Minutes for October 13, 2016

Date: October 13, 2016

Location: Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO

Time: 9:30 a.m.

Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:31 a.m.

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Tim Haithcoat—excused – Tom Vought present
USGS David Nail—Phone
OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—present
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell—excused
MoDOT Joe Carter— excused
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—Phone
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Past-chair—present, Proxy for Park
OA-ITSD Revenue
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller— excused
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—phone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—phone
Wilson & Co. Eric Cenovich—present
USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—present
Surdex Tim Donze, Treasurer—present
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski—phone
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—excused
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—absent
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—phone
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair—Proxy for Gerike, Carter, White
City of Lee Summit Steve Marsh—present
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—excused
City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—excused, Jill Proxy
MoRAP Diane True—phone
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—phone
Boone County Jason Warzinik, Chair-elect—present
MU Extension

St. Charles County

 

Shannon White—excused

Mark Duewell—phone

 

Other Attendees
 

Mark Twain National Forest

Mark Twain National Forest

Esri

 

Chanetta Boudoin – present

Melanie Hans – present

Joe Eckmann – phone

  1. Approval of Minutes

Motion to approve from Tony Spicci, seconded by Hesser, approved by vote. October minutes will be available on the web site.

 

  1. MGISAC Administration

4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

  • I will be attending NSGIC as Missouri’s representative.  I may regret having this designation, since apparently it means I have to stand up during roll call and talk a few minutes about Missouri GIS.  I’d like input from the group on what they’d like to showcase.
  • The imagery review is 80% complete.  We have been in conversation with the contract group to work out the details for the new contract.  We’re working with someone new, who originally wanted to either open it up to 10 vendors or alternately limit it to only one.  I visited with several people who were on the committee this last time, and all felt strongly that a short list was still the way to go.  10 is too many and one, too few.
  • Please share your Windows 10 upgrade pitfalls and issues.
    • More non-GIS issues per Melissa.

4.2 MSDIS report — Tom Vogt

  • New image service & Katy trail data this month
  • Executed plan to retire older primary machine in IT at Mizzou. Now running MST hardware in KC. Server will stay in KC. Testing and startup has gone well.
  • Construction at Mizzou north is mostly complete
  • Jason Hinson is moving on to work for the State

4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze

Previous balance   $32,000.01
Income      None        $0.00
Expenses SEMO GIS Symposium Lunch $     551.31
Ending balance   $31,448.70
     

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci

  • Mark Duewell’s appointment has gone through.
  • Membership page needs some updates, please review yours contact info.
  • Jason Hinson will be DOR representative

 

4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter

  • No Report
  1. Project Updates/Action Items

5.1 —N/A

 

  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik

  • Imagery (Tim/Tony): MO NAIP: MO DOQQ all shipped to APFO last week, CCM production is in final stages and will be there in next 7 days. Final image service is up and running.
  • MARC Imagery: Partners QC is complete, final corrections are being made now. Data will be delivered soon.
  • STL Imagery: Project is complete and data is being delivered to the partners.
  • STL LiDAR: Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District has submitted for a 3DEP grant for this coming season.
  • LiDAR(Marty): Final LiDAR data submissions for the following counties: QL2 Bollinger, Butler, Ripley and Wayne QL3: Bates Henry, Johnson, Pettis and Moniteau. Working with Tom at MSDIS to make sure all available LiDAR products are on the MoLiDAR site.
  • NG-911 (Buster): Attended the Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS) on September 13th at the Doubletree Hotel in Jefferson City. This was a forum open to the public. They went over the broad environmental impact for Missouri. The attached document were handouts they offered. There was not much detailed offered but I was told that once it is official maps of locations of impacted areas will be open to the public. Also in case you would like to know more about FirstNet and how it is designed to work the link below is a 6 minute video description of Frist Net for Ohio but is very similar to Missouri.
  • FirstNet Video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w94UCxI-QuE
  • MoNAD(Jason): City of Independence has been added to the Missouri’s National Address Database now includes 1.275 million points from 12 entities. Meeting with Matt Hesser and Tracy Schloss today to continue and expand effort and will be on the NAD discussion panel at NSGIC later this month.

