good emergency preparedness call last week.
Howell: ESRI Federal highlights: 10.5 coming this year, Jack spoke twice, the drone to map demo was impressive. DHS said HSIP Freedom is now HIFLD.
Lincoln students are very involved with the Guard, but the GIS program at Lincoln is dropping.
Mark Duewell: KS Medical Counter Measures has requested for a cyber security speaker.
Spicci: Be fire aware, fire risk has been high. Phillip Marley’s position will be posted soon; GIS specialist / programming. Support your local cheerleaders, Tolton cheers this afternoon.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, April 14, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:22 a.m.
Motion to adjourn by Marsh, seconded by Johnson, approved by vote.

Comments are closed.