Minutes for August 11, 2022

Minutes for August 11, 2022

1. Call to Order – Chair

The meeting was called to order at 10:01 am, MDC Credit Union, 2915 W. Truman Blvd, Jefferson City, Missouri. (also by Zoom).

2. Welcome and Introductions / Roll Call / Proxies – Secretary

Misty Perry stated that there were 20 Voting Members in attendance, and that there were enough voting member attendees to have a quorum (17).

Ex-Officio Members
Thomas Vought – MSDIS – p
Tony Spicci – NSGIC Liaison – a
Tracy Schloss – OA ITSD GIS – p
David Nail – USGS – p

State Members
Misty Perry – MDA – p
Jerry Prewett – DNR – a
VACANT – Economic Development – n/a
Tim Bixler – MDC – p
Wiley Howell – MOARNG – p
Colin Duewell – MoDOT – p
Matt Hesser – OA Planning – a
Brandon Wolfe – SEMA – p

Cooperating Members
Jason Warzinik – Boone County FPD – p
Nathan Mattox – Boone County – p
Dan Rose – City of Columbia – p
Buster Schrage – City of Jefferson – p
Stacey Roberts – KC MO Water – a
Steve Marsh – City of Lee’s Summit – p
Andy Wagner – City of Maryland Heights – a
Melissa Johnson – Cole County, MO – p
Richard Perkins – CPS – a
Jennifer Bowden – Mid-MO RPC – p
Brian Maydwell – MO 911 – a
Chris Barnett – MU Extension/CARES – p
Ming-Chih Hung – NW Missouri State – a
Brad Arshat – Sanborn – p
Jeremy Tanz – SEMO RPC – p (proxy by Nathan Mitchell)
Indi Braden – Southeast Missouri State University – a
Steve Kasten – Surdex– a
Michael Gawedzinski – USACE – p
Katie Philbrick – NRCS – a
Mollie Webb – Washington University – p
Derek Smith – Wilson & Co – a
Other Attendees (non-voting)
Joe Eckmann – ESRI, Craig Best – US Census, Nate Huggins – City of Springfield, Sam Moffat – Woolpert, Chuck Lovelace – St. Charles County, Shawn Penman – 911, Sarah Filkins, Jake Benson, Malloch.

3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – Chair

Motion to approve July minutes by Nathan Seconded by Tracy (with amendments – within MMA conference discussion, the word “imagery” had a typo).

4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 OGI Report – Tracy Schloss

Esri master purchase agreement for next fiscal year has the right to raise price of line items. It is a 36-page contract and it is hard to look up item by item. Advanced licenses went up considerable. Federal GSA contract went up to $11,000, up $2,000. We don’t really have a say. Contract is available on Mo Buys. We watch terms and conditions and there are terms that they can raise it with GSA.

4.2 MSDIS Report – Tom Vought

Not a lot to report. A lot of updated data for distribution. Replaced addresses for imagery server. Will release to general public before end of August. Probably sometime next week. Be on the lookout for that information. Intention at this point is to put the server on the same URL as the old one.
Humming along fine. Deep in the weeds on project with School of Medicine. A lot of fun, moving pieces. Quiet yet busy.

4.3 Treasurer’s Report – Chris Barnett
Balance $ 19,517.94.
One expense; $1500 NSGIC membership.

4.4 Membership Report – Wiley Howell (Kaleb Bauer)

one vacancy (Eco Dev membership), the membership list will soon be refreshed and sent out. Quorum 17. Broadband did hire someone and they are willing to join through 2023. There are some folks we will nominate for membership. Informal; attend a few meetings. We want them to know what they are signing up for. Demonstrating interest by participating. You do not have to be a member to participate in subcommittees.

We do need to have a process written down and add it to the website. (minimum is represented in the bylaws). For new people, that would clarify the process of how to participate and join. Help all of us remember how it works.

4.5 By-Laws Report – Colin Duewell
No pending changes to the by-laws.
– Issues with Quorum
– Section 6.1, 1st paragraph: Expected to attend meetings, notify chair if proxy or none. Side note: Courtesy to ‘cc’ the secretary.
Mentioned that the chair does not present items or minutes for vote, that someone else must do that. We will review the by-laws and proceed in that way. Many of us need a refresher.
5. Discussion Topics / Presentations
5.1 Presentations
Quite a bit of committee activity did not lend well to presentations this month but will resume soon.
6. Committee Reports
Committees document provided by Nathan Mattox. Available on Website. Will help new members find the committee they want to participate in. Refer to subcommittees descriptions.
Q: Does the Chair of a committee have to be a member?
A: This is up to the Chair. Would prefer to be a member but open to situations if someone is spirited and it is voluntary. We did not add to the by-laws.
Outreach: really need a chair: workshops etc. Really important to your organization.
Local: need chair
After Covid, we really need to make ourselves available to speak.
Dan Rose: Volunteer for Outreach Chair. Already creating a mid-Missouri user group with esri.
Membership: Wiley; secretary as ‘backstop’
A committee needs 1-2 people.
Strategic Planning- What do we want to do? Need a ‘Goal Document’. Dissolved? No one stepped up.
Became a meeting between past, present and future chairs (passing the torch). Reported back to the council at monthly meeting. Ask Chair what their vision is for their time. Makes sense for subcommittee’s chairs and previous, current, future chair to make up this committee.
Spell out in By-laws. Set our strategic plan. Executive representative is Chair Elect. Transition of goals from one to the next. Flesh out more in bylaws. Getting chairs for committees will help as well as updating website.