 

6.2 Education — Shannon White

  • All, we are about a month away from GIS day and Geography. The Governor’s proclamation is in the Missouri Geographic Alliance office. We have received proclamations from 41 counties. We are adding them to the MGA website as they arrive in the office, that list can be found on the MGA GeoWeek page. Thanks to MGISAC for sharing the cost of postage/return postage with the Missouri Geographic Alliance.  I will bring all proclamations received at that time to the November meeting.
  • Looking forward- March 31, 2017 is the State Geographic Bee. Anyone interested in volunteering we will have giant maps that need volunteers to help run them and we also have positions as judges, moderators and timekeepers.
  • Please email mga@missouri.edu if you are interested and let us know what role you might be interested in playing that day. We are anticipating it being held in Columbia and we set up in the morning and the competition takes place that day until about 5pm.  We can help with travel, if needed.
  • If you know a school or homeschool group eligible (students are 4-8 grades) in your area interested in participating in the Geographic Bee the information is found at: http://nationalgeographic.org/bee. Deadline for early registration is in December and all school bees must be held by the February deadline. Principals, educators or homeschool group coordinators can send questions to mga@missouri.edu and we will get those to our Bee Coordinator, Tim Hill.

6.3 Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell

  • No report

 

6.4 Local Government — Melissa Johnson

  • No report

 

6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik

  • Working on Conference things

 

6.6 Missouri GIS Conference — Steve Marsh and Melissa Johnson

  •       Meeting to follow today. Workshops are the big focus with David’s departure
  •       Still need workshop ideas and instructors
  •       Whiley is working hard on the program
  •       Need idea for Keynote speakers
  •       MSDIS is working on updating laptops and planning logistics for delivery too Tan
  •       Tar A
  •       Nov 1 target to open registration
  •       Vendor registration open and will be announced soon

 

6.7 Next Generation 911 — Buster Schrage

  • No Report

 

6.8 Outreach — Tim Haithcoat, Tim Donze

  • SEMO GIS Symposium was a successful event with a full house and some interesting topics and demos.
  • Early planning is underway for another Metadata workshop

6.9 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison

  •       No report

 

6.10 Service Recognition — Tim Donze

  •       Showed our first recognition plaque

 

6.11 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike

  •       No Report

 

  1. Liaison Reports

7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh

  • Last weekend was the consortium planning retreat for the two your consortium vision and mission
  • The two year budget is another outcome of the meeting
  • Last year MAGIC gave 2 grants. This year 3 grants are being considered.
  • Budgeting for MAGIC to continue contributing to the State Conferences in the region
  • Conference last year revenue was down, but the under spent on the budget cycle
  • No 2018 Conference location yet. Site visits starting soon starting in Omaha and moving on to other sites from there

 

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Election to follow this report
  • NGDA moving forward. NSGIC pushing to move forward. Senate support exists, working on House. Hopeful passing during either this Congress or next. FGDC position strengthening along the way.
  • NGAC membership terms are ending and needing to continue State representation
  • National Parcel paper will be sent to the list serve. Renewed push for national cadaster. NextGen 911 ties in as well. COGO and Cy Smith are champions.
  • USDOT putting out report on national address database. Addresses are now an official Federal data layer FGDC. DOT and Census are stewards with pilot programs underway.
  • 3DEP is a key activity for NSGIC
  • GIS Inventory is continuing to move forward. Not a repository, its information about available GIS data and who the steward of the data is with their contact info. DHS continues to invest in the GIS Inventory.
  • Conference is in less than two weeks. Agenda is on-line. Addressing, Parcels and NextGen 911 will be key topics. Panel discussion includes GeoComm, DOT, NENA and others.
  • Motion by Marsh and seconded by Donze to submit our NSGIC ballot with Andrew Rowan for President-Elect as well as Cheryl Benjamin, Tony Spicci and Nathan Watermeier for the Board of Directors.
  1. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock

  • Taken possession of about a dozen new LiDAR counties, heading to MSDIS for their posting
  • FEMA might be collecting some data in the Southwest
  • Forest Service has contract for LiDAR with STL Corp to 1,313 sq miles of QL1 LiDAR data. Will hope to continue future year projects in National Forest. They are excited about future analysis on the data
  • Still waiting on a GIS Specialist job to be posted.

