Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – January 9, 2003

Attendance

Members Present

Kevin Kulhmann, Boonslick Regional Planning Commission
Jeff Schloss, Department of Natural Resources
Arnold Williams, Department of Transportation
Elizabeth Cook, USDA-NRCS
Tony Spicci, Department of Conservation
Mark Duewell, Department of Health and Senior Services
Ray Fox, US Geological Survey
Tim Haithcoat, Missouri Spatial Data Information Service
Michelle Carey, City of Kansas City
Gary Mook, East/West Gateway
Janet Duncan, Department of Insurance
Steve Daw, Shafer, Kline and Warren
Jim Davis, Department of Mental Health
JimLaScala, City of Liberty

Others Present

Scott Russell, Surdex
Craig Molander, Surdex
Renee Holder, Department of Natural Resources
Diane True,MoRAP
Clayton Blodgett,MoRAP
Carl Kinkade, ESRI
Bob Norris, State Tax Commission
Joyce Hoffman, Northrop Grumman, TASC

Members Excused

Jennifer Peterson, City Utilities of Springfield (gave proxy to Renee Holder)
Jeff Falter, State Emergency Management Agency (gave proxy to Mark Duewell)

Members Not Present

Greg Dorge, City of Jefferson
David Drum,MOREnet
Ryan Burson, Office of Administration
Patti Martin, Department of Revenue
Don Yoest, Department of Agriculture
Gary Beahan, Department of Economic Development

Call to Order

Chair Tony Spicci called the meeting to order at 9:05 am in the Forest Room at the Runge Nature Center, Jefferson City, MO.

Approval of Minutes

TheDecember minutes were approved.

Subcommittee Reports

By-Laws Jim D.

Jeff S. noticed an error on the bylaws web page and will send changes to MSDIS.

Communications – Liz

Please make sure to copy Liz on communications, especially ones asking for MSDIS postings on the Web page.

Education and Outreach Jim L.

The committee will send representation to the 9-1-1 conference March 9, 2003, at Tan-Tar-A. MMA conference will be July 30-Aug. 1, 2003, at Lake Ozark, MO. Steve brought up having a state legislature GIS display. Tony will call Debbie Pitts, who had offered to help with such an event, to see if she is still interested.

Federal Initiatives – Ray

Ray discussed an inventory effort for data covering St. Louis and Kansas City. If you have data for those areas let Ray know.

GIS Merit System Positions – Jeff S.

Any agency that might hire from the positions should first determine how many are on the register and possibly ask to have them re-opened.

GIS Standards – Renee

Soils and DOQ standards were discussed at the December 13, 2002 meeting. The next meeting will be Jan 31, 2003, 9-12 am at the DNR Elm Street facility.

Homeland Security Mark

We are nearing completion of the plan. The next meeting is Jan. 17, 2003, at 1pm at MDC central office. MERGIS was drilled recently by SEMA. Mark participated. The drill was successful. MERGIS is now on the Internet and is available with a password. The criteria for granting passwords are being evaluated. Jim S. reported that the North Kansas City water supply was recently compromised, and a boil order was enacted. In a follow-up to the incident, it was exposed that most cities did not have digital information about their water system. The cities need money to develop digital data.

I-team Jo Ann

No report

Nominations – Tim

Tim offered membership to the State Tax Commission.

SMAC

The state has an opportunity to cost-share with USDA on 2003 mid-summer orthoimagery. It would cost the state about $850,000 to boost the coverage to complete the state and increase the resolution to 1 meter. A discussion will be held after this meeting for more details.

Strategic Planning

Mark said a meeting will be called soon and the plan is close to being finished.

State Architecture

An ITAB meeting will be held Jan. 29, 2003. Architecture will be discussed. When the agenda is available Tim will distribute it. We should have representation for the architecture discussion. The architecture template proposal was well received and will be piloted for Missouri.

Liaison Reports

MAGIC

Oklahoma will start participating. Arkansas received MAGIC money for an addressing conference. The next meeting is Jan. 23, 2003.

MACOG

No report

ITAB

No report

MMA

Jennifer Peterson is in charge of the program for the next conference (dates given above).

MML

No report

OIT

No report

Missouri 2003 GIS Conference Committees

Program Jim LaScala

We have 14 papers submitted. Renee Holder is preparing the preliminary program. We have Craig Neidig and Gerry Wethington confirmed as keynote speakers. Surdex will pursue getting a keynote speaker from NIMA. A discussion was held about having MSGISAC subcommittee reports at the conference. If we can not get a confirmed keynote about Homeland Security (NIMA, ASPRS, etc), we will give subcommittee reports. Renee needs any preliminary program material by January 16, 2003. Please send abstracts through MSDIS, not directly to the program people. There will be no cost break on registration for speakers.

Budget Tim Haithcoat

We need to post the registration fee on the Web soon.

Exhibitors Renee Holder

We have 9 exhibitors signed up. Lanyards were donated for the conference.

Publicity Steve Daw

Tony suggested that when the registration is available on the Web page to send out a mass email.

Posters Liz Cook

Two posters have been submitted. We have decided to use the wall of the exhibit center instead of poster boards for display. Tim will send Liz a list of people to solicit for posters.

Shortcourses Tim Haithcoat

Steve Daw will do a Mobile Computing shortcourse. Tim will do a remote sensing one. Liz will add some DOQ material to Tims remote sensing course. Tim and Arnold are working on the computer issues.

Social Liz Cook, Mark Duewell

Food has been selected with the hotel. We need to take the keynotes to dinner on Tuesday evening during the conference. Mark will look into a location.

Awards Michelle Carey

We currently have no award nominations. Michelle suggested the awards be publicized, such as by a mass email. Steve challenged the committee to submit nominations.

MSDIS Activities

Tim will have a quarterly report at the February meeting. Pages for the new MGISAC web site are being drafted and will be available by the February 13 meeting. An imagery review site will be up soon. Data are being moved intoArcSDE.

Round Table Discussion

The May meeting will be moved to May 15, 2003. Meetings will be moved to the Credit Union so that phone lines are available for dial-in. Steve brought up the issue of FOIA as it relates to GIS data. He thinks we should have a state position on the issue. Steve will form a discussion group for the issue. Carl Kinkade offered ESRI laptops for the conference or other times. Arnold wants feedback on theMoDOTroads data. Jim S. is hosting the Kansas City Arc Users Group meeting Jan. 14, 2003. Jim also requested having a MGISAC meeting in Kansas City soon. The Mid-West Great Lakes Arc Users Group meeting will held next be in Omaha, NE. The date will be announced soon.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 11:50 am. The next meeting isFebruary 13, 2003, at 9am. Location will be at the Conservation Employees Credit Union

 

 

Comments are closed.