Should be strategic committee, needs to be a collaboration.
TB: OK with being point person. Starting a 5-year strategic plan for MDC. Could do one for the council at the same time. You’re the chair elect, you are the executive representative.
Education- Richard Perkins – Not his purpose. If someone else is willing to take that on. No vision or mission. Blank slate. Start Fresh. Grade school, high school and other levels. Coordinating info for students. Story Map. Traveling map to travel to schools. Sponsored by Geographic alliance: Doug Hurt.
Q: We thought outreach and education were same.
A: Outreach and education used to be one committee at one point. Suggested to include Local Government
NM: That is a big one for me to collapse. Could eventually be brought up in data development. Need to bring someone in that specializes in that.
Policy- Jeff Wann: Legislation: If you want Governor sponsorship, due date is Mid July of each year. For Legislature; due date by first or second week of February.
Service Recognition- doesn’t seem like a subcommittee. Was put together to make sure there was a ‘send-off’ for MGISAC member that were leaving service. To denote 10 years as officer, chair, etc. May need to be a one-person committee. Missed some big member departures.
Marketing and Communications- The website is run through the state. Jason: Posting minutes.
TS: Sometimes having more than one person to edit. Are there instructions? Tracy is asked every year if we need the MGISAC website.
JW: Access isn’t an issue. Content creation and management. Sub chairs update and pass on to Jason. A lot of stagnant information. The idea was bigger than that. Brochure, Display and social media presence. It’s a lot of work to be both producer and person to update. Everyone needs to provide content to Jason.
One volunteer to help Tim Callahan. Should have a form on the website. We used to have form for committee stuff.
Q: Used to refresh, wasn’t being updated as people left. Is membership still on there?
A: The membership directory is still on there. I created a template form to get a response back.
NM: Thank you for suffering through that. Hopefully that will give us some traction in these areas.

6.1 Data Development – Buster Schrage
Number of reviewed tiles went up 3100 tiles in one week. We appreciate the help. The Iron county person (volunteer) was really creative, the county name was written out with tiles. I’l send that out in the status report. We might save most interesting features found in the data. 50 volunteers. Reach out to Tim and Buster. Next Tuesday: QC Pow wow for volunteers. Need notes, with some details in Base Camp to archive/refer back to in future projects. QC guidelines and expectations would be good to have. Amazing coordination, we really appreciate all the help.
Deliverable to MSDIS in September. Sanborn area- then 11 more counties. MDC and Mid America Regional Council. They are doing QC, then review those to add to contract. Surdex sent a pilot area. Replied back with specifications. They are finalizing and then we will QC that data.
6.2 Education – Richard Perkins
6.3 Legislative – Tony Spicci
6.4 Outreach – Nathan Mattox
Outreach activities that are currently on the books
-Missouri Mappers Conference in Branson Missouri. Nathan Mattox, Tim Bixler, and Brian Maydwell to present on Missouri Statewide Initiatives and the Missouri GIS Advisory Council
-SEMO Annual Symposium in Cape Girardeau, September 14. Nathan Mattox presentation on current MGISAC and Statewide activities
NM: Current activities for the Chair present an expense. Would request there be consideration of reimbursement of the Chair for some travel related expense.
Question: MJ: how much would that be?
-Answer: NM: under $400
-‘Motion to allow reimbursement of travel expenses, not to exceed $400, for the Council Chair to attend and present at Missouri Mappers Conference and SEMO Annual GIS Symposium.’
-No opposition votes voiced
SEMO Annual Symposium support
-Discussion – Budgeted for support of this symposium at $400/year over 2 years. No Symposium last year, leaving $800 for this activity. SEMO RPC is requesting $600 sponsorship to cover the cost of a lunch for all attendees.
-‘Motion to support the SEMO Annual Symposium for the full requested amount of $600.’
-No opposition votes voiced
Wiley Howell: ‘Perhaps it is the long term government employee in me, but perhaps we should come up with a standard method for presenting and reimbursing travel related expenses for reimbursement.’

Conference Committee Report – Jennifer Bowden
Save the dates have been made, but they were made extremely small. Problem was with vendor and they are providing replacement stickers.
Discussion of the size of venue and how that will be divided up amongst workshops, vendors, large sessions

7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC- Steve Marsh
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council – Tony Spicci

8. Cooperating Agency / Organization Reports (Brief by Exception)
8.1 USGS – David Nail
– NRCS has announced funding to capture 7 identified counties in Missouri that are lacking QL2 LiDAR. No need for DNR to pay for that acquisition
8.2 NRCS – Katie Philbrick
8.3 Missouri Mappers Association –
8.4 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors – Jon Cole
8.5 Census – Craig Best
9. Open Discussion
Regarding state GIS conference and GIS day event: We need to target other state agencies through this. There is plenty of room for visitors. Auditorium holds 200 people. Some don’t come because of parking.
JE: Highway patrol is doing really interesting things.
TS: Good reminder, I need I reach out to them. It’s in November 1-3 or so.
JE: I would also suggest Homeland Security and DPS
10. Next Meeting: September 8th, 2022 10:00am at MDC Credit Union, 2915 W. Truman Blvd, Jefferson City, Missouri.
The meeting adjourned at 11:38 am

Comments are closed.