 

8.2 USGS — David Nail

  • 3DEP BAA deadline of 10/10, but will remain open
  • Kentucky also collecting LiDAR statewide in a 5 year program supporting a 1M DEM generally with some higher density data

 

 

8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True

  • Working on high resolution land cover in the EW Gateway region. First 1/3rd is now available from Jenny Reiman at EW Gateway.

 

8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson

  • Had 7 vendors at the conference with ~70 attendees. Hoping to continue growth trend.

 

8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole

  • No report. Surveyor’s conference is in process in St. Louis

 

  1. Round table Discussion
  • Spicci – EGIS is ramping up to the vision the organization has for it. Tim Bixler has been heading up the effort and has done a great job. Many new apps for internal use have been developed through aDate: October 13, 2016

    Location: Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO

    Time: 9:30 a.m.

    Agenda 1. Call to Order Meeting called to order at 9:31 a.m.

     

    1. Welcome and Introductions
    Ex-officio
    Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Tim Haithcoat—excused – Tom Vought present
    USGS David Nail—Phone
    OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—present
    State
    SEMA Debbie Briedwell—excused
    MoDOT Joe Carter— excused
    OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—Phone
    OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present
    Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—present
    OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services
    Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Past-chair—present, Proxy for Park
    OA-ITSD Revenue
    Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller— excused
    Cooperating
    Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
    Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—phone
    SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—phone
    Wilson & Co. Eric Cenovich—present
    USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—present
    Surdex Tim Donze, Treasurer—present
    US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski—phone
    City of Columbia Matt Gerike—excused
    Camden County Jennifer Gordon—absent
    Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—phone
    Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair—Proxy for Gerike, Carter, White
    City of Lee Summit Steve Marsh—present
    Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—excused
    City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—excused, Jill Proxy
    MoRAP Diane True—phone
    City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—phone
    Boone County Jason Warzinik, Chair-elect—present
    MU Extension

    St. Charles County

     

    Shannon White—excused

    Mark Duewell—phone

     

    Other Attendees
     

    Mark Twain National Forest

    Mark Twain National Forest

    Esri

     

    Chanetta Boudoin – present

    Melanie Hans – present

    Joe Eckmann – phone

    1. Approval of Minutes

    Motion to approve from Tony Spicci, seconded by Hesser, approved by vote. October minutes will be available on the web site.

     

    1. MGISAC Administration

    4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

    • I will be attending NSGIC as Missouri’s representative.  I may regret having this designation, since apparently it means I have to stand up during roll call and talk a few minutes about Missouri GIS.  I’d like input from the group on what they’d like to showcase.
    • The imagery review is 80% complete.  We have been in conversation with the contract group to work out the details for the new contract.  We’re working with someone new, who originally wanted to either open it up to 10 vendors or alternately limit it to only one.  I visited with several people who were on the committee this last time, and all felt strongly that a short list was still the way to go.  10 is too many and one, too few.
    • Please share your Windows 10 upgrade pitfalls and issues.
      • More non-GIS issues per Melissa.

    4.2 MSDIS report — Tom Vogt

    • New image service & Katy trail data this month
    • Executed plan to retire older primary machine in IT at Mizzou. Now running MST hardware in KC. Server will stay in KC. Testing and startup has gone well.
    • Construction at Mizzou north is mostly complete
    • Jason Hinson is moving on to work for the State

    4.3 Treasurer’s report — Tim Donze

    Previous balance   $32,000.01
    Income      None        $0.00
    Expenses SEMO GIS Symposium Lunch $     551.31
    Ending balance   $31,448.70
         

    4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci

    • Mark Duewell’s appointment has gone through.
    • Membership page needs some updates, please review yours contact info.
    • Jason Hinson will be DOR representative

     

    4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter

    • No Report
    1. Project Updates/Action Items

    5.1 —N/A

     

    1. Committee Reports

    6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik

    • Imagery (Tim/Tony): MO NAIP: MO DOQQ all shipped to APFO last week, CCM production is in final stages and will be there in next 7 days. Final image service is up and running.
    • MARC Imagery: Partners QC is complete, final corrections are being made now. Data will be delivered soon.
    • STL Imagery: Project is complete and data is being delivered to the partners.
    • STL LiDAR: Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District has submitted for a 3DEP grant for this coming season.
    • LiDAR(Marty): Final LiDAR data submissions for the following counties: QL2 Bollinger, Butler, Ripley and Wayne QL3: Bates Henry, Johnson, Pettis and Moniteau. Working with Tom at MSDIS to make sure all available LiDAR products are on the MoLiDAR site.
    • NG-911 (Buster): Attended the Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS) on September 13th at the Doubletree Hotel in Jefferson City. This was a forum open to the public. They went over the broad environmental impact for Missouri. The attached document were handouts they offered. There was not much detailed offered but I was told that once it is official maps of locations of impacted areas will be open to the public. Also in case you would like to know more about FirstNet and how it is designed to work the link below is a 6 minute video description of Frist Net for Ohio but is very similar to Missouri.
    • FirstNet Video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w94UCxI-QuE
    • MoNAD(Jason): City of Independence has been added to the Missouri’s National Address Database now includes 1.275 million points from 12 entities. Meeting with Matt Hesser and Tracy Schloss today to continue and expand effort and will be on the NAD discussion panel at NSGIC later this month.

     

    6.2 Education — Shannon White

    • All, we are about a month away from GIS day and Geography. The Governor’s proclamation is in the Missouri Geographic Alliance office. We have received proclamations from 41 counties. We are adding them to the MGA website as they arrive in the office, that list can be found on the MGA GeoWeek page. Thanks to MGISAC for sharing the cost of postage/return postage with the Missouri Geographic Alliance.  I will bring all proclamations received at that time to the November meeting.
    • Looking forward- March 31, 2017 is the State Geographic Bee. Anyone interested in volunteering we will have giant maps that need volunteers to help run them and we also have positions as judges, moderators and timekeepers.
    • Please email mga@missouri.edu if you are interested and let us know what role you might be interested in playing that day. We are anticipating it being held in Columbia and we set up in the morning and the competition takes place that day until about 5pm.  We can help with travel, if needed.
    • If you know a school or homeschool group eligible (students are 4-8 grades) in your area interested in participating in the Geographic Bee the information is found at: http://nationalgeographic.org/bee. Deadline for early registration is in December and all school bees must be held by the February deadline. Principals, educators or homeschool group coordinators can send questions to mga@missouri.edu and we will get those to our Bee Coordinator, Tim Hill.

    6.3 Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell

    • No report

     

    6.4 Local Government — Melissa Johnson

    • No report

     

    6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik

    • Working on Conference things

     

    6.6 Missouri GIS Conference — Steve Marsh and Melissa Johnson

    •       Meeting to follow today. Workshops are the big focus with David’s departure
    •       Still need workshop ideas and instructors
    •       Whiley is working hard on the program
    •       Need idea for Keynote speakers
    •       MSDIS is working on updating laptops and planning logistics for delivery too Tan
    •       Tar A
    •       Nov 1 target to open registration
    •       Vendor registration open and will be announced soon

     

    6.7 Next Generation 911 — Buster Schrage

    • No Report

     

    6.8 Outreach — Tim Haithcoat, Tim Donze

    • SEMO GIS Symposium was a successful event with a full house and some interesting topics and demos.
    • Early planning is underway for another Metadata workshop

    6.9 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison

    •       No report

     

    6.10 Service Recognition — Tim Donze

    •       Showed our first recognition plaque

     

    6.11 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike

    •       No Report

     

    1. Liaison Reports

    7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh

    • Last weekend was the consortium planning retreat for the two your consortium vision and mission
    • The two year budget is another outcome of the meeting
    • Last year MAGIC gave 2 grants. This year 3 grants are being considered.
    • Budgeting for MAGIC to continue contributing to the State Conferences in the region
    • Conference last year revenue was down, but the under spent on the budget cycle
    • No 2018 Conference location yet. Site visits starting soon starting in Omaha and moving on to other sites from there

     

    7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

    • Election to follow this report
    • NGDA moving forward. NSGIC pushing to move forward. Senate support exists, working on House. Hopeful passing during either this Congress or next. FGDC position strengthening along the way.
    • NGAC membership terms are ending and needing to continue State representation
    • National Parcel paper will be sent to the list serve. Renewed push for national cadaster. NextGen 911 ties in as well. COGO and Cy Smith are champions.
    • USDOT putting out report on national address database. Addresses are now an official Federal data layer FGDC. DOT and Census are stewards with pilot programs underway.
    • 3DEP is a key activity for NSGIC
    • GIS Inventory is continuing to move forward. Not a repository, its information about available GIS data and who the steward of the data is with their contact info. DHS continues to invest in the GIS Inventory.
    • Conference is in less than two weeks. Agenda is on-line. Addressing, Parcels and NextGen 911 will be key topics. Panel discussion includes GeoComm, DOT, NENA and others.
    • Motion by Marsh and seconded by Donze to submit our NSGIC ballot with Andrew Rowan for President-Elect as well as Cheryl Benjamin, Tony Spicci and Nathan Watermeier for the Board of Directors.
    1. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

    8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock

    • Taken possession of about a dozen new LiDAR counties, heading to MSDIS for their posting
    • FEMA might be collecting some data in the Southwest
    • Forest Service has contract for LiDAR with STL Corp to 1,313 sq miles of QL1 LiDAR data. Will hope to continue future year projects in National Forest. They are excited about future analysis on the data
    • Still waiting on a GIS Specialist job to be posted.

     

    8.2 USGS — David Nail

    • 3DEP BAA deadline of 10/10, but will remain open
    • Kentucky also collecting LiDAR statewide in a 5 year program supporting a 1M DEM generally with some higher density data

     

     

    8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True

    • Working on high resolution land cover in the EW Gateway region. First 1/3rd is now available from Jenny Reiman at EW Gateway.

     

    8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson

    • Had 7 vendors at the conference with ~70 attendees. Hoping to continue growth trend.

     

    8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole

    • No report. Surveyor’s conference is in process in St. Louis

     

    1. Round table Discussion
    • Spicci – EGIS is ramping up to the vision the organization has for it. Tim Bixler has been heading up the effort and has done a great job. Many new apps for internal use have been developed through a partnership with Mizzou. For instance, creel checks with fisherman and CDW check station with deer hunters in the CWD zone.
    • Schloss – Two GIS vacanciesState IT has a cloud review committee to review cloud applications for the State. ArcGIS Online is being vetted now. They are using a governance document from Minnesota as a starting point. Information on this will be sent to the list serve.
    • Embedding Google maps is no longer allowable without an API key with the new terms and condition. This impacts any new updates to those maps.
    • Vogt – MSDIS is still in talks about the campus data group about being an option for an affordable storage source vs. Amazon storage or other.NTIA just closed a broadband questioning session.
    • Tim H continues search MSDIS funding support.
    • Howell – The guard is / will be hampered by limited funding due to the Continuing Resolution until a federal budget is passed. Last 4th quarter they purchased some new Tremble equipment and software.  Jill – Talk to Buster about this at Jeff City.
    • Johnson – MO GIS Conference Committee and MoNAD meeting will follow.
    1. Next meeting: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO

     

    Meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

    partnership with Mizzou. For instance, creel checks with fisherman and CDW check station with deer hunters in the CWD zone.

  • Schloss – Two GIS vacanciesState IT has a cloud review committee to review cloud applications for the State. ArcGIS Online is being vetted now. They are using a governance document from Minnesota as a starting point. Information on this will be sent to the list serve.
  • Embedding Google maps is no longer allowable without an API key with the new terms and condition. This impacts any new updates to those maps.
  • Vogt – MSDIS is still in talks about the campus data group about being an option for an affordable storage source vs. Amazon storage or other.NTIA just closed a broadband questioning session.
  • Tim H continues search MSDIS funding support.
  • Howell – The guard is / will be hampered by limited funding due to the Continuing Resolution until a federal budget is passed. Last 4th quarter they purchased some new Tremble equipment and software.  Jill – Talk to Buster about this at Jeff City.
  • Johnson – MO GIS Conference Committee and MoNAD meeting will follow.
  1. Next meeting: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

Comments are closed.